BDS Thor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRC

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting this kit from 3" or 4" ...I cant seem to find it...The webpage works but nothing onit links to anything:confused2:

You can scratch build one. The RockSim files are on EMRR.

The Thor was our best selling kit between 2001 and 2006 when I sold BSD to Scott. The 3" Thor is a HOT rocket with the 54mm motor mount. The Thor has been up/down scaled from Micro Max to 18" diameter (possibly larger).

I like the original fin design better. The new ones make it look too much like a Velociraptor.

This is a case where someone should pick up the flag & re-kit the Thor design (and maybe some others, liike the Sonik Blast & Diablo). That is, unless it looks like Scott's gonna start up again.

Are you listening, Wildman??

You can scratch build one. The RockSim files are on EMRR.

The Thor was our best selling kit between 2001 and 2006 when I sold BSD to Scott. The 3" Thor is a HOT rocket with the 54mm motor mount. The Thor has been up/down scaled from Micro Max to 18" diameter (possibly larger).

I like the original fin design better. The new ones make it look too much like a Velociraptor.

Well kudos to you... :clap: :clap: and my loss...Perhaps in the future Ill try to scratch one...(Or keep checking the yard sale section !!)

Thanks !!

My Just Finished all G12 6" THOR, 1st flight will be on an N3700WB at Red Glare 7. See the Video HERE.
TestPhotos060.jpg

REDGLAREVII086-1.jpg
[/IMG]
My 4" THOR

My 3" THOR
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
My Just Finished all G12 6" THOR, 1st flight will be on an N3700WB at Red Glare 7.

You have some very nicely finished Thor rockets.

My 7.5" Level 3 Thor "BIG Thor" flying without decals at GHS 2004. It will fly again on 10/24/09 for my L3 re-certification (I let my memberships lapse).:eek:

BIG Thor Launch.jpg

All beautiful looking rockets guys. So in the sprirts of thor's here is my thor-x, and a photo when it broke in half on a m1315, the data file is interesting..

me with thorA.jpg

thorx24break.jpg

thorxdd.JPG

All beautiful looking rockets guys. So in the sprirts of thor's here is my thor-x, and a photo when it broke in half on a m1315, the data file is interesting..

Gerald, Sunday morning 10:00 AM at GHS, my BIG Thor takes to the sky on an M1550 Red Line. Bob H. will do my TRA L3 certification.

hey Gerald, did you lose that baby after LDRS 26?, she did look good!:)

and Mark, always a pleasure seeing you, I miss the west and Thor-X was a from a early Scott Binder drawings of a 75mm Thor mix. but it does have a
Velociraptor type look. Thats My favorite Rocket to date, she fly's on everything from "H" to "M".:neener:

Then help Scott, made a 4X thor-X for LDRS, she flew on (3) M2200 and a center N4000, man what a ride!!

Now will BSD be back? only the Rocket Gods know for sure!
added note: Scott is getting better and better.:cheers:

Mark : good luck with the re-cert.:clap:

Last edited:
I love my Thor! :D And I am sure glad I had some assistance when I built her! Last flight took her to almost 4,00 ft..Beautiful dual deploy, but dummy me had taken out the chute to use in another rocket!:eek:..Only damage is a slightly 'popped' tube spiral by the fin can, but it is still structurally sound for another flight(s)..

Here she is going up on an I245G

John_C_is_first_off_the_pad.jpg

Mark, always a pleasure seeing you, I miss the west

Don, are you planning to make LDRS next year? My wife wants me to do rocket kits again.:jaw: Ya'd think since she was the one who convinced me to sell BSD she would not want any part of it again. Go figure.:confused2:

This along with the Diablo are my favorite kits. I guess we will be stuck scratch building. I personally would love to see these kits out again. I bought a 4 and 3 inch model from rocketry zone.

hey Gerald, did you lose that baby after LDRS 26?, she did look good!:)

and Mark, always a pleasure seeing you, I miss the west and Thor-X was a from a early Scott Binder drawings of a 75mm Thor mix. but it does have a
Velociraptor type look. Thats My favorite Rocket to date, she fly's on everything from "H" to "M".:neener:

Then help Scott, made a 4X thor-X for LDRS, she flew on (3) M2200 and a center N4000, man what a ride!!

Now will BSD be back? only the Rocket Gods know for sure!
added note: Scott is getting better and better.:cheers:

Mark : good luck with the re-cert.:clap:

The answer is yes!! I now only have 4.3 fingers on the left but all five on the right...for now. I am in hopes to finally be single by march or april, get relocated and set up hopefully by spring. You can check with Don for any updates. Sorry for being gone so long it just could not be helped.

