Eggfinder LCD - Handheld Display Receiver for Eggfinder GPS Tracker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Cris, are the eggfinder and eggtimer kits shipping international at the moment? cheers, chris

A question: would it be a terrible idea to solder a bluetooth module directly to the board?

A question: would it be a terrible idea to solder a bluetooth module directly to the board?

You need to be able to disconnect it to flash the processor with the data cable, since it uses a shared serial port. Once you flash it, you can leave the Bluetooth module connected until the next time you flash.

You need to be able to disconnect it to flash the processor with the data cable, since it uses a shared serial port. Once you flash it, you can leave the Bluetooth module connected until the next time you flash.
So probably a much better idea to use a pin header, then. Solid.

Cris, you might want to look at this

https://www.banggood.com/86-Plastic...-For-Capacitance-ESR-Inductance-p-956240.html

The link is for a capacitance meter, but I noticed the box is just about the right size for the egg finder in my estimation and they share the same screen I beleive. The case is available separately for $2.50. You would have to look at alternative battery and switch options but it may work out same cost of sleek case. If not then perhaps others here are interested.

I like the stock case as I can cram in a "big" battery very easily. Some of those "hand fit" meter cases are very attractive though that folks have posted here. Kurt

Here is a quick review of the awesome 3D printed LCD enclosure BLKKROW designed. I want to thank Kyle (BLKKROW) for printing the LCD enclosure for me. It is great design and everything fits in there very well.

3D enclosure

LCD goes in first and I glued the spacers on the LCD

Everything wired ready to go

The momentary and on/off switches fit between the LCD and the RX board, Bluetooth module goes behind the Rx

Lipo fits inside the handle

Handle gets bolted on, back cover is screwed on and it's done!

Size comparison next to the other two cases I have used.

^Are these for sale?

I just saw these posts! Wow, I really missed these.

I plan on selling a few at a time maybe 4-6 when my printer starts working again.

I have the middle case and all the accessories to make it work..but i like my free slammed case.

Kenny

I'm somewhat oddroc...I may try to find one of these and cannibalize. :grin:

images

Then if I lose a rocket in the heavy growth, I'll throw on my blue shirt and...

SpockTricorder1.jpg

Sensors indicate the spacecraft we are seeking is ahead...

I've got a possibly-oddball question:

I soldered the sma connector to the board, but due to some shipping issues I don't know if I can get an proper antenna before the next launch. What are the odds that a 2.4GHz wifi antenna on the receiver (plus stick on the transmitter) would be good to around 5,000ft? I know it's not right, but I'm wondering if you think it'd be "good enough" for limited range.
Thanks,

I soldered the sma connector to the board, but due to some shipping issues I don't know if I can get an proper antenna before the next launch. What are the odds that a 2.4GHz wifi antenna on the receiver (plus stick on the transmitter) would be good to around 5,000ft? I know it's not right, but I'm wondering if you think it'd be "good enough" for limited range.
Thanks,

I'd reco you email Eggtimer ([email protected])...responses for me have been fairly quick. Cris is a great guy...very responsive.

images

SpockTricorder1.jpg

Guess what folks...took a lot more work than anyone should spend on a plastic Eggfinder LCD case, but I did it! I first thought about using the full size Tricorder prop; however I decided it was too nice to cut up and also too $$. I found there was a smaller toy version that had lights and sound fx and seemed about the right size. However when trying to fit in electronics, millimeters matter and it was quite a LOT of work to make it fit. I'm almost done, but here is where it currently stands (working, but could use final touch ups):

Guess what folks...took a lot more work than anyone should spend on a plastic Eggfinder LCD case, but I did it! I first thought about using the full size Tricorder prop; however I decided it was too nice to cut up and also too $$. I found there was a smaller toy version that had lights and sound fx and seemed about the right size. However when trying to fit in electronics, millimeters matter and it was quite a LOT of work to make it fit. I'm almost done, but here is where it currently stands (working, but could use final touch ups):

That is cool!

Now we need to mount a remote switch in our communicator prop

Kenny

Thanks,

It depends on the antenna... (I know, easy way out...)

My gut feeling is that you'd probably be OK. You WILL lose range, of course, but if you only need 5,000' it will probably work. If you have at least a week before your launch, go on www.mouser.com and order an ANT-916-CW-HW... with UPS shipping it will cost about $20, but you should have it by the weekend.

images

SpockTricorder1.jpg

Man is that cool,,, lol...
What a great idea...

Teddy

Last edited:
It depends on the antenna... (I know, easy way out...)

My gut feeling is that you'd probably be OK. You WILL lose range, of course, but if you only need 5,000' it will probably work. If you have at least a week before your launch, go on www.mouser.com and order an ANT-916-CW-HW... with UPS shipping it will cost about $20, but you should have it by the weekend.
Thanks! Yeah, spending $20 for US shipping is the thing I wanted to avoid. I'll try my luck with ebay again, and if it doesn't get here in time that's probably okay :)

I recently found the suggested antennas a-la-carte on ebay for about $7 each delivered. I have both in hand and have verified that they're the real thing. I put them on my stuff and had my son walk all over the neighborhood, works fine with crazy range!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UHF-1-4-Wave-Antenna-ANT-916-CW-QW-28A003-/161817410897?hash=item25ad11bd51

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-1-Ante...6-CW-HW-SMA-/291568003698?hash=item43e2ceaa72

Of note is that both appear to be "SMA connectors", which is different from the ones Cris sells and recommends (RP-SMA...RP denoting Reverse Polarity). The first one has a description which notes "These antennas have the standard SMA-F connector" and strangely the picture shows an RP-SMA connection (the description link notes this product is available with both connectors, which may explain the pic not matching the description). The other antenna is SMA as well. I'm not sure it if matters, but if you bought the connectors Cris sells, SMA won't fit.

Trying to save some grief here for those reading this.

Last edited:
I bought a five pack of RP-SMA adapters on Amazon and one of the five was too small to fit on the board, so definitely look out for the quality of those things.

I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but: my Eggfinder LCD Rx is put together and the display is wonky. It only shows the first letter of the startup messages "W" instead of "Waiting for..". It displays some of the numbers that are supposed to pop up, then displays garbled nonsense or goes back to sitting at W forever. If I press and hold the button I see "- *" on both lines. Can't use it in this condition, any ideas?

I bought a five pack of RP-SMA adapters on Amazon and one of the five was too small to fit on the board, so definitely look out for the quality of those things.

I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but: my Eggfinder LCD Rx is put together and the display is wonky. It only shows the first letter of the startup messages "W" instead of "Waiting for..". It displays some of the numbers that are supposed to pop up, then displays garbled nonsense or goes back to sitting at W forever. If I press and hold the button I see "- *" on both lines. Can't use it in this condition, any ideas?

I'd first check all the solder connections for the board and connectors on both sides...you may have one that isn't complete (always check all solder connections anyway...less time than trouble shooting later). Then if that looks fine, I'd email Eggtimer Support. :)

Check this thread with some similar symptoms for a good starting point. Chris is pretty good at being able to help just by studying pics of your board.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...building-an-EggFinder&highlight=eggfinder+lcd

Back