My Mudroc flight report and experiences

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4kids49

Taz
Reaction score
I went to Mudroc at the Black Rock desert, and the experience was amazing. I don't have any video or great liftoff photos, but here are some of my experiences.

IMG_3035.jpg

Lay of the land early Thurs. evening.

IMG_3036.jpg

Home sweet home.

View attachment 175599

My Badd Azz Space Cowboy on the pad. Badd on the Padd

Flight was awesome. I lost this rocket on on K300 when lost transmission on the ground. You can read about it on my build thread at
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?66281-My-Badd-Azz-Space-Cowboy

IMG_3041.jpg

I had three flights of my Polecat 5.5 inch Nike Smoke.

IMG_3043.jpg

Landing after flying on AT J350 White Lighting.

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

My LOC IV went up on a CTI H123 Skidmark. Easy up and easy down. Got in my car and had to hit the gas to run it down being dragged by the wind. Nice damage to top of booster tube from dragging.

IMG_3047.jpg

View out my tent. Winds from behind. Ironically, my Space Cowboy is lost out at the far end of this view.

Attachments

• IMG_3039.jpg
    IMG_3039.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3048.jpg
    IMG_3048.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
IMG_3048.jpg

second flight of my Nike Smoke on an AT J420 Red. Awesome flight. My Nike Smoke flies straight and is a great flyer.

IMG_3053.jpg

Interesting landing.

Third flight of my Nike Smoke was on a CTI J595 Blue Streak. Motor cato'd burning through aft nozzle threads. It blew off my Aero Pack retainer that was JB Welded on. The paper tube underneath the JB Weld gave way. This probably saved my rocket from further damage.

The launch weekend was awesome. The AeroPac people were great and worked really hard. I got to meet a ton of fun and nice people. I can't wait to get back.

Was your Space Cowboy marked with your name and phone number? People find rockets out there from time to time. I am guessing it is on the edge of the Playa stuck on a bush from being blown by the wind.

I went out three times searching for Chris's rocket. Mostly the very edge of the playa and top of the Quinn River dune. I found two other rockets but not Chris's. The first time I was on my motorcycle, the other two times in my truck. I did find a couple of 'soft' place in my truck getting up on top of the Quinn River dune. I'll take another look at the next launch.

Tony

I went out three times searching for Chris's rocket. Mostly the very edge of the playa and top of the Quinn River dune. I found two other rockets but not Chris's. The first time I was on my motorcycle, the other two times in my truck. I did find a couple of 'soft' place in my truck getting up on top of the Quinn River dune. I'll take another look at the next launch.

Tony

Thanks Tony. You da man! I really appreciate it. Great launch weekend. You guys work hard. Now I have to figure out how to get back out there soon and launch some more.

Hi Chris - great launch report and photos! Thanks for posting. Hope to maybe catch you at BALLS or XPRS this year!

Hi Chris - great launch report and photos! Thanks for posting. Hope to maybe catch you at BALLS or XPRS this year!

Thanks Wilson. I would love to get to one of those. Will see if I can clear it with my wife.

Hey Karl. Your flights all weekend were great. So sorry about the Space Cowboy. Hopefully it will turn up. You should really try to come back for XPRS if you can. It's easily twice the size of MUDROC.

Hey Karl. Your flights all weekend were great. So sorry about the Space Cowboy. Hopefully it will turn up. You should really try to come back for XPRS if you can. It's easily twice the size of MUDROC.

I will get there if I can. I hope that other people publish their flight reports. The Aerojet team's project and Curt von Delius' project were spectacular.

I did 2 flights I'll admit to!

This one https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?57199-My-2013-Balls-Project&p=723551#post723551

and a small 98mm min dia to 24K

Ryan and David's flight and build https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?66948-MLP-(HB2-1)-Rocket-Flight-to-63k-ft-M3-9

Curt von Delius is getting into the 2 stage act N3400-N1100 Had an awesome rocket that simm'ed to 141K. It housed some very interesting tricks. He had a bit of an issue but was able to prove how strong the rocket was.

Tony

I did 2 flights I'll admit to!

This one https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?57199-My-2013-Balls-Project&p=723551#post723551

and a small 98mm min dia to 24K

Ryan and David's flight and build https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?66948-MLP-(HB2-1)-Rocket-Flight-to-63k-ft-M3-9

Curt von Delius is getting into the 2 stage act N3400-N1100 Had an awesome rocket that simm'ed to 141K. It housed some very interesting tricks. He had a bit of an issue but was able to prove how strong the rocket was.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I saw your nice flights and post. I missed the flight post of David and Ryan. I did have the privilege of camping next to Curt and Monica and seeing their project up close. They are very nice. I also got to see Curt's 20 ft custom tower that he built. He had a few glitches, but amazing stuff that he does.

Back