How many chutes do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many chutes do you have?

• 0-5

• 6-10

• 11-15

• 16-20

• 20+

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just curious how many chutes most of you have. I know that it helps to have a variety so if the weather conditions change you are more perpared. I seem to collect chutes and not meaning too because most of the kits you buy always has a chutes so it's easy to build up a collection.

All I'm gonna say is I'm worse than dix! At one time my wife made some chutes for Boyce Aerospace- so not all are 'commercial'.

Changing chutes out takes time, I'm all about flying rockets. I have dozens of chutes, boxes of chutes, chutes in rockets and piles of chutes laying on the floor in the front room. I just ordered a drogue chute for a rocket I don't even have yet.....
Did someone say "chute fetish?"

Changing chutes out takes time, I'm all about flying rockets. I have dozens of chutes, boxes of chutes, chutes in rockets and piles of chutes laying on the floor in the front room. I just ordered a drogue chute for a rocket I don't even have yet.....
Did someone say "chute fetish?"

Yeah I suppose it takes some time, but it's just a matter of losening a quick link I guess that's all the time it takes me. I guess it's cool to have a lot of chutes to choose from?

For me, it'd be easier to measure by the pound...my parachute bag easily weighs 30 pounds....and it doesn't have the big ones in it.

-Kevin

Depends - are we just counting purchased chutes, like nylon ones? Or can we include in all the plastic ones that have come with Estes, Quest, Fliskits, etc?

Purchased - a couple of dozen
Including plastic ones with kits - a couple of hundred

Plastic does NOT count. Sorry.
I'm with Wayco-it's a pain to calc desent rates over and over for a certain rocket and if you only have a couple of that size-what are you gonna fly? With what motor? Thermals today? Cold? Winds aloft? What's a drogue today and a chute tomorrow? At one time I took all the chutes out of everything and absolutely hated it. I can change out an optimum chute as conditions dictate, but fishing for the right chute to dress a naked shock cord just sucks if you are prepping for a launch window. I'll move nomex, but it's just one less stress factor to deal with if the optimal chute is already there. I do wish the desert was covered in sod, but that's just me!

Last edited:
For me, it'd be easier to measure by the pound...my parachute bag easily weighs 30 pounds....and it doesn't have the big ones in it.

-Kevin
Think I'll try that next week-maybe not a good idea in front of the Viking Princess, tho'....

I'm with Wayco-it's a pain to calc desent rates over and over for a certain rocket and if you only have a couple of that size-what are you gonna fly? With what motor? Thermals today? Cold? Winds aloft? What's a drogue today and a chute tomorrow? At one time I took all the chutes out of everything and absolutely hated it. I can change out an optimum chute as conditions dictate, but fishing for the right chute to dress a naked shock cord just sucks if you are prepping for a launch window. I'll move nomex, but it's just one less stress factor to deal with if the optimal chute is already there. I do wish the desert was covered in sod, but that's just me!

Really? The hundred 16 inchers I bought off eBay don't count? Then what the f are all my little rockets going to come 'in' on, a pillow of air? I've built about 30 of them so far and about 10 larger ones from mylar space blanket, they don't count, either?....ok....w/e... :eyeroll:

Last edited:
Really? The hundred 16 inchers I bought off eBay don't count? Then what the f are all my little rockets going to come on, a pillow of air? I've built about 30 of them so far and about 10 larger ones from mylar space blanket, they don't count, either?....ok....w/e... :eyeroll:

They float down like little snowflakes on pillows of air, where they gently nestle into a bed of daisies. On landing, their every desire is handled by a team of glorious butterflies in all the colors of the rainbow.

Well, that's what would happen if Disney wrote the story. :p

I don't keep my LPR chutes in The Bag. I don't even know how many of those I have.

This is another thread we're all agreeing not to show to spouses, right?!

-Kevin

Really? The hundred 16 inchers I bought off eBay don't count? Then what the f are all my little rockets going to come on, a pillow of air? I've built about 30 of them so far and about 10 larger ones from mylar space blanket, they don't count, either?....ok....w/e... :eyeroll:
Whoa- easy chief! No offense intended. I met afterburner at an HPR launch and thot that was the discussion threshold. I know some of you guys literally have thousands and some made from pretty exotic material. Maybe only Kevin could mano y mano with the LPR faction. There's a blurry line between MPR/LPR and my experience with plastic above 30" was almost comical. My success ratio with plastic is about 1:1. One chute-launch, replace chute. I suck at packing plastic. No disrespect, Dave. If you can fly the same chute three times-you are one of my Rocket Gods!

