LOC V-2 fins canted and CG/CP location.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just putting my fins on my loc 7.5" V-2, I got the first two fins installed and aligned at the rear figuring the slots would align the front, however once I got them set, I noticed the slots are cut at a slight angle. It appears all of them are cut at an offset, so I'm wondering if the fins are canted by design to impart spin on the latest version? I don't remember my 1995 model having this.....or did they just cut them wrong.....

Frank

Last edited:
Second Question, the kit did not come with a max rearward CG location, I've looked and found a rocksim file which shows the kit CP right in front of the fins, but when I import that into openrocket it shows the CP at about the middle of the body tube which I know can't be right...I've flown many V-2's with CG about in the center of the body tube....It seems very conservative, I even drew in the components myself to be sure they were entered right and dimensions etc....I did not build it tail heavy and used the kit supplied nose weight plus 2 ounces more so I'm sure a CG about at the middle of the rocket is about right. Just curious why openrocket seems conservative....when I load a loc ogive cone by itself it shows the cp about 1/3 back from the tip which also seems conservative....wonder what is going on.

Frank

Last edited:
Not sure about canted slots. Mine does not have these, but it's about 10 years old. My dad's recent v2 did not have canted slots. Ask LOC?
Go with RocSim on CP location. I think the whole fins on transition thing screws with OR for accuracy. I've tried to "trick" OR with the fins and it always shows CP way forward.

Mark

Had a perfectly straight flight in some wind this weekend on a J-575 FJ motor to 1740' at NXRS, with a nice recovery. It did have about a 1-2 roll per second roll on the way up.

Frank

V__EE1A.jpg

Very nice flight with a great looking rocket. Who's the vendor with the kits in the back ground of one of the pictures?

Did you ever figure out if the Fins are supposed to be canted from LOC?

Loc says they did not do it intentionally, but it was symmetric so gives a nice roll on boost and flies fine.

Back