ThrustCurve.org motor availability

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCoker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am going through a cleanup process on ThrustCurve.org to make sure it is complete and mostly to mark motors which are no longer available. I've added an availability field to the motor entries, and default searches now exclude out of production (OOP) motors.

The first step was to mark motors from defunct manufacturers. Following steps will be to merge lists per manufacturer with the entries in the database.

Last edited:
Tonight I completed updating CTI (including AMW) motors. All CTI motors in the database should have availability correctly marked and should have the latest designations, correct case and propellant types.

Jeroen put together a master list of CTI motors and I was able to cross-reference the motors in the database from that. I've attached that list on CSV and XLSX formats for those who are interested.
View attachment cti-summary.zip

John will you be adding the new Aero Tech DMS motors?
AFAIK, I added the last set announced some time ago except for the H550ST which isn't in the database. I have the thrust curve ready when it is added.

... the H550ST which isn't in the database. I have the thrust curve ready when it is added.
Was there an announcement? I just see reports of people flying demos, but if there is an announcement (with all the stats), we'll have the info needed.

It is an imperfect system. I do not do Facebook.

As John and I hold no formal positions with any of the testing groups. We frequently hear of motor announcements when the rest of you do.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

One motor I see missing is the AeroTech 29/180 G75J, which I believe is TRA-certified.

Sorry, user error there!

That is ok. Believe me when I say that John and I would rather have you point out an error even if it proves to be false. There is a lot of information on the site, and believe me when I say we have missed motors or made typos- we are human.

Mark Koelsch

Once again I find myself in your debt with respect to providing rocketry resources.

Been using Thrustcurve.org for several years and carry a binder full of printouts for each rocket I fly. It certainly makes choosing motors on the fly/at the field a whole lot easier. I run a sim, cut and paste the resulting table into MS Word, do a bit of formatting for legibility, print the page out, and file it in the binder. It goes with me every trip to the range.

I have forgotten to thank you for work you do keeping it current.

Thank you.

OK, I just went through the Loki Research motors listed on their site and updated the propellant and case info. Only one motor in the database appears to be OOP (the H500).

OK, I've gone through the (short) list of Quest motors and almost half of what was in the database appears to now be OOP.

All Gorilla Rocket Motors motors are updated (missing motors added) and the OOP ones marked as such. There are several motors missing data, so if anyone has sim files, please upload them. (Sadly, the links on the Gorilla web site are broken.)

John & Mark - Thank you for keeping this resource available and current. It quickly became, and has remained an invaluable part of my builds.

I went through the list of Estes motors and made sure the delays were correct. Only one motor seemed to be OOP (the D11).

The D11 is sort of still in production. If you place a big enough order they'll run a batch. There's a thread somewhere on this forum about it.

The D11 is sort of still in production. If you place a big enough order they'll run a batch. There's a thread somewhere on this forum about it.
Thanks, I've changed the availability to "occasional", which means it will show up in searches again.

I have marked all nine R.A.T.T. Works motors as active (including the two tribrids). By the way, there are no thrust curves for those tribrids uploaded yet, so if someone wants to make a curve, printed data for the K350 is on the site.

Now that availability info has been set for all motors, I have modified the Motor Guide and Browser to exclude OOP motors. Those old motors can still be found under the manufacturer or via advanced search.

John, is there a way to browse by propellant type? Red, blue, sparky, etc?

John, is there a way to browse by propellant type? Red, blue, sparky, etc?
Not currently. The propellant info in the DB doesn't always indicate color; usually it's a trademark for a motor type or propellant color, so they aren't consistent across manufacturers. Also, even within manufacturers, the name often doesn't indicate color ('V-Max', 'Fast', 'Warp-9') so even a wildcard search wouldn't give you useful colors.

We would have to maintain a separate color entry, translating the trademarked names. That would be possible, but more work so I'd want to know that searching/browsing by color was a common desire.

Not currently. The propellant info in the DB doesn't always indicate color; usually it's a trademark for a motor type or propellant color, so they aren't consistent across manufacturers. Also, even within manufacturers, the name often doesn't indicate color ('V-Max', 'Fast', 'Warp-9') so even a wildcard search wouldn't give you useful colors.

We would have to maintain a separate color entry, translating the trademarked names. That would be possible, but more work so I'd want to know that searching/browsing by color was a common desire.

I would rather have better coverage for burn time. So many are listed as unknown... couldn't that be automatically extracted from the files?

Also, it would be nice to have increased time resolution in the browser so we could select those with <0.5 second burns.

John, what about a column for propellant type instead of color? Is that possible?

Greg

So many are listed as unknown... couldn't that be automatically extracted from the files?
I just did a query and of the motors with regular availability, only the Micro Maxx has a missing burn time. If you see lots of missing burn times, that's probably a bug.

Also, it would be nice to have increased time resolution in the browser so we could select those with <0.5 second burns.
Good idea; I'll look into it.

Back