Sharon's 4" Jimbo Jart

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4th of July was spent properly, taking time off from work (hard to do when your office is upstairs). Wayne and I smoked two whole chickens, 4 Black Rock fish, a bunch of potatoes and a batch of fresh side (bacon). After brining, smoking, cleaning, and (finally!) eating we were bushed.

But Today was Fin Can Day!

Went to payloadbay.com, measuring accordingly and printed a guide. Wayne put it on cardboard and cut it out for me (I did mention I have trouble with straight lines.....)

Sharon - Can you direct me to the actual tool you used to create your fin alignment jig? I tried all the fin related tools at payloadbay.com and did not come up with your "cool tool."

Thanks,
Chris

Sharon - Can you direct me to the actual tool you used to create your fin alignment jig? I tried all the fin related tools at payloadbay.com and did not come up with your "cool tool."

Thanks,
Chris

I went to www.payloadbay.com/page-Tools.html
The clicked on "fin Guide Tool"
Added the information for
Tube Diameter
Number of Fins
Fin Span
Fin Thickness
and click on submit
A .pdf file was produced. I copied it to my hard drive and labeled it for my rocket, then printed it out. Once printed used 3M adhesive spray to attach the paper to cardboard and then cut it out (well, actually Wayne did that part - sharp tools and Sharon don't mix well)

This site was created by Roger Smith and is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Great build by the way. Always love the detailed photos!

3 Fins.jpg

Must be user error as is usually the case ;-)
I only get 1/2 of the output unless i need to print multiple copies and overlay one another.

Entered:
54mm
3 Fins
.125 for thickness

Attachments

• 54mm 3F guide2.pdf
    2.9 KB · Views: 72
Great build by the way. Always love the detailed photos!

View attachment 177758

Must be user error as is usually the case ;-)
I only get 1/2 of the output unless i need to print multiple copies and overlay one another.

Entered:
54mm
3 Fins
.125 for thickness

Not sure what you did, when I ran it I got this:

View attachment testfinguide.pdf

When you print it out be sure you remove "fit to page". You want to print this at 100%

Hardline - Great.

I am not sure either how i could mess it up given there are only a handful of input fields....

Excellent job Sharon!!

So real quick can you post a picture of the Recon chute? I never seen one displayed and I wanted to get one. but on WM's site they don't have any pictures?

Thanks!!

Here is a 50 inch Recon Chute on my 4 inch Jarts Maiden flight.

IMG_7959.jpg

Well, here it is folks, ready to take to Airfest over Labor Day. It weighed in at 6.8 lbs without motor/casing:

045-1.jpg

Thanks for following this thread. I appreciate any and all questions or comments.

Thank you for sharing your build. Your links to tying knots was very useful. I flew my 4 inch Jart for the first time back in April at Bong. I flew it very similar to yours ( au- natural). I flew it on a J380SS. One of the coolest looking flights I have had as the Smokey motor just looked awesome. Flew to 3592 feet ( both altimeters were within less than 20 feet of one another)

IMG_7949 Compressed.jpg IMG_7955 Compressed.jpg

I then had the pleasure of drag racing CJ on a K454 Skid right after that flight. Sadly I botched up all pics of flight, unfortunately he had a failure on the pad although Tim the Wildman and another person participated. Was lots of fun and flew to a height of 5,998 feet. CJ gave me one of the highly desired pirate patches so I decided my rocket had earned its paint. Here are the results:

4 inch Jart full rocket-compress.jpg Close up of fins-compress.jpg close up of pirate 4 inch jart-compress.jpg

Hopefully we will be flying it again this weekend at LDRS on a K530SS.

Once again I enjoyed your build thread and sorry for hi-jacking it a bit - I will be surprised if you don't find this becoming one of your favorite flyers.

Well Sharon, it's getting close.....

I'm, think'n 4grain White Thunder or C* ...... that should put them up around 8-9000 ft. & make you a 'WildWoman" what say ye.
Ladies choice.:dark:

Of course you could opt for the MildWoman choice and go for 3 grain.:wink:

Any one else dare to play?

