Rocketry in South Carolina

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for waivered launches but as I understand current law, you cannot fly H or above(some G's), without high power certification. If I am wrong, someone please clear this up for me.

Well Jim, I'd be glad to hold off until then. but I don't remember seeing anything about hpr certification for the faa waiver. Check your messages

FAA has NOTHING to do with HPR certification!!!!!!!!!!! They really don't care until you get above "O". I saw the PM

The waiver if filed with the FAA. My wife does it for both clubs.

FAA has NOTHING to do with HPR certification!!!!!!!!!!! They really don't care until you get above "O". I saw the PM
Yeah, o class is getting into military grade propulsion. But with larger motors, so should be larger safety boundarieslarger for room for error

Welcome to TRF. You are correct in that the FAA has nothing to do with certification. However NFPA 1127 does and that is the "Law" folks are referring to. Tripoli and NAR both follow NFPA 1127 closely with their safety codes. NAR does not allow research (self mixed) motors. Tripoli does make provisions for research motors once you reach a level 2 certification.

1127 addresses all of the safety requirements you have listed as far as distances and they do indeed increase as motor inpulse increases and research motor distances are increased for research motors for the same inpulse levels as commercial mortors. 1127 also specifies qualified operators. (certification for High Power).

Rocketry really is pretty much self regulated in the US by TRA and NAR but you still have to follow NFPA 1127 to be legal. If you are flying high power and particularly research motors I suggest you purchase a copy for all of our benefits.

Back