ThrustCurve.org motor availability

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, what about a column for propellant type instead of color? Is that possible?
Yeah, that would be possible, especially now that the propellant types have been mostly cleaned up. Where would it be most useful?

The reason I didn't add it to the browser before was that they were different across manufacturers, so selecting a type would narrow it down to a single manufacturer, which I suspect isn't actually what you would want. (The same problem exists for search.)

I'd like to understand the actual use cases before implementing it because I couldn't think of something that worked in a reasonable way when I built the search and browser features.

I'd like to understand the actual use cases before implementing it

It's not always about the numbers. :) I appreciate it would be more sensible to code a query by "manufacturer and propellant" rather just on propellant alone.

Just for example.

I've built a rocket, "The Love Missile". What pink loads are available?

I love sparky motors. What's available in 54mm?

Thanks for considering it. :)

I think color would be fine rather than manufacturer specific propellant names. White, red, pink, blue, green, dark smoky, sparky, clear, and special.

Special would be Imax, which shifts color and has thick smoke. Unless you would put that with smoky motors.

That is ok. Believe me when I say that John and I would rather have you point out an error even if it proves to be false. There is a lot of information on the site, and believe me when I say we have missed motors or made typos- we are human.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum
Here's one I noticed the other day. Probably wouldn't lead to any issues, but incorrect none the less. The Aerotech L1000 DMS is listed as 29mm, it is actually 54mm.

The Aerotech L1000 DMS is listed as 29mm, it is actually 54mm.
All the DMS motors got set to 29mm, so I fixed the ones that should be 38 and 54mm.

Thanks for the sharp eyes. I had to write a Ruby script to parse the AT order form spreadsheets, which aren't in a very consistent format so there may be more of these sorts of errors.

I think color would be fine rather than manufacturer specific propellant names. White, red, pink, blue, green, dark smoky, sparky, clear, and special.
Special would be Imax, which shifts color and has thick smoke. Unless you would put that with smoky motors.

Here are all the distinct propellant types we have in the DB. Note that "—" means missing data. (I've also uploaded a CSV file for those interested.) It sounds like there are three possible things people are interested in:
  • propellant type: unique to manufacturer (Metalstorm, Skidmark)
  • color: standardized across manufacturer (red, green, blue)
  • effects: standardized across manufacturer (sparky, smoky)
I'm not against adding those capabilities if people really think they're useful, but we would need to setup and maintain the manufacturer-specific names to the generic attribute mapping.

AeroTech—12
AeroTechBlackjack12
AeroTechBlue Thunder47
AeroTechDark Matter10
AeroTechFast Blackjack16
AeroTechMetalstorm6
AeroTechMojave Green12
AeroTechPropellant X1
AeroTechRedline32
AeroTechWarp-913
AeroTechWhite Lightning83
Animal Motor Works—2
Animal Motor WorksBlack Bear6
Animal Motor WorksBlue Baboon16
Animal Motor WorksGreen Gorilla10
Animal Motor WorksRed Rhino12
Animal Motor WorksScalded Tiger2
Animal Motor WorksSkidmark17
Animal Motor WorksSuper Tiger5
Animal Motor WorksTamed Tiger5
Animal Motor WorksWhite Wolf11
Animal Motor WorksWild Wolf3
Apogee Components—10
Apogee Componentscomposite2
Cesaroni Technology—10
Cesaroni TechnologyBlue Streak33
Cesaroni TechnologyC-Star3
Cesaroni TechnologyC-Star (FAST)1
Cesaroni TechnologyC-Star (SLOW)3
Cesaroni TechnologyClassic40
Cesaroni TechnologyGreen311
Cesaroni TechnologyImax15
Cesaroni TechnologyMellow8
Cesaroni TechnologyPink5
Cesaroni TechnologyRed Lightning26
Cesaroni TechnologySkidmark30
Cesaroni TechnologySmoky Sam23
Cesaroni TechnologyVmax22
Cesaroni TechnologyWhite35
Cesaroni TechnologyWhite Thunder30
Contrail Rockets—67
Estes Industriesblack powder16
Estes Industriescomposite6
Gorilla Rocket MotorsBack Lightning1
Gorilla Rocket MotorsBlack Lightning13
Gorilla Rocket MotorsBlue Typhoon3
Gorilla Rocket MotorsGreen Tornado7
Gorilla Rocket MotorsRed Twister8
Gorilla Rocket MotorsWhite Cloud22
Hypertek—42
Kosdon by AeroTech—13
Kosdon by AeroTechKosdon Fast2
Kosdon by AeroTechMojave Green2
Kosdon by AeroTechRedline6
Kosdon by AeroTechWhite Lightning5
Loki ResearchLoki Blue5
Loki ResearchLoki Red5
Loki ResearchLoki White18
Loki ResearchSpitfire10
Quest Aerospaceblack powder11
R.A.T.T. Works—7
R.A.T.T. WorksTribrid: ABS/Alcohol/Nitrous2
Southern Cross Rocketryblack powder3

View attachment propellant.zip

Yeah, that would be possible, especially now that the propellant types have been mostly cleaned up. Where would it be most useful?