Well Sharon, it's getting close.....

I'm, think'n 4grain White Thunder or C* ...... that should put them up around 8-9000 ft. & make you a 'WildWoman" what say ye.
Ladies choice.:dark:

Of course you could opt for the MildWoman choice and go for 3 grain.:wink:

Any one else dare to play?

Sharon isn't Mild....

I like the 4 Grain White Thunder. Lots of "umph"!

Hope we can get more people to play with us (so to speak......)

:grin:

I like the 4 Grain White Thunder. Lots of "umph"!

Hope we can get more people to play with us (so to speak......)

K940 :y:

Out of curiosity has anyone ever managed to shred a Jart? Just kidding; I know... no motor made that fits can do that to a properly built Jimbo Jart.

Wish I could play too, sounds like fun, but too far. Will just have to wait for the launch report. Unless you want to do a virtual. I fly mine in SoCal and we synch the videos. Nah, not the same. Have fun!

Figured I would give you a couple of days to recoup but was curious how did your Jart fly and how many drag racers did you have? Hope CJ got you his trademark pirate vinyl.

It started out as a 3-way set for Sat. Sharon....Me [Jim] .....Tim. BUT.......as I was helping my fellow rocketeer, John Clifton with his 7.5 foot long, 6in diameter "O" motor project.

They got their panties in a wad and were in such a hurry, decided to go with out me. I was helping John out at the away.away, pickup pieces of his catoed motor and giant spool.

I rushed back to the flight line...grabbed my ready rocket and searched for the 2 of them. Then on my way up to the pads I hear the countdown and witnessed Sharon spank Tim soundly.

There are pictures somewhere ....there was a re-match with me....I will let the Wildwoman show pics & give results.:cool:

Yes, I did get anxious and run off without CJ.....But I'll start at the beginning:

I wanted to fly my Jimbo Jart on Friday and make sure everything was in order before I did the drag race. So I was putting together a K513 Black Jack and realized I didn't have a delay long enough for the motor. I like to have a motor deploy back up when possible and I was determined to have it so went to Wildman and after much looking around we found something that worked. Good thing I did since I had a "one in a thousand" ematch failure on my drogue charge and was saved by the motor deploy back up.

Prep:

IMG_0637.jpg

I haven't downloaded the data off the stratologger yet, but I was very pleased by the flight.

Next day after consultation with Wildman and CJ about the ematch I built the K490....I mean the K940 (really, really I was dyslexic) and CJ put on my sticker:

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

I was so proud my Jimbo Jart was stickered by Crazy Jim himself!:

IMG_3813.jpg

and then I waited. And waited.....around 1 pm I'm ready. I wanna fly. Due to miss-communication about timing and location of personnel Tim and I went off to the drag race without CJ :sad:

Here we are at the pads:

IMG_3841.jpg

and I spanked him!

SharonbeatingTim.jpg

Then I landed right at the pads.

IMG_3845.jpg

I was mostly happy....but CJ wasn't. He'd make me a special lighter, he'd stickered my rocket....and I left him :facepalm:

Well, there was only one thing to do and that was to go get another motor (I really loved being right next to the Wildman Trailer!) and I put together a K1100 and got it all ready and taped CJ's rocket and mine together - ready for another drag race:

IMG_3863.jpg

Last edited:
Then came the not-so-much-fun part: we landed in the Milo field. If there is one thing I've learned from Airfest it is to "go with the rows". Walking ALONG the row is a whole heck of a lot easier than going across them. :surprised:

Here is Wayne and CJ looking for our rockets:

060.jpg

You can see it is getting pretty breezy and this ended up being the last launch for us at Airfest. I really, REALLY didn't want to have another hiking session through the crops!

My entire rocket is in the picture. Can you see me now?

063.jpg

CJ is in the background retrieving his rocket.