Last edited:

YEAH! I like that idea.

Maybe only Kevin could mano y mano with the LPR faction.

Not even close! There are guys with hundreds of LPR rockets, and my bet is they have a chute for each one of them, or pretty close. Even if you count unbuilt rockets, I don't have 100 rockets. And if I do, I'm not discussing it, as you ratfinks will let that little gem leak to my wife, and we just can't have that happening!

-Kevin

i have one plastic chute with a big spill hole that has been my lucky parachute. i have launched it about 100 times and have no plans
to replace it. iam launching minimum diameter E9's and this parachute works good every time. here is a video of this chute in action, check out the big spill hole.

[video=youtube;btWybsC9QbU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btWybsC9QbU[/video]

I answered the poll with the number of chutes I actually use which is about 6-7.

They are mostly K&S Rocketry ($$) and Fruity Chutes ($$$$). Other chutes (unused) are your standard LPR and MPR which are relatively effective and inexpensive.

I understand what you and Wayco are saying. Leave the ideal chute in the rocket, but if anything changes only change it out then. Correct?

Whoa- easy chief! No offense intended. I met afterburner at an HPR launch and thot that was the discussion threshold. I know some of you guys literally have thousands and some made from pretty exotic material. Maybe only Kevin could mano y mano with the LPR faction. There's a blurry line between MPR/LPR and my experience with plastic above 30" was almost comical. My success ratio with plastic is about 1:1. One chute-launch, replace chute. I suck at packing plastic. No disrespect, Dave. If you can fly the same chute three times-you are one of my Rocket Gods!

I agree fyrwrxz about using plastic. I should have made it clear in the thread that I was talking about nylon, but most of the guys here know that it goes without saying.

I agree fyrwrxz about using plastic. I should have made it clear in the thread that I was talking about nylon, but most of the guys here know that it goes without saying.

...gee...guess I ain't included in "most of the guys".... :( I still have more than 20 nylon and silk 'chutes, most I made myself.

One for every one of my rockets (plus a few extras). I'm not really into interchanging chutes between rockets.

At last count, I had something like 180ish rockets (more now), presuming that the 3 mosquitoes I have are compensated for by the number of rockets with two (or more) parachutes, I'd say I have somewhere around 200 - 230 parachutes in various stages of assembly and/or use presuming that I could find them all. This doesn't count those lost to trees.

I answered the poll with the number of chutes I actually use which is about 6-7.

They are mostly K&S Rocketry ($$) and Fruity Chutes ($$$$). Other chutes (unused) are your standard LPR and MPR which are relatively effective and inexpensive.
I have bunches, but use just my CATO's and Top Flights for the most part. I'll use the factory 'chutes in the small rockets where nylon won't fit.

At last count, I had something like 180ish rockets (more now), presuming that the 3 mosquitoes I have are compensated for by the number of rockets with two (or more) parachutes, I'd say I have somewhere around 200 - 230 parachutes in various stages of assembly and/or use presuming that I could find them all. This doesn't count those lost to trees.

180? Really! That's insane! I guess you will never need to buy anymore.

I have bunches, but use just my CATO's and Top Flights for the most part. I'll use the factory 'chutes in the small rockets where nylon won't fit.

I like Topflight.. I have couple TARC Fruity chutes and they work great. (20" and 24") I used the 24" on my AT Initiator and it brought it down without any damage and it looked like it was descending nicely. Not too fast.

I have probably 6-10 chutes. (I can't answer the poll on mobile)

I finally had the idea of marking on each chute what size and weight range it was for. On the chute itself.

I just got tired of "what size chute is this" "this one might work with a 9pound rocket". So every chute is marked xx" x-xxlbs done.

I switch chutes from rockets all the time. Quicklink and go.

Iv got a 36,48,58,72,just destroyed my 120"(anyone selling), and a 336"(everyone should have one of these).

Back