LOC Magnum 3E Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Morgan

Reaction score
I scored the New Kit that was on Ebay! Got it for a Nice Price too!
It should be here next week.
Couldn't stand it, I had to start a thread, seeing how I've done some work for it already.

If it's like the LOC IV kit it needs another Centering Ring.
So last night I roughed one out of 1/4" 5 ply plywood from Hobbylinc.
LOC Magnum 3E extra centering ring.jpgLOC Magnum 3E.gif

I would like to build it mostly "stock", as much as possible, so I can adapt the motor mount to
use 54mm motors.
Doing a search here, there doesn't seem to be many LOC Magnum build threads.

Any advice, comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

JP

Last edited:
Subscribed!! :pop:

Great kit!! I built one recently, modded a little with a 54mm MMT as I don't have any 75mm hardware. I also decked it out with a "Hello Pirate Kitty" theme.

Can't wait to see progress on this one.

Jeff_M_Launching.jpg

Subscribed!! :pop:

Great kit!! I built one recently, modded a little with a 54mm MMT as I don't have any 75mm hardware. I also decked it out with a "Hello Pirate Kitty" theme.

Can't wait to see progress on this one.
I took Notes on your build! It's a nice looking rocket and you did a Great job building it as well.
I suppose I need to buy a motor retainer pretty soon, either Slim Line or Aeropack, like this one below?https://www.cdimodelrocketry.com/proddetail.php?prod=APRA75L It looks like the L is for LOC tubing.
I've got a Slim Line on the LOC IV. I don't much like the Snap Ring Method.
The Aero Pack retainer link above shows the end having a threaded cap. That makes it easier than a Snap Ring!

JP

Last edited:
I took Notes on your build! It's a nice looking rocket and you did a Great job building it as well.
I suppose I need to buy a motor retainer pretty soon, either Slim Line or Aeropac.

JP

JP

I would recommend a standard Aeropack, as it isn't a minimum diameter rocket.

Glad you liked the build, it was a lot of fun to build. Yes, its waaaay overbuilt, but it should last a lot of flights and I'll be pushing it to higher altitudes soon now that I've started playing around in the "L" impulse range. The motors may put me in the poor house, but I'll cherish the memories.... ;-)

So I ordered the Aero Pack 75mm motor retainer the other day. I'll wait for that before I do much in the way of
building.
Here's a shot of the tubes and the nose. This thing is a Beast! Heavy tubing and nose cone. I like the shock cord
material and the parachutes will do just fine.
Magnum 3E tubes and nose.jpg

JP

I suppose I need to buy a motor retainer pretty soon, either Slim Line or Aeropack, like this one below?https://www.cdimodelrocketry.com/proddetail.php?prod=APRA75L It looks like the L is for LOC tubing.
I've got a Slim Line on the LOC IV. I don't much like the Snap Ring Method.
The Aero Pack retainer link above shows the end having a threaded cap. That makes it easier than a Snap Ring!

JP

I didn't like the snap ring retainers very well either but Giant Leap now offers threaded Slimline retainers in 29 - 98MM. Threaded Slimline Retainers
Plus they offer some very nice 98 TO 75MM and 75 - 54MM threaded adapters.

I didn't like the snap ring retainers very well either but Giant Leap now offers threaded Slimline retainers in 29 - 98MM. Threaded Slimline Retainers
Plus they offer some very nice 98 TO 75MM and 75 - 54MM threaded adapters.
Hey Bill.
I saw those at Giant Leap.
I weighed the differences between the two adapters and went with Aero Pack, not really sure why, I guess I wanted to spread the Wealth among Manufactures!

Right now I'm working out a Tail Cone for the Magnum. It will be 2.25" length, about like my LOC IV. It's been a struggle trying to get the transition to fit on paper to print. It should fit on 2 pieces of paper but all I can get it to print out on is 4 pieces of paper! Oh well. It will work out.
I'm still waiting on the Aero Pack retainer to arrive so I can get it JB Welded up!

Still undecided on Altimeters. Looking at Missile Works and Perfect Flight.
JP

Last edited:
Tail Cone paper transition.
Magnum 3E Tail Cone #3.jpg Magnum Tail Cone 2.jpg
5.4375" to 4.3375" at 2.25" in length.
Going to make one more at 2.5" in length to see if I like it any better.
Magunm tail Cone.jpg

JP

Last edited:
Got both the motor retainer and the shock cord today. Thanks for the well made Kevlar shock cord Teddy.
That was a nice trip to the mail box.
The 75mm motor retainer is a Beast!
Magnum Aero Pack retainer.jpgMag tail transition.jpgMag forming the transition.jpg
Mag transition gluing radius into.jpgMag tail cone comes together.jpg

JP

Last edited:
I spent my Altimeter money on D and E RMS motors last night!
Still haven't decided on which ones to buy but have a good idea. Probably the RRC 2+ or maybe RRC 3+.
Most of my pictures "name" has the description of what's going on.
Magnum Fins beveled.jpgMagnum glassine removed for Fins.jpgMMT ready for Fins.jpg
Magnum Fins Epoxied.jpgMagnum Epoxy small fillets during dry time.jpg
I'll give the fins 24 hours before I remove the foam core boards, Glassing the fins to the MMT afterwards.

