New CTI "Mellow" Propellant

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAviator

Reaction score
Seems CTI has done it again! A quick look through the motor offering on pro38.com reveals several motors in 29, 38, and one in 54mm. All of them are extremely long burning. I'm really looking forward to getting my L2 on a 644J94; 6.8s of burn! Anyways, just a heads up.

[video=youtube;5cB4Y9mzYMU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cB4Y9mzYMU[/video]

:eyepop:

Seems CTI has done it again! A quick look through the motor offering on pro38.com reveals several motors in 29, 38, and one in 54mm. All of them are extremely long burning. I'm really looking forward to getting my L2 on a 644J94; 6.8s of burn! Anyways, just a heads up.

I'm not sure how good it is as an L2 certification motor. It's not going to lift much more than a lightweight minimum diameter rocket (at least without a 12-foot rail), and it'll go really high on that. Unless that's what you want.

I'm not sure how good it is as an L2 certification motor. It's not going to lift much more than a lightweight minimum diameter rocket (at least without a 12-foot rail), and it'll go really high on that. Unless that's what you want.

Think old school...LOC Caliber ISP, EZI-65, or even an IROC. Work in an RRC2+ and you're good to go.

Think old school...LOC Caliber ISP, EZI-65, or even an IROC. Work in an RRC2+ and you're good to go.

Exactly my thought. After the I65W came back, this is yet another reason for me to build an EZI.

I've seen exactly one launched and it was sufficiently different to get my attention. It's a great motor without the neck-snapping g-forces and a good burn to put 'em up high. It's on the list for sure now! 3gr I-55 or 5gr J-94 would be the second motor for the glass Mariah 38 (after the test flight) for either ROC40 or Vegas.

Last edited:
Exactly my thought. After the I65W came back, this is yet another reason for me to build an EZI.

Agreed. Not to mention the LOC Hi-Tech H45 (that I certified way back in the day) now that the H45W is back as well.

Who said anything about 3/4FNC? I rarely fly anything that large and I'll take every opportunity to have fun with it.

I'm liking the look of this propellant. A few G33s might be fun for the saucer and boost glider guys.

These new long burn motors gives me a reason to rebuild "Reduke", my LOC Nuke Pro Max. Had a blow out with a 38/480 casing and an AT I59:
IMG_9978.jpg

Photo credit goes to "Skippy" (Gerald Meux)

These new long burn motors gives me a reason to rebuild "Reduke", my LOC Nuke Pro Max. Had a blow out with a 38/480 casing and an AT I59:
IMG_9978.jpg

Wow, what a picture!

IMG_9978.jpg

Blue Oyster Cult :

And I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you
I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you

Time is the essence
Time is the season
Time ain't no reason
Got no time to slow

Time everlasting
Time to play B-sides
Time ain't on my side
Time I'll never know

Burn out the day
Burn out the night
I'm not the one to tell you what's wrong or what's right

Kenny

I saw a demo flight in a saucer and fell in love. I am pumped about these new motors.

Animal Motor Works has them in stock, Very appropriate icon used for them on their website! However I doubt CTI will adopt it for the labels on the outer tube!

Animal Motor Works has them in stock, Very appropriate icon used for them on their website! However I doubt CTI will adopt it for the labels on the outer tube!

I assume CPB wouldn't look too highly on them coming across the boarder like that. Maybe they could ship the labels separately for the dealers (hehe, dealers) to apply them

I keep coming back and looking at this propellant. I think an L265 is in my future. 9.9 seconds of fun!

While I was at URRF I picked up the 29mm 143G33-9A reload for my MPR Aerotech Arreaux and launched it on the Saturday.

My rocket is pretty heavy for an Arreuax, 1.7 lbs (I like to overbuild), and I was surprised of how high she went. Unfortunately my Jolly Logic altimeter turned itself off before the launch so I don't know the real alt but I believe the RockSim had it somewhere around 1700 and I would say it got that and more. I launched it in roughly 10Mp/h winds and was expecting more weather cocking than it got but it left the 48" 1/4" launch rod pretty straight and just kept going...never did see it deploy or land it just ended up on my prep table a couple hours later thanks to someone in my group.

I don't have any launch pics, possibly one will turn up but overall I was impressed...just love those long burns.

My only concern with the propellant is the velocity for stability or potential for weather cocking on departure from the rail. Without sounding like Captain obvious, it has to be the right rocket and the right conditions.

I picked up one today (29mm G). Does anyone have motor files? I want to plug them into ORK and sim a couple of rockets before I fly.

I picked up one today (29mm G). Does anyone have motor files? I want to plug them into ORK and sim a couple of rockets before I fly.

Thrustcurve.org has a rocksim file for the G33. Here's the curve:

g33.JPG

The explanation on how to add the motor to Open Rocket is here about halfway down the page.

Last edited:
Is there a Hazmat fee on that G33 motor? It's 79 grams of propellant and it is a 3 grain motor. Thanks.

Picked up two of the 29mm ones from Giant Leap at NARAM today. If it's not too windy tomorrow, I'm going to have to fly my upscale Nova Payloader on one.

Back