the free fliskits printable micro?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatdaddynerd

Reaction score
So i was looking at the fliskit micro rocket that has a free printable download and i must say i am very intrigued. i have always thought about getting into the small stuff and i really think i am going to do that free kit. So i was hoping to get a few pointers from the micro masters i have seen in this section of the forum. particularly what type of paper would be best suited for printing these rockets? And any other helpful hints

Each Fliskits free downloads suggests the paper or card stock to use for the build in addition to the balsa, when required. Jim also recommends getting a little experience with the little rockets before tackling the saucer downloads.

I've seen all of these fly at one or another CMASS launches and they are fun, crowd-pleasing models that you'll easily get back to fly over and over again.

Enjoy.

I think you are looking at the MMX saucers.
These were MMX downscales of a 13mm combo kit that FlisKits produced called the Triple Threat, now OOP.

I built two of the Triple Threat models on my blog:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.mx/search/label/Triple Threat

FlisKits Saucers C 006_WEB.jpg FlisKits Saucers B 006_WEB.jpg

Many of the methods can be used on the smaller models.
I've made all three of the Flis MMX saucers, but I didn't do a build blog of them.

Art Applewhite did a review of the MMX versions at Rocket Reviews:
https://www.rocketreviews.com/fliskits-triple-threat-mmx--by-art-applewhite.html

While the instructions say to print on adhesive backed paper, you could print the fin covers on 24 lb. paper and use a glue stick.
I think I did the bodies on 110 lb. card stock.
The antennas (landing legs) are do-able, but hard to bend in the MMX size.

They do fly, low and slow.

Last edited:
I used scrapbooking paper(its about thickness of posterboard, maybe a bit thinner. Save some empty 18mm engines(3-4 of em) for rolling the BT.

The Fliskits micros are a bit more involved and the small size can make it difficult for those with big fingers.

My suggestion would be to try some of the Art Applewhite micros.

https://www.artapplewhite.com/free.html

You really can't get much simpler than that.

here is what mine looked like, sadly though after it went well over 1000' on it's maiden launch, it was never seen again.(even with the 12' streamer i had on it)
Picture 4781.jpg

wait...what?free fliskits micro? cool, didnt even notice a micro version....sweet!

OH MAN! That Art Applewhite link is KILLER! thanks for all the tips! I am really excited about doing some micros and paper rockets! I have done some micro layouts for my model trains a while back that were just a ton of fun so these types of rockets i think will be right up my ally. Plus i get to build another little launchpad and launch controller :) look out credit card and fathers day gift certificates!!! you are about to get used!

And for the record I was talking about the little "UFO" micros not midnight express. That is a lpr not a micro and there is not a downloadable micro version as of yet. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Last edited:
Well you can easily downscale the Mid-night express for micro maxx motors. It is a very Nice High flyer. as are the Fliskit Saucers.

Art Applewhite's saucers are a bit easier to assemble and you really can't beat flying a Real Bic pen.

There is also another resource in the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group files section including a down scale "Tri-ny-FO" that is a real hoot weather made of printed 67lb cardstock or 1/64th lite-ply.

Edit: I was mistaken I have not uploaded this T4 downscale 1-Pg Plan to the MicroMaxRocket Yahoo Group files section I seem to recall sending it to Jim for him to put it up on his website. I've added the pdf version below, I printed mine on 67lb Light Cardstock. It's a really fun flying micro:)

MM 332a-sm_Micro Midnight Express on pad_05-26-07.jpg

MM 258a1-sm_Bic-pen OddRoc_06-15-02.jpg

MM 258a2-sm_to g1_7 Micro Bic Pens group pic_03-14-06.jpg

MM 259a1_3in FlagFlyingSaucer-Oddroc_06-22-02.jpg

MM 291p1-sm_Fuzzy Dice Qubit Udo's_art applewhite_03-20-04.jpg

MM 292p1-sm_Scimitar Qubit paper Ufo_03-20-04.jpg

MM 293p1-sm_Stealth Qubit Ufo_03-20-04.jpg

View attachment MM 332c_Micro Midnight Express (T4)_03-26-06.pdf

Last edited:
Wow I love the bic pens! I would love to do a mass launch of those things! Very creative stuff :)

Wow I love the bic pens! I would love to do a mass launch of those things! Very creative stuff :)

The 1-page Plan for the basic "Pic Pen" I believe is still on Art Applewhite's web page. If not I'm sure I have a copy hanging around somewhere.
I buy Bic Sticks by the Gross at Staples Very Cheap. Taking them apart are pretty easy. Sometime the rear Plastic plug has been glued in. for them simple cut off the outer layer and drill or file out the white barrel to fit the MMX-II motor.
Art's version (the original) does not include a recovery device. I've taken the mode a step further Adding a 3/16" section of spent motor casing Motor block with 50-70lb Kevlar shockline anchored to the to the block (in an OD filed notch) connected to the two piece Nose section.
The only part of the Bic Stick that is metal is the Ink Ball tip. a pair of plier make very quick work removing it and the Ink Tube. You will need to clean up a bit of Ink inside the nose pieces but it isn't that much trouble. Don't forget to cut off the clean end of the Ink Tube for use as Launch lugs. I use two pieces about 1/8" long. CA and a touch of epoxy keep them in place permanently. Replace the metal ink Top with the end of a toothpick Magic marker colored black or blue and the model is all but complete.
Art's ingenious Folded Computer paper printed Fins-can is a hoot to make and install on the body tube with just a little CA.
Be aware these little buggers are Really HIGH Fliers, you will loose sight of them at ignition. I strongly suggest adding a 1/2" x 9" Teflon Plumbers tape white streamer to help see the model on the way down. Talc Baby powder the heck out of both sides before the first fold/Rolling to ensure opening at ejection. Nice thing is the Teflon tape Streamer serves as it's own FP wadding:)
Let me know if the Plan isn't still available from Arts web site or in the files sections of the MicroMaxRockets Yahoo.group I seem to recall adding it to my Odd-Roc's folder there.

Back