JP

Some progress made on the fins and motor mount tube.
Got one layer off glass on the tail cone. I made the transition slightly smaller than the main tube diameter.
As one picture will show, the locking ring on the motor retainer is going to be tight getting on and off!
Magnum tail cone and locking ring.jpgMag glassing tail cone.jpgMagnum tail cone 1st layer.jpg
Magnum glass cloth to MMT and fins.jpgMagnum MMT and 2 rings.jpg

JP

Dry fit in progress. I may cut a point on the tube to match the fins leading edge. This will place
the MMT just a bit lower, which shouldn't hurt anything.
I've been weighing all the parts and will draw up the rocket soon in Open Rocket "Free Software".

This will be my Level 2 bird, it could be a Level 3 but seeing as the "rules" somebody drew up it can't be.
I will never agree to some of the rules but who am I to say otherwise, I'm just another Member and nothing more
to those that drew up the "rules".!
I've often thought about my past experiences with Radio Control planes and choppers and how these two hobbies
clash in rules differences. Not to start a debate here, some get out of hand quickly and tend to be anal about it all.

Back to enjoying myself, the time I've been given and building rockets.
Magnum dry fit 1.jpgmagnum dry fit 2.jpg

JP

Lookin' Great!
Thank you TR!
Putting the second layer of glass on the tail Cone today. May put one layer
on the inside as well.
To me it wouldn't be a rocket without a Tail Cone. TLP kits has rubbed off on me.

JP

Mark drew up some decals for the Magnum. Opinions/comments?
Magnum 3 decals from Sticker Shock.jpg
I'm going to use the top centering ring for an attachment point instead of adding another ring above the MMT top
ring. Considering using Kevlar fastened to the top ring instead of the Eye Bolt. So, I've reinforced with glass cloth
and epoxy the bottom side of the top ring.
MMT top ring epoxy glass.jpg Short Magnum! Short Magnum.jpg

JP

Had to build a Sled, the kit didn't have one in it. Strange I know, the dude I got it from said it didn't
have one in the kit. No big deal.
Mag Sled 1.jpgMag Sled 2.jpg

JP

As far as I know, most kits don't actually come with a sled...

Nice build so far!
Thank you.
You would think a Sled would be part of the Electronics Bay, everything else is there... No big deal.

Got another layer of glass on the tail cone, that makes 3. Next I'll place 1 maybe 2 layers of glass cloth
on the inside, it will probably see some ground time, like once a year, maybe twice.
Dual Deployment example.jpgANYBODY care to give their preference???
In the above pic, wouldn't it be better to pop the upper stage with the nose cone attached instead of the nose cone? Less chance of a zipper in the upper tube that way?
JP

Last edited:
I tested the Tail Cone this morning. It has 3 layers outside and one layer inside of glass cloth.
Not sure of the weight on the cloth, I got it from HomeDepot. So I took a 9" round piece of 3/4"
Lite plywood, placed it on top of the Tail Cone in the floor and stood on top of it. I weigh 200 lbs.
Held up nicely.
Magnum glass tail cone.jpgMagnum Tail Cone almost finished.jpgMagnum Tail Cone and AeroPack 75mm.jpg
Haven't made up my mind yet on how I'm going to fasten the Kevlar to the top centering ring on the motor mount tube/fin can.

JP

I've built two LOC Magnums; my first was a champagne bottle and my second was our wedding guest book.
I've spent a few hours looking at your work. All of it is amazing! I've got to revisit your pages to learn more.
There is allot to learn going Electronics.
Thank you John, for the time you've put into making your site. Everybody needs to browse it often.

So what do you think about my Magnum? So far...

JP

It looks like you're taking your time and doing a good job. I was worried about the tail cone, but if you can stand on it, that's a pretty strong piece.
I didn't use as many layers on my LOC IV's tail cone, wish I did now but I'll use a bigger chute for it's first flight. I'll
try again to make it up to Memphis the 19th of this month to attempt Cert. Level 1.

Last night I ordered Epoxy, Glass Cloth, 3" and 6" Kevlar from US Composites. https://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html
Although the tail cone is strong, I'm going to lay up one layer of 5oz Kevlar to the inside of the tail cone, just
to be certain it can take a hit several times and have some heat resistance to it.

I'll glass the end sections of all the tubes with 8.7oz 6" cloth and epoxy, hopefully preventing any zippers.

Also placed an order with Missile Works for one RRC 3 (Sport) Altimeter and some small parts.
https://www.missileworks.com/store/#!/~/product/category=5760485&id=25239688
MISSILE WORKS logo.jpgRRC3 Altimeter Missile Works.jpg

JP

Last edited:
After looking all over town I finally found Forged Eye Bolts at Fastenal.
I got (3) 5/16" from them. Total out the door was $9.56.
Rated at 900 lbs, pulling.
5 16inch  Forged Eye Bolt.jpg

JP

Last edited:
I'm with you TR, the eye bolts look nice, Quality like you say too. Thanks for watching!
I suppose there's nothing wrong with the original parts in the kit but it certainly
is "cheap insurance" using these!

JP

Looking good.

TA
Thank you TA.

Painted the bulkheads for the Av Bay and also the eye bolts. Just had to paint something yesterday!
Secured Kevlar to the MMT for the lower shock cord.
Magnum Bulkheads n Glass.jpgMag Electronics Bay Bulkheads n Eye Bolts.jpg
Mag Kevlar SC on MMT.jpgMagnum Kevlar MMT.jpg

The Epoxy and Glass will be here tomorrow, then I'll cut back the glassine on the ends of the tubes
and glass those, probably just one layer.

Can't wait to get my mitts on the RRC3 Altimeter.
Ordered the E-Matches from Ebay. "If" they appear to be of good quality I'll consider using them for flights.

JP

UPS Truck made a delivery today.
I've got plenty of BP now! One can is 3F.
Goex 4F powder.jpg

JP

Back