The PainKiller 3 rocket thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so the painting is the part of the build that takes me the longest. Got the second coat of primer on today, tomorrow I'll sand the primer and start on the white paint.

BRB900, so far so good

14033526216_e9a8c2f483.jpg

I Meant to have the rocket painted and finished by now, but my father in law wound up in the ER for an infection in his legs which turned in to Sepsis. His heart rate was 150 bpm and blood presser was 91/38, luckily they caught it in time and is now doing better. The rocket is still in grey primer, today I'll sand the primer and put on a few coats of white to get it ready for the blue paint. :grin::bat:

...but my father in law wound up in the ER for an infection in his legs which turned in to Sepsis. His heart rate was 150 bpm and blood presser was 91/38, luckily they caught it in time and is now doing better.

Nothing to mess around with. My father died from such an infection.

Nothing to mess around with. My father died from such an infection.

In my teen years my friend died of the same infection, she was only 16, so it's been an emotional week for me. Sorry to hear about your dad. Definitely this is something not to mess around with.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1408288158.070976.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1408288172.523058.jpg
You still see the primer as I put on a light (tacky) coat, I'll wait about 10 min and put on another coat of paint
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1408288278.875121.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1408288293.416809.jpg
The upper section and nose cone are done with the first coats, I'll wait a few days then wet sand and add a few more coats of white paint

Very sorry to hear of your father being septic (I'm on the sepsis committee at work--we're pushing to do more for it prehospitally). Here's hoping he recovers quickly!

The build looks great so far!

Later!

--Coop

Very sorry to hear of your father being septic (I'm on the sepsis committee at work--we're pushing to do more for it prehospitally). Here's hoping he recovers quickly!

The build looks great so far!

Later!

--Coop

Thanks, it's been a roller coaster ride but he did pull through. Thank you everyone for your kind words and prayers.
I know it's been a while since my last post on this thread, I had lots of issues arise in the past month with family and work and I did not feel in the mood for anything rocket related.
As of now the rocket is in satin white paint, still need to wet sand and put on the blue colors and decals, I hope to have it done by next week end.

Glad to hear he pulled through ok, don't worry about us mere forum dwellers, family always comes first and never apologize for it.

That being said, glad to see that you're back at it. This rocket is firmly planted on my birthday wish list, along with its little brother, so I can't wait to see it painted and flying.

-Hans

Wow, it's been a long time since I last posted on this thread. Sorry to report that this rocket is still not finished. With all the things that's going on in my life at the moment I had no time energy or money to do any rocket building or painting.
I'm also sorry to report that my father in law is back in the hospital and has been for the past two weeks, this time it's not looking good. He had kidney failure which is doing better, low BP and high heart rate which is also doing better but he now has pneumonia and is very disoriented. That's it for now, I'll post more updates later.

As promised here are some updates.
My father in law passed away 6 days after my last post. We are still dealing with his passing, each day doesn't get any better but we are dealing with it in our own way. It's especially hard for me cause we worked together for the last 12 years, and going to work and not seeing him there still effects me, but like I said we are dealing with his passing in our own way.

image.jpgimage.jpg
I had a coat of white paint on the Painkiller but today decided to sand it all off and redo some of the fillet work, it was not up to par for my standerts, I was rushing threw the build and paint and did not do much body work on it. I am still undecided on paint colors, my daughter wants me to paint it pink and white.

It's funny how the shed, err the rocket work shop gets cluttered I'll have to clean out the rocket work shop so I can at least put on a coat of primer.

Very sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences.

Best,

--Coop

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430062812.388967.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430062827.706792.jpg
Finally after all the sanding and fillet work, I'm putting on the first coat of primer.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430062915.902871.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430062927.965452.jpg
The nose cone before and after the first coat of primer, decided not to paint the aluminum tip, put frog tape on so no paint will go on the tip, I would have removed the tip all together, but I epoxied it on.😡 oh well, lesson learned.

Since I cannot start another build, I took out my vertical Assault kit and played around with the motor mounts and the motor retention, the first two show MMT 54/38 adapter with motor case.
The next two show 54 MMT with motor case.
I can not wait to start the build on this kit.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430080501.513039.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430080515.631593.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430080529.028939.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430080547.559119.jpg

The nose cone before and after the first coat of primer, decided not to paint the aluminum tip, put frog tape on so no paint will go on the tip, I would have removed the tip all together, but I epoxied it on.�� oh well, lesson learned.

Tip: When you center the aluminum tip with epoxy put a coat of grease on the base of the tip and a little on the threads only that enter the tip itself.

Tip: When you center the aluminum tip with epoxy put a coat of grease on the base of the tip and a little on the threads only that enter the tip itself.

Thanks for the tip Gary. Will try it out on my AMW parrot kit which has a aluminum tip.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430601877.510401.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430601892.075395.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430601908.287506.jpg
Didn't get much done this week been busy with work, but today I got some sanding done and got a second coat of primer on, I'll have the first coat of paint on tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430678490.919943.jpg
The colors my daughter picked out for her rocket, pink and gold
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430678579.068932.jpg
Fins taped so no pink glitter gets on them
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430678619.173070.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430678630.686863.jpg
First several light coats
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430678687.762786.jpg
Nose cone all done
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430678716.372931.jpg
Need to get another can of pink glitter
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430678766.497097.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430678787.476006.jpg
Photos don't do it justice, need to finish the body tube and the fins will be done in gold.

Last edited:
The one thing I learned about useing glitter spray paint is this stuff gets everywhere, and to spray this stuff out side and not in the shed.

Since my car decided to break a push rod on my way to work today, I had time to put a few coats of pink glitter on the rocket and a few coats of glitter sealer clear coat, this Saturday I'll start on the fins with the gold glitter, I'll take some pics when I'm at that stage of the paint.
Thankfully we have an extra vehicle so I don't lose any more time from work and I won't have to pay big bucks to get my car fixed.

Back