Wayco’s Dark Star Extreme

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That rocket looks awesome. I hope your shoulder heals quickly and you have a successful attempt.

That fin can looks awesome Wayne. Great build thread too. Hope you can recover in time for Airfest, I sure want to see you get your L3.

Great paint job as usual. I hope you get better and make it to Airfest, good luck!

Don't worry, honey - we'll make it to Airfest.

I bought you this:

traileroutside.jpg

Well, as you can see, we did have to modify our trip plans somewhat. I was losing sleep trying to figure out how I was going to pack "Comfort's Condo" one handed and Sharon came up with an IDEA Monday. She did a search on Google for one of the travel trailers we had been looking at earlier this year and found a used one that Grosser our GMC Sierra can handle. We looked at it yesterday and it was like new 2014 with about 100 miles on it. Downside is that the Cajun tent city will be minus a desert rat tent, or two...
We will probably have to setup in the back row with our 27 ft. toy hauler.
In other news, I took apart my N/C today and removed the Eggfinder. I'm redesigning the sled configuration to keep the antenna inside the N/C. Not much left to do. I ordered the cert motor from Bay Area Rocketry, Mike has an L-3 cert special where you get an AT M1297 and the 5120 casing complete for $508. Also ordered a bunch more propellant from Wildman for delivery at Airfest, good thing I have a big trailer to bring it back in!
THANKS HONEY!

Wow... Need to get one of those for my "there has to be running water if I'm going" wife. Oh, and good luck at Airfest.
Thanks Dave, Airfest is going to be the shakedown run for this rig. Talk about jumping in the deep end! We definitely have the running water part down, with a 100 gallon water tank and an outside shower. I'm thinking we will set up a casing cleaning station here:
outsidewater.jpg

Don't worry, honey - we'll make it to Airfest.

I bought you this:

traileroutside.jpg

Does the Jeep fit ?

Also Wayco Fyrwrxz Exactimator CaveDuck and I , made a pact at ROCstock that if we attended a launch together we would continue to bunk up together - so WE are looking forward to the new condo too.

Congrats..dont forget to add a flag holder !

Kenny

1406821112215.jpg

Does the Jeep fit ?

Also Wayco Fyrwrxz Exactimator CaveDuck and I , made a pact at ROCstock that if we attended a launch together we would continue to bunk up together - so WE are looking forward to the new condo too.

Congrats..dont forget to add a flag holder !

Kenny

Funny guy! "Does the Jeep fit?" :rofl: The Jeep with all it's armor and custom roll cage weighs about as much as this trailer does. No way would it ever fit in this trailer. We do have plans to find a small tandem quad that would work for recovery, but that's after we recover from this MAJOR EXPENSE. It was a good deal though, so maybe next year we can find something that will fit.
I don't remember the "pact", but we could fit a couple of extra bodies in if all the rockets had somewhere else to stay. Good luck negotiating with Sharon.
:no:

Funny guy! "Does the Jeep fit?" :rofl: The Jeep with all it's armor and custom roll cage weighs about as much as this trailer does. No way would it ever fit in this trailer. We do have plans to find a small tandem quad that would work for recovery, but that's after we recover from this MAJOR EXPENSE. It was a good deal though, so maybe next year we can find something that will fit.
I don't remember the "pact", but we could fit a couple of extra bodies in if all the rockets had somewhere else to stay. Good luck negotiating with Sharon.
:no:
No way I'm putting up with Wayne's snoring.......

It could still be part of "tent city". There were several Plaster Blaster launches that my tent would not have survived without an RV wind break! Is the new rig going to be able to get into the Eagle Eye site?

It could still be part of "tent city". There were several Plaster Blaster launches that my tent would not have survived without an RV wind break! Is the new rig going to be able to get into the Eagle Eye site?

