Estes 220 Swift

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I got this Kit today. I papered the Fins with Gorilla Brand CA. It is thick like Wood Glue and dries slowly, so you can Paint it onto each Fin with a Q-tip, then simply press and hold each Fin onto your Cardstock and hold for 10-15 Seconds. I let them cure for a little bit, then just used scissors to cut them out of the Cardstock Sheet, and did the same thing on the other side. Much easier than Papering with Wood Glue and cutting out the Skins first.
I used the Double Glue Method on the Fin to BT Join. I'll go back later and do the Launch Lug and Fillets of TB Trim and Molding.

I have the Stand clamped to my Porch Railing so that the Model can dry in the Sun and Breeze.

Looking good so far. Trouble with these little rockets, they end up being a one and done unless you launch at a large field or use the lowest power engine you have.

I agree, don't bother spending a lot of time on the finish if your going to launch it. It will disappear after the smoke disappears. Poof... Gone!

I went ahead and sealed the Edges of each Fin with Super Thin CA.
I'll get a couple of layers of Titebond Trim and Molding Glue Fillets on there throughout the Evening.

Looking good so far. Trouble with these little rockets, they end up being a one and done unless you launch at a large field or use the lowest power engine you have.

I launched my Mosquito yesterday twice on 1/2A3-4T and found it each time. I have a Field down the Road that is mowed to about an Inch high.
It was very windy, so I decided to not push my luck, but I have confidence that where I launch these is perfect for recovering them. I have some 1/4A3 Motors on their way also. I don't think I'de dare stick an A10 in one though and actually hope to recover it.

I have a Scout II from like 1985 or so. I've probably launched it 40 or 50 times half on A8-3, half on B6-4. You don't know how many times I think I've lost it, but since it's just tumble recovery, it always comes down pretty close by.
I actually just made a new fin today for a Mosquito of mine. As it tumbled down last week it hit a chain link fence. Bye Bye balsa fin.

I don't think I'de dare stick an A10 in one though and actually hope to recover it.

I did just that on my mosquito I built in the late 70s or early 80s, I never even saw it leave the launch pad. And I knew it would have been a waste of time to even look for it. I have a Semroc Triton rocket that is also very small but uses 18 mm engines, I plan to launch it on a 13 mm motor with an adapter.

This my approach on the swift. I had the kit, but I wanted a bigger rocket. This one is a BT 60 version with an extended motor mount and transition.i This gave me room for a small chute or streamer. Flew great, and I got it back.

Lil Cricket 1.jpg

I don't really like the Decals that come with this Kit so I'll be doing my own thing for the Paint Scheme. I've already printed a really cool Checkerboard Cardstock Wrap for a Section of the Body right below where the Nose Cone meets up.

When I was a Kid I used to have quite a few 13mm rockets in my Fleet. It's nice to be enjoying the 13mm stuff again.:)

How did you get that "textured look" to cover the entire rocket so evenly?

By painting it with a Paint Brush and Testors Paint. I don't have any White Spray Paint or even Primer, so I went with what I had on hand. When I spray it with Clear Coat, it will probably crack and wrinkle, which will add a cool effect, but that will smooth out some of the Texture.:wink:

I painted my Mosquito like this and it worked out nicely. The Clear Coat Spray seems to melt and homogenize the Brush On Paint.

Last edited:
By painting it with a Paint Brush and Testors Paint. I don't have any White Spray Paint or even Primer, so I went with what I had on hand. When I spray it with Clear Coat, it will probably crack and wrinkle, which will add a cool effect, but that will smooth out some of the Texture.:wink:

I think this kind of finish is more suited to the Swift then a finish that is slicker then snot on a door knob.

Next up is a little bit of Vinyl, but I"m gonna' let the Paint cure overnight.
I got some Pin Stripe Vinyl from JP Morgan, and it's great for making Bands. I'll put a red one right below the Checkerboard once the whole thing is dry.:)

The Paint was dry enough.:)

Just needs one more Clear Coat, but it's dark out now so that will have to wait.
Hopefully the 1/4A3 Motors I ordered show up tomorrow. :)

Just got my 1/4A3-3T Motors in the Mail so it looks like we'll try to launch her today.:)

Last edited:
Almost lost her today!!!
We flew it on a 1/4A3, and even though we were able to track it visually til' Motor Ejection, it was nowhere to be found in the Field.
Went ahead and flew the Gnome 3 times, then did another search Grid for the 220 before packing up.
Finally, back in the Parking lot, ready to go when I give a once over glance around, and spot it not 20 feet behing my Truck!
How it got there is a mystery, as there was no Wind, and my Truck was about 100yds. from where we launched. Must have been the Ejection Charge powered it horizontally over there.
Slightly damaged Nose Cone from landing on the Dirt.

I looked all over the outfield for that motor. Where did you find it?

It was a Foul to Left Field. In line with the Fence, about 30 Yards from the end of the Fence. I used it as a reference Point while I was looking for the Swift, and forgot about picking it up, but I'll grab it tomorrow and toss it in the Trash for ya'.
I actually recovered my spent Motor from my 220 Swift, as it came down and almost hit me. Must have been the force of the Ejection that shot the Swift all the way to the Parking Lot.

Back