065.jpg

Once I download the stratologger I'll post up motors/altitudes. I went to Airfest with 5 rockets and I only flew the Jimbo Jart. Right now it is my most favorite rocket to launch! It is just right for me and a whole lot of fun. Next time Wildman puts the 4" "Jimbo" Jart on sale you'll want to get it. If you've been on the fence about getting one, go for it. It is pretty much (IMHO) the sweet spot between size/cost/fun factor.

Great pics and story, Sharon!
Drag racing your Jart with the original "Il Penguini" Jart and Wildman's Jart, as well as getting "stickered" brings it all full circle.

Awesome pics Sharon, you looked like you had a great time. I love the pic of Wayne and CJ on the hay bails with their receivers.

Just showed daughter the pix..and asked whos that ? She said wildman and some lady...then she said Crazy Jim and some lady . Guess those hours making her watch LDRS and then the Top 10 werent wasted.

Thanks for sharing the recovery pics..makes it like we are there too.

Kenny

My entire rocket is in the picture. Can you see me now?

Did you use GPS or regular transmitter and reciever? I can relate to that picture. It's like the field I fly at (Bong). It's not Milo but its weeds, or swamp grass. You can be right on top of the rocket and not even see it.

Right now it is my most favorite rocket to launch.

I agree. Since I finished mine, I have flown it at every launch. Congrats on 3 successful flights and getting a chance to not only race but beat Tim ( I'm 0-2). That was quite the close landing you had as well. Always nice to not walk so far.

Looked like CJ had one of his secret starters in your race with him. I'll be interested in hearing your stats when you download them from your altimeter.

Between your Husbands posts, yours and others it seems like I need to add Airfest to my 2015 launch activities.

Thanks for the report! 1-1 against that competition is pretty good. I'm guessing CJ didn't give you a 2nd starter after you jumped the gun on him. How did you do your tracker? I am planning to fly my JJ next week at XPRS on a K740 C-Star and am thinking a tracker would be a good idea, but haven't figured out how to install it.

CJ DID give me a 2nd starter. He just beat me (dang!)

The CSI Tracker location is variable depending on where the nomex pocket is. We make a nomex pocket to put our tubular nylon and tracker in around 12 to 18 inches below the avbay. We just electrically tape the tracker to the tubular nylon below the pocket opening and then tuck the tracker into the pocket.

Here is a picture of Wayne's Dark Star Extreme Drogue shock cord and pocket:

033-1.jpg

In this instance, the tracker would be electrically taped to the left of the pocket on the red shock cord; however would be up higher (sorry don't have a example picture). And or course, first you electric tape your battery INSIDE the tracker, then electric tape the lid of the tracker box to the box, then tape the whole thing to the tubular nylon below the pocket. We use ALOT of tape! But we always get them back.......

Last edited:
Did you use GPS or regular transmitter and reciever? I can relate to that picture. It's like the field I fly at (Bong). It's not Milo but its weeds, or swamp grass. You can be right on top of the rocket and not even see it.

I agree. Since I finished mine, I have flown it at every launch. Congrats on 3 successful flights and getting a chance to not only race but beat Tim ( I'm 0-2). That was quite the close landing you had as well. Always nice to not walk so far.

Looked like CJ had one of his secret starters in your race with him. I'll be interested in hearing your stats when you download them from your altimeter.

Between your Husbands posts, yours and others it seems like I need to add Airfest to my 2015 launch activities.

At least Milo grows in rows....and I used a CSI Tracker Beacon but no GPS on this rocket (I am modifying my 3" DarkStar to add an Eggfinder to the nose cone after Wayne's success at Airfest with the Eggfinder/Rocket Locator system)

Still haven't had time to download the stratologger, hope to do it tonight.

Finally downloaded all three flights off the stratologger and here are the results:

AT K513 Black Max to 6768'
CTI K940 White Lightning to 7828'
AT K1100 Blue Thunder to 7081'

Finally downloaded all three flights off the stratologger and here are the results:

AT K513 Black Max to 6768'
CTI K940 White Lightning to 7828'
AT K1100 Blue Thunder to 7081'

You are well on your way to 10k !

Kenny

Back