L1 Build, 3 fins, 4'' OD, 38mm, Bluetube, 3D Rocketry - Hi from the UK

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very impressive build and flight.

Can you tell us what you used for tracking smoke?

Was the stratologger just along for the ride using motor eject? Looks like the first event was about 4 seconds late, and the rocket was traveling at 65 ft/s. Also noticed no change in descent at main event?

Hi Pete :) Congratulations and I hope you get the 29mm adapter I sent you today ;)

I built my L1 attempt last summer but had to put off rocketry for over a year, but just lining up for my attempt now in October.

What was that you put in the fin fillets? Talcum powder?

Using pliers and being outside I remove the supplied friction start visco. Just clamp tight on the visco and pull it out. Do this away from you incase and because it'll stain.

I use 3 small size bits of visco, 1'' long. Insert your ematch all the way and use the visco also all the way down to wedge. I take a small bit of tissue/bog roll and wedge/pack that in.

Masking tape over the top and a small bit on the side to hold the wire.

The match I use flame up plenty, the visco is there as added extra to make sure. The tissue keeps it all in place and the masking tape it extra.

I've just flown my L1 creation on an I540WT. I used 3 of these smoke grenades this time all in red.

Cable tied them together across 3 section, top, middle and bottom. Bit of electrical tape as well.

I used 3'' of visco x3 with the same setup as above, 1 ematch with it all taped together.

On this flight to push my skills more I used my alt for deployment as well. This was to prevent smoking it out inside by using too long of a delay on the motor.

See the video for the result! Watch the rocket appear in recovery

[video=youtube;88Zt3RN9MLg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Zt3RN9MLg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This time I used a longer tether on the smoke and moved the payload. Nothing got colored or cooked. It did get tangled. I've had an idea and will get a new kit that has something already present I will expand on. Stay tunned

Hello!!!!

Yes what a thread revial.

Today I dug this rocket out from the loft. Has seen better day.

I’d like to rebuild it lighter tubing. Any ideas?

No 4” listed

:facepalm: Yes... apologies my mistake - Gary does 4" CF but not phenolic. Glassed Loc tubing, perhaps? I got 3848' on a J425 with that combination, although the lightest 4" I've flown simply comprised stock Loc tubing sealed with a couple of coats of dlluted gorilla glue (aliphatic resin). Gently cured in the drying cupboard and sanded it gives a harder surface, resistant to dings. With that I got 4222' out of a J410 on my L2 flight:

SLCF Nominal flight CTIJ410 3April16.png

Last edited:
:facepalm: Yes... apologies my mistake - Gary does 4" CF but not phenolic. Glassed Loc tubing, perhaps? I got 3848' on a J425 with that combination, although the lightest 4" I've flown simply comprised stock Loc tubing sealed with a couple of coats of dlluted gorilla glue (aliphatic resin). Gently cured in the drying cupboard and sanded it gives a harder surface, resistant to dings. With that I got 4222' out of a J410 on my L2 flight:

View attachment 346115

Carbon be nice. Not cheap. I thought about Loc and a light glassing with a sock perhaps.

Nice rocket looking forward to updates. I’ve been happy with that BlackCat Rocketry vendor. Gary carries 24mm CF tube sizes we can’t get stateside.

Thanks for the update - I thought I might have met you at Midland Sky this weekend just past. I don't know if you've seen already but Blackcat are now stocking 4" seamless phenolic - if that's still an option - see here

Thanks for the update - I thought I might have met you at Midland Sky this weekend just past. I don't know if you've seen already but Blackcat are now stocking 4" seamless phenolic - if that's still an option - see here

I didn’t go. I had various parties and shows to take part with sadly. Just bad timing. Next year I have a project planned. Big!!

I’m debating how best to rebuild this. I need to get the bits off first. I might have a look tonight.

Would be nice to try and keep a decent weight and strength so performance is not lost and smaller motors can be used. The biggest killer I found is the foam fin can. I think that didn’t help.

Would be cool to do a external fin can perhaps. Locking tabs etc.

Anyone know if Upscale CNC is still going?

I just had a look at Blackcat Rocketry. It’s rather expensive as I will need 2 tubes and 1 coupler.

The main BT needs to be 48” or 1219mm.

I also had a thought about going to 54mm motor mount. On reflection of some comments here it does make sense.

Back