Composites in MMX (blackhawk 6)?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapDaddy

Reaction score
I have never flown a micromaxx before (I can't find them in my area), but they just seem incredibly neat to me.

I was just looking at the altitude record for MMX, which roughly comes out to 269 feet, which is really impressive.

Therefore, I was wondering, whether the record setting model was made out of .58 oz fiberglass or something silly like that, and whether or not composites would even be viable. The idea of trying to make a 6mm nosecone out of a 2 piece fiberglass mold amuses me greatly. I know that usually there is an optimal weight that you want when going for altitude when going for coast, but considering these motors only have .5 avg NS thrust, I am not sure where that optimal weigh is.

In short, I will likely never do this, as trying to find a tiny MMX after it goes 300 feet scares me. But I do think a "Blackhawk 6" would just be absolutely hilarious.

Also, how could altitude be measured? I'd imagine an altimeter would weigh more than the model itself.

Also, how could altitude be measured? I'd imagine an altimeter would weigh more than the model itself.

Scrap:
I thought we had discussed this subject a couple years ago. perhaps I'm confusing you with another member?

Sorry but I don't know what a "Blackhawk 6" would be.... (PHOTO Please; I'm sure one could be whipped up in short order.)

Anyway; To date my best 1/8A Altitude flight was tracked and closed within 6% at 304feet back in 2000. It was flown on a MMX-1 motor .163Ns with an Average delay of 1.07s. Recovery with a 8" mylar chute and yes it did in fact use a Micro Pop Lug.
These flights were Tracked by 2 Station Theodolites. BUT! there are now at least two Tiny Super light weight Altimeters that fit easily in T4 (.448") About 10.5mm bodies. So electronic altimeter tracking is possible.

The National NAR Contest 1/8A records are all pretty much measured this way with 2 station Theodolites tracking visual scopes. There are specific rules that must be met to record and close track on a flight using this method. These rules are listed in the Model Rocket Sporting Code (Pink Book).

Concerning Composite construction: Remember this: Nearly Anything that can be done with Standard Model Rockets Can and ARE being done with Micro models. The only exception so far is Egg-Loft as we have not found a suitable (small and fragile enough) replacement for the Chicken Egg...we have tried other things like Paint balls, Quail Eggs and others;)

To answer one of your questions directly; Yes .5oz cloth has been tried rolling single wrap fiberglass body tubes. Turns out the epoxy/glass saves nearly 0 grams compared to rolled Tracing vellum or other materials. To be honest my early 300ft flight was in a standard minimum Diameter T2+ (.281") .013 wall craft Body tube. with a turned foam NC and .005" waverglass fins. (see Pic Below.
I am currently in the process of Vacuum forming T2+ & T3 two Piece .010" and .020" Styrene super light weight nosecones and shoulders in several lengths. Still working on the temp/draw settings but it looks very promising.

Our MMX-II motors while more powerful then the MMX-I, having .284Ns with a delay average of only .854s. This is why you'll see the Nar National records for 1/8A alt & 2xcluster alt are Identical at 269ft. This is a product of the short delay more then limited design. I've also been playing around with 2 and 3 second timers to extend the coast time on Our micros but the added mass of the electronics so far (mainly the Battery or Capacitor) also creates the need for larger body diameter models which increased the Frontal area Drag further adding to reduced expected Altitudes. I'm sure as we get smaller SuperCaps and/or Micro electronics we'll get to a point that a rolled Tracing vellum or .5oz glass body model in T3 (.375") diameter MAY break that 300ft barrier;)

Edit: I neglected to mention most places will not have Micro Maxx motors or materials available locally. But we have a couple Very Good on-Line Suppliers including www.questaerospace.com and www.fliskits.com that have Everything one would need to build and fly Micros with very reasonable Shipping fees.
Come over too the Lighter size of Rocketry.. Micro's Too the MAX LOL!

MM 216a1b_PD on pad_10-30-99.jpg

MM 216a4-sm_a-g Taper&Doubletaper PD's_8-30-04.jpg

Last edited:
Back