Coming Soon - Fury (Brad Pitt)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their turrets were hand crancked, not motorized either.
I bet there was on guy who had a great pump after a 30 min. battle!
I also watch the Heros Channell, Greatest Tank Battles.
My dad was a Marine so he was in the Pacific Theator.
How many people you personally know that are still alive that fought in WWII?

My dad was a Marine so he was in the Pacific Theator.

If he's still with us, thank him for me. Seriously.

Have you seen this outstanding HBO mini-series, now available on DVD? If not, you definitely should. All WWII buffs should. To me, it's fully on par with Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan:

The Pacific

https://www.hbo.com/the-pacific#/

It's based upon two non-fiction books: With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge and Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie.

As many of your probably know, the Pacific theater was unusually brutal due to both the terrain and the fanatical enemy. I can imagine how many must have come back from it with severe PTSD, something not recognized well at the time.

For a great 1946 film about GIs returning from WWII (ones without significant PTSD in this case, but one with a severe injury: no hands), see "The Best Years of Our Lives." A real classic.

For the best WWII book I've ever read, read "The Forgotten Soldier" which is about the Eastern Front from the German perspective. Years ago I asked in a military history forum for recommendations for the "best book I've ever read" about WWII and that was the one that was overwhelmingly suggested. I've read it twice over the years and will probably read it again.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1574882864/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If I had my way, it would be required reading for high school students, possibly guys only since I don't think gals would get into it at all. It should take the place of "All Quiet on the Western Front."

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw it tonight and it gets an A- up to the point where Shia eats his (crackers) rations, about two thirds of the way through. That last battle scene is totally Hollywood bringing the total grade down to B-. Still it is better than Saving Ryan's Privates which went from an A start to an F finish for an overall C. Great on screen tank battles and they even approach the taboo subject of "Kraut girls are easy" in a nice, 21st century PC manner. Pitt turns Shia from a wuss to a good Nazi killing machine. But in the end Pitt goes Fight Club, turns into a super Audie Murphy. The director falls into his "Alien" past, only this time it is not space monsters but SS kids attacking the ship. Shia has a touching moment when he is back in his HOLE. So, it is well worth seeing in the theater. I went to one where I could get a Milk Stout and burger to get me through the last battle scene.

I just saw it tonight and it gets an A- up to the point where Shia eats his (crackers) rations, about two thirds of the way through. That last battle scene is totally Hollywood bringing the total grade down to B-. Still it is better than Saving Ryan's Privates which went from an A start to an F finish for an overall C. Great on screen tank battles and they even approach the taboo subject of "Kraut girls are easy" in a nice, 21st century PC manner. Pitt turns Shia from a wuss to a good Nazi killing machine. But in the end Pitt goes Fight Club, turns into a super Audie Murphy. The director falls into his "Alien" past, only this time it is not space monsters but SS kids attacking the ship. Shia has a touching moment when he is back in his HOLE. So, it is well worth seeing in the theater. I went to one where I could get a Milk Stout and burger to get me through the last battle scene.

So, instead of Shaving Ryan's Privates, you prefer Furry?

Back