Happy Holidays, Scott

The answer is yes!! I now only have 4.3 fingers on the left but all five on the right...for now. I am in hopes to finally be single by march or april, get relocated and set up hopefully by spring. You can check with Don for any updates. Sorry for being gone so long it just could not be helped.

Hey, Scott, good to "see" you again, and from the sounds of it, you're on the mend, which is even better!

-Kevin

Great news Scott. I wish you continued recovery in your life.

This IS awesome news to see! Glad to know things have turned the corner for the better for you Scott!

Happy Holidays, Scott

Welcome back, Scott! So glad to hear that you're on the mend. I'll be more than happy to order a Diablo 4" and do my part to get BSD back on it's feet this spring!

Ditto,

As a prolific builder, will do my park to keep you in business.

Chuck

Where are you guys getting this kit from 3" or 4" ...I cant seem to find it...The webpage works but nothing onit links to anything:confused2:

The 4" Thor w/G10 fins I am finishing was bought in July 2008 before BSD went under (for the time being). It was originally meant to be my L2 rocket, and first DD. But, after someone pointed out that my 38 Special would take a whole lot less work to get DD capable, it sat unfinished for awhile. I always meant to return to it, but other projects and then a military move last summer got in the way...

I wanted a Thor that could take any 54mm motor I could throw at it, especially the L690/L730 from Pro54 (AT, if you develop a 54mm L motor, I'll fly it too). The G10 fins got airfoiled by GLR (incredibly nice job, by the way), the BTs got a CF/FG sleeve under a FG sanding veil one, ES6209 Aeropoxy throughout, the e-bay will carry two altimeters (MAWD & RRC2), and a nice Aeropack retainer on the back with my name and TRA #! First flight should be in February on an AT J460T.

An empty ebay, so not ready for flight YET
755433423_cm6XJ-L.jpg

GLR fin shaping...dang nice
755433505_MNj9w-L.jpg

A little bit of the BT and fins
755433442_xyTQj-L.jpg

The different color splotches on the BT were from trying different fillers. The orange is the Aeropoxy Light Filler that I'd not ever used before. Great stuff, but it's expensive to cover that entire BT area, so I used it there a real filler was needed due to BT laminating imperfections/inconsistencies. Everywhere else I went with my old stand-by, wood filler, mainly to fill the pinholes.

Last edited:

Happy Holidays, Scott
That's great news Scott - I think it's pretty obvious that everyone loves the Thor - and I for one can't wait to be able to buy a kit - although all the scratching of the design has inspired me as well - may have to give that a shot.

Keep us updated.

BTW - to the previous poster, where did you get those fins and who is GLR - that's not one I'm familiar with?!

Excellent stuff!

Paul

GAH!!!! I should have figured that out - I have an order arriving from them tomorrow....

Well in any case - get well soon Scott! We're all pullin' for you!

How is everyone making all of these. I can see how you're doing the airframes, looking at the rocksim file is easy. But HOW are people doing these paint jobs or are they making custom decals, if so, WHERE are they getting the pattern. I really want one of these rockets. I ordered all the parts yesterday and rocketcityrockets.com supposedly sells bsd rockets but they've yet to reply. I should've ordered the rocket first, now i have no airframe and might have to make one. If anyone knows how to do that paint job on your own, please advise. BTW-our next club rocket launch is in one month so what ever I do I have to do soon. P.S.-Scott good to see you getting better. We all need you and your fabulous rockets!!:clap:

How is everyone making all of these. I can see how you're doing the airframes, looking at the rocksim file is easy. But HOW are people doing these paint jobs or are they making custom decals, if so, WHERE are they getting the pattern. I really want one of these rockets. I ordered all the parts yesterday and rocketcityrockets.com supposedly sells bsd rockets but they've yet to reply. I should've ordered the rocket first, now i have no airframe and might have to make one. If anyone knows how to do that paint job on your own, please advise. BTW-our next club rocket launch is in one month so what ever I do I have to do soon. P.S.-Scott good to see you getting better. We all need you and your fabulous rockets!!:clap:

I completely scratch built mine and used the fin patterns off of rocksim to make the fins and had a friend cut the decals out of vinyl for me. Unfortunately it came in with no parachute this last weekend and now has to be rebuilt. At least the fin can mostly survived. If you scratch build one let us know how it goes. My build thread for mine is on RP if you wanna check it out. It was my Level 2 build.

You have some very nicely finished Thor rockets.

My 7.5" Level 3 Thor "BIG Thor" flying without decals at GHS 2004. It will fly again on 10/24/09 for my L3 re-certification (I let my memberships lapse).:eek:

Naked? WHY? LOL

Back