Eggfinder LCD - Handheld Display Receiver for Eggfinder GPS Tracker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We at Eggtimer Rocketry are proud to announce the Eggfinder LCD, a handheld LCD display receiver for use with the Eggfinder GPS tracking system.

o 16x2 LCD display, displays:
- Latitude/Longitude in your choice of Degrees, Degrees:Minutes, or Degrees:Minutes:Seconds
- # of satellites in view
- Bar graph of the HDOP (horizontal dilution of precision, e.g. the quality of the fix)
- Elapsed time since last good fix (handy if you lose the signal)
- GPS altitude in Feet or Meters (handy for telling if you've landed when you can't see the rocket)
o Beeps when you have a fix, so you don't need to keep looking at the display to see if it's in range
o Frequency is easily programmable, so you can use it with any Eggfinder TX transmitter
o On-board mounting space and 4-pin connector for an HC-06 Bluetooth module (not included)
o Can be used with included 1/4 wave wire antenna or optional RP-SMA connector for external antenna
o Backlight can be enabled with optional switch, handy for those night launches
o Includes a case, 4xAA battery box with switch, and all mounting hardware

It makes using the Eggfinder with your smart phone easy, you simply plug the coordinates into your navigation app (i.e. MotionX on the iPhone) and have it navigate to that point. You can carry it with you as you approach your rocket, in case the wind took it away from the last point you got on the ground; this allows you to pinpoint the location more accurately than the Eggfinder RX "dongle" receiver with a laptop. You can also add an HC-06 Bluetooth module so you can use a real-time mapping app if you have an Android or Windows tablet/phone.

We're just finishing up the documentation, it will be up on the web site (www.EggtimerRocketry.com) in a day or so. We're in the process of kitting it up, we anticipate the we'll be ready to ship by next week. The kit price is $55, or $120 for the Eggfinder LCD Starter Set (Eggfinder TX transmitter + Eggfinder LCD receiver). As a bonus, existing Eggfinder owners (as of today, June 18th) will get a $5 discount plus a free RP-SMA connector if you order before July 1st, or $10 off and two free RP-SMA connectors if you buy an Eggfinder LCD Starter Set before July 1st.

Thank you for your continuing support!

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

I am a current owner, can you clarify what I need to buy to upgrade?

Chuck

You only need the Eggfinder LCD receiver... it's a complete receiver, it's an alternative to the Eggfinder RX "dongle". You already have a transmitter, but if you were thinking about getting another transmitter anyway you'll save $10 and get a couple of free RP-SMA's by purchasing an Eggfinder LCD Starter Set.

I'll post some pictures later today, right now it looks like my ISP has the web site down... REALLY bad timing.

I am a current owner, can you clarify what I need to buy to upgrade?

Chuck

I assume that the if you loose communication with the transmitter (like landing behind a hill) the LCD continues to display the last coordinates received, correct?

I assume that the if you loose communication with the transmitter (like landing behind a hill) the LCD continues to display the last coordinates received, correct?

That is correct. Then, when you get close, the RX picks up the signal and gives you exact coordinates to your rocket.

Thanks for the clarification, Wayco. This is really a great addition. The only barrier to me getting an EggFinder was needing to lug my laptop to the field...I just didn't want one more thing to keep track of. At $120 this is amazingly cheap rocket/case/altimeter/parachute insurance...especially when the grass is high.

Got all the parts, did a build test with the production PCB, I'm taking orders now. I'll invoice the people that sent requests to me earlier.

Nifty! Keep me posted on when this can be ordered. :)

-Kevin

Got all the parts, did a build test with the production PCB, I'm taking orders now. I'll invoice the people that sent requests to me earlier.

Add me to that list, please. I just need the receiver portion.

-Kevin

Here's a few pictures of the LCD receiver, from ROCStock and a picture of the bare unit out of the case. The long shot is to give you an idea of how far away it landed... about 1KM from the flight line, and it kept lock all the way down until immediately before it landed.

Yes, the location on the bare board shot is a Starbucks... a great place to work on software. No wife and kids to break my concentration... :)

EF LCD 006.jpg

EF LCD 003.jpg

EF LCD 004.jpg

EF LCD 005.jpg

We at Eggtimer Rocketry are proud to announce the Eggfinder LCD ... $10 off and two free RP-SMA connectors if you buy an Eggfinder LCD Starter Set before July 1st.

Thank you for your continuing support!

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

(Mick Jagger Voice) Start me up !

One eggEspecial to go ! and a side of RP-SMA connectors !

Kenny

All,

I am in the process of writing a Windows based application that will interface with both the Eggfinder and Eggtimer.

The EggFinder will provide the following functions.

1. horizontal speed over the ground ( will help in understanding how far away it might be if you loose GPS connections)
2. Vertical Speed (current and max)
4. Current or last received GPS location
5. Altitude (current and apex)
6. Current distance from launch or starting point to last received GPS signal and direction ( 2453 feet at 340 degrees)
7. I would like to have some type of voice read out from the data points... I can watch my rocket being launched and not the numbers on the screen
8. a raw data/GPS output to a file ... ( does anything think that this would be useful)

The Eggtimer will have an interface to program it from.

A question to the community, what other feathers/functions would you like to see, is this something that you would like to have.
If there is enough interest, I'll give it away under GPL (Free )...

