CTI "White" vs. "White Thunder" propellant.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Is there a difference? They advertize White and White Thunder on their web site, but in the propellant description section they only describe White Thunder.

I've found that the "white" is more akin to aerotech white lightning, with plenty of smoke and a larger, yellowish flame, and the "white thunder" has much less smoke and a pale white flame.

I540 White Thunder
Untitled1.png

I125 White

Photo Jun 16, 3 47 21 PM.jpg

White Thunder is significantly faster, with a higher average thrust and shorter burn time. White is slower, with more smoke and flame. White Thunder has a higher specific impulse, but usually delivers about the same (or slightly less) total impulse in a given case, because it requires a larger throat and larger port to handle the high mass flows it generates.

L2375 White Thunder:

L805 White:

White is whiter and produces more smoke, burns slower, is denser, and has lower ISP.

To confuse things further, C-Star looks more like White but burns slightly slower than White Thunder, but has the density of White, but the ISP of White Thunder...

"the question is: how much more white can it get? and the answer is: none. none more white"

s6

I think it would be interesting to know what propellants CTI got from AMW.

Great info guys!, I too wondered what the diff was, know I know I'd prefer cti's white over white lightning

In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history, lived a strange race of people --- the Druids. No one knows who they were... or what they were doin'. But their legacy remains --- a propellant known as White Thunder.

In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history, lived a strange race of people --- the Druids. No one knows who they were... or what they were doin'. But their legacy remains --- a propellant known as White Thunder.

I feel like I'm trapped inside a large motor casing. :)

This pretentious ponderous collection of rocket propellants is enough to prompt the question, 'What day did the Lord create White Thunder, and couldn't he have rested on that day too?'

"You put a GREASED NAKED WOMAN on all fours with a dog collar around her neck, and a leash, and a man's arm extended out up to here, holding onto the leash, and pushing a White Thunder in her face to sniff it. You don't find that offensive? You don't find that sexist?"

"This is 1982, Bobbi, c'mon!"

"That's RIGHT, it's 1982! Get out of the '60s. We don't have this mentality anymore."

"Well, you should have seen the one they WANTED to do! It wasn't a rocket motor, believe me."

Last edited:
I want to steal that color scheme with maybe the addition of a thin black, gold or silver band at the color transitions. What shade & brand of paint is that in the mid-section? I haven't found a decent deep red/maroon shade that looks like that.

I want to steal that color scheme with maybe the addition of a thin black, gold or silver band at the color transitions. What shade & brand of paint is that in the mid-section? I haven't found a decent deep red/maroon shade that looks like that.
That's Claude (nh4clo4)'s Competitor 3. Paging Claude!

Latest posts

Back