The reason I didn't add it to the browser before was that they were different across manufacturers, so selecting a type would narrow it down to a single manufacturer, which I suspect isn't actually what you would want. (The same problem exists for search.)

I'd like to understand the actual use cases before implementing it because I couldn't think of something that worked in a reasonable way when I built the search and browser features.

How about this scenario: You are looking at what motors to buy at an upcoming launch that has a burn ban where you can fly, but just not fly sparky motors. You could cull those motors that you wanted to avoid and come up with a list to bring to your vendor.

Another one: You are looking for a cluster where motors share a particular propellant type. Having options to pick from would help that process.

Thanks for considering it.

Greg

I think that you may have missed an estes motor, the a10-0t. I tried doing the file myself using thrust curve tracer, but it has produced a .eng file, need to work it out to a rasp to use with rocksim. Or am I missing something? Quite possible, I'm kinda a noob at the whole rocketry software thing.

I think that you may have missed an estes motor, the a10-0t.
Is that not this one?

I tried doing the file myself using thrust curve tracer, but it has produced a .eng file, need to work it out to a rasp to use with rocksim.
The "eng" suffix is for RASP format files. RockSim will read both RASP (*.eng) and RockSim (*.rse) formats, but RASP is more universal.

Last edited:
I like the search results in the latest iteration, however I would like to see if there is a way to display the required hardware. Perhaps in lieu of the certification organization (which I find of dubious value as most everything certified is across all organizations by the reciprocity agreements)?

I would rather have better coverage for burn time. So many are listed as unknown... couldn't that be automatically extracted from the files?
I have update the data for the Quest Micro Maxx motor (the only one with regular availability that didn't have a burn time). Also I marked the Micro Maxx II as OOP since I don't see it for sale on the Quest site and the NAR certification page has a broken link for it.

Also, it would be nice to have increased time resolution in the browser so we could select those with <0.5 second burns.
Done; the motor browser now has categories for ½s (0 &#8722; 0.59) and ¾s (0.6 &#8722; 0.95).

I have update the data for the Quest Micro Maxx motor (the only one with regular availability that didn't have a burn time). Also I marked the Micro Maxx II as OOP since I don't see it for sale on the Quest site and the NAR certification page has a broken link for it.

The Micro Maxx II replaced the original Micro Maxx. You might notice that while the NAR lists the Micro Maxx as being certified for general use, the Micro Maxx II is contest certified which means that it is available.

As for that broken link, the Wayback Machine sees all: https://web.archive.org/web/20130921221939/https://nar.org/SandT/pdf/Quest/MicroMaxxII.pdf

The Micro Maxx II replaced the original Micro Maxx. You might notice that while the NAR lists the Micro Maxx as being certified for general use, the Micro Maxx II is contest certified which means that it is available.

As for that broken link, the Wayback Machine sees all: https://web.archive.org/web/20130921221939/https://nar.org/SandT/pdf/Quest/MicroMaxxII.pdf

If you know of any other broken links, please let me know. The NAR website is undergoing a makeover and is supposed to debut on Monday. It's supposed to be easier for the S &T web guy to find the missing files (it's there somewhere) and fix the links.

Thanks; I updated the Micro Maxx II entry from that data sheet and marked the other one as OOP.

If you know of any other broken links, please let me know. The NAR website is undergoing a makeover and is supposed to debut on Monday. It's supposed to be easier for the S &T web guy to find the missing files (it's there somewhere) and fix the links.
I look forward to that. Hopefully it will be easier to see recent changes in the certification list and obsolete motors will be removed.

I look forward to that. Hopefully it will be easier to see recent changes in the certification list and obsolete motors will be removed.

There's a Constant Contact mailing list that gets all the new NAR certifications and announcements. Are you on that list? We don't send out notices on the TRA and CAR stuff so I'm not sure how you'd get their information other than look at the list. I do keep a running list of all the changes so, if you're in doubt about something, just email me and I can look it up.

Mark,

Do you still maintain and post comprehensive Rocksim files that contain each manufacturer's motors like you did on Rocketry Planet? With all the new motors out I'm starting to find that my database is missing a bunch of them.

Thanks,

Andrew

Okay, I figured out how to add names. Send me the email addresses you want the notices sent to and I'll take care of it.

Bill, I tried to send you a pm with my email, but your pm box is full.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back