Customized MDRM - The Mega Der Duke Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I picked up a MDRM from the Fry's sale for $29.99, which mean there was budget room for some custom stickershock vinyl. I'm not really fond of the decal set for the MDRM anyway, but it is a big rocket and as such a good canvas. I also wanted to have a composite cluster capable rocket, so this one is made with 29 mm, 2 x 24 mm. Additionally this rocket carries a nose cone altimeter bay that has 6 vent holes around the nose cone base. I did this for practice mostly, but I have a good deal of work in this rocket and the decal design, so it isn't flying without altimeter control and motor backup...lawn dart insurance (just cursed myself).

I chose to make the decal set along the MDRM theme, but do it up based on my alma mater. Therefore, I give you the mega "Der Duke Max". Many of you are now rooting for a lawn dart, but here we are.

A few things to note:
- The rocket is not basketball themed, we're actually a school too
- The devil on the fins is a logo from the 50s.
- The kills decal features the ACC teams (2015 edition, welcome Louisville; and Don't let the door hit you in the ass, Maryland) and a few teams from other conferences that are either traditional basketball powers whose programs I largely respect (UConn, Arizona, Kansas) and two teams I absolutely can't stand (Kentucky and Maryland).
- The decals are printed on white vinyl. Many of the details are just too small for cut vinyl.
- This is not my best paint job, but I can live with it.
- Ended up fully loaded with everything but motor at 3 lb 3.5 oz. Not going to make it under the weight limit, so it will have to fly at the high power launch next weekend instead of this weekend...overbuilding strikes again.

And the pics:

mddm-1.jpg mddm-2.jpg mddm-3.jpg mddm-4.jpg mddm-5.jpg

The business end, with 24mm plugs:

mddm-aft1.jpg mddm-aft2.jpg

Last edited:
01-07, grad school. I could have done my undergrad, but it wouldn't have been nearly as interesting as few have heard of Frostburg State University. Also, our storied traditions of buildings sinking into unmapped abandoned coal tunnels, the sulfur smell when the wind off the strip mine is just right, and of course academic rigor (pause for laughter) would not have made for interesting subject matter.

Last edited:
Ah a member of the powder blue empire. Despite that disadvantage you seam like a good fellow...excellent recovery,sir.

What's doing retention on those plugs?

Washers on the studs shown, themselves held down by wing nuts, serve as the retainer for the center and flanking tubes. I tested this out with the plugs and using AT 24/40 case when I built the MM assembly.

Thanks, Sam. I suspect the rear end, and it workings/not workings, will ultimately spell the downfall of this rocket, but it will certainly be fun while it lasts.

Washers on the studs shown, themselves held down by wing nuts, serve as the retainer for the center and flanking tubes. I tested this out with the plugs and using AT 24/40 case when I built the MM assembly.
I was wondering if that was the case, thought that differing heights might be an issue. S'clever!

Didn't get as good a video as I had hoped on the first flight, but overall successful. Launched on an AT H128W, and the altimeter worked perfectly for main at apogee. Weather cocked like crazy into a 12-15 mph wind. Also, I think the heat was getting to my RRC3s...both were beeping really weird, but functioned properly. It was 102 and this one was housed in a dark blue nose cone. Both started up and sounded normal that night, but I haven't downloaded the data yet. Came down on a 45" parachute, but still hit pretty hard. Left with a cosmetic crack along 1/3 of one fillet, shouldn't be a structural issue at all.

Screen grab...I love white motors.

derdukemax.jpg

Still, that's a great picture. Boy we had alot of fantastic flights, yours being one of them. I don't remember that guy coming down too fast but I think the Max fins take a beating in every scale.

By beeping weirdly, do you mean kinda scratchy and warbling? Mine always does that. I look at it as a feature, as I can easily identify the RRC3 vs the Adept22.

Still, that's a great picture. Boy we had alot of fantastic flights, yours being one of them. I don't remember that guy coming down too fast but I think the Max fins take a beating in every scale.

It didn't come down very fast, but like you said just inherent to the design. I'm not worried about it, I think the three motor clustering will be it's downfall before regular wear and tear sets in...just a hunch. It was a great launch, lots of nice flights on some really sweet rockets. Unfortunately, I screwed up and didn't drink enough early which let the heat get ahead of me, and it's hard to catch up when its 100+. Hence my early retreat.

By beeping weirdly, do you mean kinda scratchy and warbling? Mine always does that. I look at it as a feature, as I can easily identify the RRC3 vs the Adept22.

The one in the Der Duke Max NC (dark blue nose) was just a scratchy warble like you describe, and the one in the Cherokee-I (white altimeter bay) was more like beeps with scratchy sounds attached. They both normally beep nice clean tones, and did so that evening, so I assume it is heat related. In any event the events were perfect, so I'm not concerned.

The MDRM was a cool flight, I was up close to watch that one.
I saw the big Cherokee sitting around, but didn't see it go up. Did you fly it?

Duh! - Just found the thread for the Cherokee.
Cool flight as well. Sorry I missed that one.

Duh! - Just found the thread for the Cherokee.
Cool flight as well. Sorry I missed that one.

The MDRM was a cool flight, I was up close to watch that one.
I saw the big Cherokee sitting around, but didn't see it go up. Did you fly it?

Thanks, but the serious weather cocking from the MDDukeM directly at the pond had me concerned (visions of drowned electronics and a lost motor case in my head, not to mention the rocket), but the big chute gave plenty of time to float back to our side. I have the altimeter sled almost all the way to the nose tip, I think I will bring it down to the bulkhead for the next flight. It ends up being a nice piece of adjustable nose weight.

Back