I think so, we have to get the "NEW" worn off first. The trip to Kansas should do that. We took it to the public scales yesterday after we dumped the fresh water tanks. Yeah, I discovered a second freshwater tank while crawling around under the trailer yesterday. Checked the paperwork the owners gave us, and sure enough it has a second 60 gallon tank! We won't be filling them up until we get there, it adds to much tongue weight. Weight distribution is good when it's dry though. Trailer weighs 7700 lbs. with just over 1000 lbs. tongue weight, and that's well under the rear axle capacity for the truck.
My shoulder is getting better too, I can hold my hand out in front of me without pain. Still can't reach over my head though.
In other news, I finished painting the fincan on the Extreme this morning, got three coats of Dupli-color Clear Effex on before it got too hot. Looks amazingly good. I'm just hoping I can make the payload tube look as good. Hopefully, I will get it done tomorrow morning. Pictures to follow...

As promised:

011-2.jpg

Still haven't gotten the "perfect" shot, but I'm working at it:

014-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

The sparkly iridescent effect is from Dupli-Color "Clear Effex". It's a metallic paint, so I couldn't use it on the N/C. That's where the Eggfinder is located. I coated it with Future.

ummm................................ah.......................................it's um.........................................errr.

wow.

s6

Looks sharp !

I thought there were only two colors on your palet wheel .. so a very nice surprise.

Kenny

Just got in some food for the hawk:
033.jpg

037.jpg

Took advantage of the Bay Area Rocketry L-3 special, an AT M1297 and the Rouse Tech 75/5120 complete casing with closures.

This is the last big piece I needed for my L-3 cert. attempt at Airfest in TWO WEEKS!
:y:

033.jpg

037.jpg

Took advantage of the Bay Area Rocketry L-3 special, an AT M1297 and the Rouse Tech 75/5120 complete casing with closures.

This is the last big piece I needed for my L-3 cert. attempt at Airfest in TWO WEEKS!

Wow ..you are well on your way to Level 3 !

And with that new motor case, you can follow up with a L1365M for nightlaunch after taping a glow stick to the Red Tail Hawks beak !

Countdown to blastoff ..t minus 5 . . .

Kenny

033.jpg

037.jpg

looking forward to seeing it fly! have a safe drive out!

Just thought I would put a proper finish to this thread, the "Red Tailed Extreme" made it's first flight at Airfest on an M1297 White Thunder load. Flying to 13,124 ft. for a new personal best altitude and landing 1.5 miles away, it was recovered using the Eggfinder GPS and an Android running the "Rocket Locator" app.
For more info. on our trip, check out my latest thread "Reflections on Airfest XX":

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?69259-Reflections-on-Airfest-XX&p=754621#top

How much did it weigh?
I flew mine on a Kosdon M 2240 that did 13,091 ft

That would be White Lightning
CTI makes White Thunder.

JD

Just thought I would put a proper finish to this thread, the "Red Tailed Extreme" made it's first flight at Airfest on an M1297 White Thunder load. Flying to 13,124 ft. for a new personal best altitude and landing 1.5 miles away, it was recovered using the Eggfinder GPS and an Android running the "Rocket Locator" app.
For more info. on our trip, check out my latest thread "Reflections on Airfest XX":

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?69259-Reflections-on-Airfest-XX&p=754621#top

How much did it weigh?
I flew mine on a Kosdon M 2240 that did 13,091 ft

That would be White Lightning
CTI makes White Thunder.

JD

Mine weighed 16.2 lbs. 26.5 lbs with motor. Thanks for the correction, I'm always getting those two mixed up. That and Redline/Red lighting.
Did yours have the tailcone?

Yes! Mine was a few inches longer in the payload section.
It did 7,700 ft on the CTI L 1030 Red Lightning.

JD

Mine weighed 16.2 lbs. 26.5 lbs with motor. Thanks for the correction, I'm always getting those two mixed up. That and Redline/Red lighting.
Did yours have the tailcone?

Got around to editing the onboard video

Be sure and choose 1080pHD on this YouTube Video:

[video=youtube;VoshDtQLNys]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoshDtQLNys&index=1&list=UUjJN66C6u2FWjdmsm-B0S-Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoshDtQLNys&index=1&list=UUjJN66C6u2FWjdmsm-B0S-Q[/video]

Sweet video. I like how the sun glints off the tail as it arcs over :)

Congrats!

Back