Great new Cris, I've been waiting for the release and can't wait to get one. Pm sent for order.

Thanks,

John

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

All,

I am in the process of writing a Windows based application that will interface with both the Eggfinder and Eggtimer.

The EggFinder will provide the following functions.

1. horizontal speed over the ground ( will help in understanding how far away it might be if you loose GPS connections)
2. Vertical Speed (current and max)
4. Current or last received GPS location
5. Altitude (current and apex)
6. Current distance from launch or starting point to last received GPS signal and direction ( 2453 feet at 340 degrees)
7. I would like to have some type of voice read out from the data points... I can watch my rocket being launched and not the numbers on the screen
8. a raw data/GPS output to a file ... ( does anything think that this would be useful)

The Eggtimer will have an interface to program it from.

A question to the community, what other feathers/functions would you like to see, is this something that you would like to have.
If there is enough interest, I'll give it away under GPL (Free )...

Not a feature in your scope, per se, but:

Cross platform. Linux, in particular.

Not a feature in your scope, per se, but:

Cross platform. Linux, in particular.
Seconded. Linux and Android would be wonderful for me in the field.

Are there plans to sell a known-good bluetooth transmitter for pairing Eggfinder rx with a phone?

By the way, I would gladly contribute some time to porting to Linux if that is the limiting factor (assuming you aren't using any Windows-only libraries).

I am mainly a windows guy.... and only program for a hobby and fun when I have a project such as this. I talked to Chris this AM and have been asked to port the code over into Android... there will be a bit of a learning curve for me trying to understand the syntax ..however I understand the logic and what needs to be done... I will just need to find the code to open the com port... pull data... parse the input buffer... extract the wanted values... etc.... once I understand how its done, I'm off to the races.

I was thinking... if I can pull the GPS values from the android... I can make a go-to handheld device. ( HUMMM ) Dexter s Lab is open for business.

Regards,

Jeff

anything that you would like to do would be great.

I am mainly a windows guy.... and only program for a hobby and fun when I have a project such as this. I talked to Chris this AM and have been asked to port the code over into Android... there will be a bit of a learning curve for me trying to understand the syntax ..however I understand the logic and what needs to be done... I will just need to find the code to open the com port... pull data... parse the input buffer... extract the wanted values... etc.... once I understand how its done, I'm off to the races.

You're going to find that Android development is entirely different from anything you're accustomed to.

What language are you writing the code in?

-Kevin

And there's the cross-platform (Linux, Mac OS, Windows) approach that Altus Metrum has taken - using Java. Their interface application does call out various flight states in a synthesized voice.

And there's the cross-platform (Linux, Mac OS, Windows) approach that Altus Metrum has taken - using Java. Their interface application does call out various flight states in a synthesized voice.

That's great, if you're a Java developer or interested in learning it.

However, if someone is offering to do this for free, I suspect he's going to use the tools that he's comfortable with, and interested in using.

The best answer to getting it developed using the tools you want to see it developed in is to offer to help with the development effort.

-Kevin

I was thinking... if I can pull the GPS values from the android... I can make a go-to handheld device. ( HUMMM ) Dexter s Lab is open for business.

Regards,

Jeff

anything that you would like to do would be great.

Jeff,

You will find that android is quite weird. I have become very disguisted with the application framework and keep hoping that the Big G will add some real programmer benifits in the next releases instead of just "better integration with G* money grabbing". (BTW - I've been wishing that since Gingerbread :)

Anyway, If you do want to undertake this, I suggest you start by playing with the RocketTrack application I hacked together for Derek's tracker system. You can pull the code from github https://github.com/kruland2607/RocketTrack to get a start. There is a lot I would like to do to the application - including all you've named out - but I just don't have the time to complete it.

I did steal some code from AltOS droid for managing the bluetooth connection and some of the beginnings from RocketLocator (thank you open source).

Kevin

So I've finished the app with the basic functions tonight.. I need to get some flight on it... and see how it performs. I was thinknig about taking i for a drive and see what it does. The application works well, however, I need to build in some error handling... ( loosing GPS signal causes to hang until its reconnected ). Now that the basics are in play... I also plan on providing some GPS vectoring info... thats the tomorrow project.

I am writing this app in visual basic... its easy... and something I know... if anyone wants to help out... I'd welcome the effort.

I am happy to learn the Android platform... just the learning curve is going to take me a bit to get there...

Seconded. Linux and Android would be wonderful for me in the field.

Are there plans to sell a known-good bluetooth transmitter for pairing Eggfinder rx with a phone?

You can get one from Amazon.com here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MVIBV4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It was simple to add to the earlier version RX, and it looks like the new version has a 4 pin plug to plug it into. I will be adding the RS232 to the unit Cris gave me at ROCstock, and hopefully he will have the operating manual posted up on the webpage.

Last edited by a moderator:

You can get one from Amazon.com here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MVIBV4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It was simple to add to the earlier version RX, and it looks like the new version has a 4 pin plug to plug it into. I will be adding the RS232 to the unit Cris gave me at ROCstock, and hopefully he will have the operating manual posted up on the webpage.

Thanks Wayne..I need one of these also , the cable is a bonus .

The manufacturer, Banggood - is known to do well in high thrust applications . :headbang:

Kenny

Back