Dual Parachutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conman13

Reaction score
Ok I am getting to launch my Calvin&Hobbes 2 stage rocket on Sunday. For the booster I need to use 2 24" parachutes because I do not have a 36' one.(ok...ok I have a plastic one but I don't want to use it) what I need to know is how to attach the parachutes to the shock cord and where to attach them relative to each other. Also how do I go about packing them into the airframe and making sure they don't tangle when the come out?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

-Connor

I never done this before, but I would probably mount maybe a couple feet apart from each on the shock cord and use a riser line for each. I figure this way they are far enough apart not to tangle? I'm probably wrong I'm sure there might be better ways?

I made a Y harness for the double chute setup in my 3" Darkstar. I'd never done it before either, this worked out well.

image.jpg

So then I take it that it would be ok to attach them to the same spot on the shock cord?

The chutes are attached to each leg of the Y, and the center (bottom) of the Y is attached to the shock cord - only one attachment point on shock cord.

I got that but I don't have have enough time to make a harness because I'm leaving tomorrow(also don't have any spare kevlar). Do you think it would've ok to attach the to the same point on the shock cord without the harness?

I see. Without room for them to keep away from each other, I wouldn't.

I had some kevlar that ousted to make a y harness. It is not 1/8" but it should do. It was either this or the elastic that comes with the estes pro series 2 kits.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403825908.701361.jpg

Thanks chadrog:):)

That should do the trick, good luck with the flight. As far as packing the chutes went, I just packed them as I would any other, and put them In the payload one on top the other. Don't know if that's proper, but it seems to work.
image.jpg

That should do the trick, good luck with the flight. As far as packing the chutes went, I just packed them as I would any other, and put them In the payload one on top the other. Don't know if that's proper, but it seems to work.
View attachment 175757

ok sounds good. I don't see a problem with putting one on top of another as long as you wrap the shroud line around the canopy.

You can attach both chutes at the same point as in a quick link that was attached to the shroud lines of the chute to the same anchor on the shock cord as the other chute. I have done it several times with no trouble. The air spilling out of the chutes keep them separated.

thanks everybody the small Y harness I made worked just fine. its good to know that they can be attached at he same point.

Back