How to remove drips/runs in paint?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeotherm

Reaction score
Sorry if this is an overly basic question. I just finished a (first) coat of paint on my Interrogator G, and there are a pair of spots where I applied too much paint (d'oh!). Is there a good way of getting these smoothed out? I was thinking some high grit sandpaper (I have some 600 on hand) would work, but wanted to hear other's suggestions as well before I go and screw up my work :p. Thanks!

600 is prob too fine, try 320grit then respray entire area....lightly

Sorry if this is an overly basic question. I just finished a (first) coat of paint on my Interrogator G, and there are a pair of spots where I applied too much paint (d'oh!). Is there a good way of getting these smoothed out? I was thinking some high grit sandpaper (I have some 600 on hand) would work, but wanted to hear other's suggestions as well before I go and screw up my work :p. Thanks!

I consider 320 grit to be on the high end of medium sand paper and would not use this grit on the finish/final coat of paint. It will leave scratches that another coat of paint will not cover up.

Fine sand paper is made for removing blemishes in a finish, like a run or a dust booger. Wet sanding with fine grit(s) will prevent the sand paper from clogging up as the paint is removed .

I consider 320 grit to be on the high end of medium sand paper and would not use this grit on the finish/final coat of paint. It will leave scratches that another coat of paint will not cover up.

Fine sand paper is made for removing blemishes in a finish, like a run or a dust booger. Wet sanding with fine grit(s) will prevent the sand paper from clogging up as the paint is removed .

What he said here... just make sure that the paint is COMPLETELY DRY first (sniff test).

OL JR :)

PS... the sniff test is, if you can still smell the paint its not fully cured (dry). Might take a few days...

If the paint is still pretty fresh (less than 24 hrs), I just take a hand towel or paper towel soaked in paint thinner, remove all paint and start over. Much faster than sanding in my opinion.

David

Zeo, You need to be careful fixing this kind of problem. You can go from bad to worse really quick. Let the paint sit a couple days---next--moist sand it with 400 grit wet/dry. Just knock the top off the runs---DO NOT SAND SMOOTH---Let the paint breath a couple more days--alright -alright- give it a week. Go back and block sand it out with 400 grit wet/ dry. re prime the area and sand again. Make sure there are no little out gas pinholes. Once ready ----just repaint.

Ditto! precisely what Bradycros said.
It'll take a little time but working your run blips with progressively finer grit WET sandpapers in a circular motion will remove the problem without screwing up the paint job to much.
Use a sanding block or pad to maintain even pressure over the work area without applying too much pressure.... Let the grit do the work.
You might want to try 3m Scotchbrite Sanding pad #7448 Grey Ultrafine with a block and plenty of water as a starting point.

Last edited:
One trick I like to use when I have gotten a traditional run in paint is to put masking tape adjacent to the run streak/blob. That protects the nearby paint. Then I can use a coarser sandpaper to do an initial removal of much of the excess. Then work to finer grits, and eventually remove the tape and blend the edges.

Marc

Thanks for the advice everyone! It's not what I wanted to hear (I wanted to be able to be done and ready to fly this thing for it's maiden flight at a NARHAMS meet this weekend), but I'd rather do it right than do it fast :)

That rocket will still fly with runs in the paint job. Go fly it, then worry about the runs.

David

Back