1010 Rail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

race 58

Reaction score
Anybody know where I can get a 2 foot piece of 1010 rail?
I don't need anything longer, I have a 6 ft piece and I want to make it 8 Ft.
Can't seem to find smaller pieces.
Mods,,, if you think this should go in the Yard Sale section please move it.

Thanks
Ed

still cheaper then him going to Grainger in Huntley Il and buying a 6 foot piece $35 (?).

try ebay!

Tony

I got 2 x 6' sections of anodized 1010 from TECO. They ordered it from 80/20, Inc. for me. It was about $70 total including shipping.

If you still need a 2' piece of 1010 rail let me know, I have several odd-ball pieces of 1010 sitting around and you can have piece of it, if you want.

I also have some odd sizes on hand. I am 60446 zip. Maybe the shipping is cheaper than the purchase.

Last edited:
You ARE ordering from 8020 direct, thats their Ebay store.

I'm aware of that,,,,, and doing it thru their "Garage Sale" Ebay store IS cheaper than going thru them directly at their Ft Wayne facility....which was the reason I posted it.

I'm aware of that,,,,, and doing it thru their "Garage Sale" Ebay store IS cheaper than going thru them directly at their Ft Wayne facility....which was the reason I posted it.

I live right down the road from 80/20... I still ordered from McMaster due to price being cheaper for me.

Is the 1010 rail for small buttons? If so, does anyone know a source for buying the rail for large buttons?

Oh, and the series number is the size in mm of the slot. So 10 series, or 1010, has a 10mm slot (0.254 inches). You can measure the circumference of your buttons to see what is best.

Oh, and the series number is the size in mm of the slot. So 10 series, or 1010, has a 10mm slot (0.254 inches). You can measure the circumference of your buttons to see what is best.

I must corrrect this.
First, 10mm = 0.394inch
The 80/20 (fractional) series numbers refer to the basic 'side' dimension of the extrusion.
'10' series is 1 inch wide. '15' series is 1.5 inches wide.
This link shows the various fractional profiles.
https://www.8020.net/T-Slot-4.asp

Here are drawings of the 1010 extrusion and the 1515:

Hover-1010_Black-1.gif

Hover-1515-1.gif

That's not correct.

The aluminum extrusions we use for launch rails are part of an international industry standard aluminum extrusion framing system.

They are made in both American and metric sizes and the sizes have nothing to do with the slot width.

The common American standard sizes used in rocketry are 1010 = 1.0" x 1.0" extrusion widths and 1515 = 1.5" x 1.5" extrusion width. The 1.0" versions have a slot width that used 1/4"screws as fasteners and the 1.5" versions use 5/16" screws as fasteners.

There are many more metric sizes: 10 mm, 15 mm, 20 mm, 25 mm , 30 mm, etc. They are totally different than the American sized versions having metric widths. Some folks are advocating 10 mm and 15 mm rails for smaller rockets. You can use small American nylon screws for rail buttons with 10 mm and 15 mm metric rails, and there are several threads describing the sizes in the ground support section of TRF.

Unless you measure it exactly, the only way you can distinguish the metric 25 mm rail from the American 1010 rail is that a 1/4" screw will not fit in a 25 mm rail slot which is sized for 6 mm screws. Conversely 6 mm screws will fit fine on American 1010 rails. The clearance difference is only about 0.010"!

Not all manufacturers make all of the metric and American sized rails. 80/20 and other American vendor make 20 mm, 25 mm, and 30 mm rails.

Bosch makes a large number of metric rails and a small number of American sizes. Several Japanese companies make 10mm and 15 mm rails.

Bob

I live right down the road from 80/20... I still ordered from McMaster due to price being cheaper for me.

What i was trying to say was that I looked at many places and found various prices.

The reason I settled on the 80/20 company was that I wanted to make my Jawstand Launcher very portable so instead of large 6-8 foot pieces I went with 450mm (18") and 3' sections and tapped the center and now I can break it down easily for transport.

The Ebay "Garage Sale" site for 80/20 had those pieces cheaper than anywhere else I could find,, doesn't mean cheaper isn't out there just what I found and was reasonable for me. If I bought the same pieces directly from the company in Ft, Wayne it would have cost me more yet it still is shipped from them after ordering on Ebay.

To address the different rails...... I was building a combo launcher that I would be able to use the 1010 rail with rail buttons from rail-buttons.com and the new "mini" rail buttons they have for smaller rockets as well as have the capability to use different size launch rods with a keyless chuck. See here for the finished launcher. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...d-Portable-Combo-Launcher-with-Rails-amp-Rods

So I bought one 36" black anodized piece for the 1010 rail (I already had a 6' piece I got from granger last year and cut it in half) and 4 of the Metric 20mm x 20mm T-Slot Aluminum 20 Series 20-2020 x 450mm Black for the "Mini" rail.... Total "Shipped was $31.96 and I got it in 2 days.

Clear as mud now? :wink:

Last edited:
Forgive me for being incorrect. Been doing that a lot lately. :(

I'd delete the post, but then everyone would wonder what was being corrected. So, leave it up for reference, and I'll humbly accept scorn. :eek:

I would also recommend 80/20s store on eBay... They usually have some one-offs and overstock pieces that can be had for cheap... I got 2 - 4' sections and all the hardware to join them for about $70...

All 80/20 and other similar extrusions are clear anodized to prevent random oxidation of the aluminum. Any anodized aluminum coating is initially porous and is sealed by immersion in boiling water for 20 minutes or so. If the anodized part is dipped into a dye solution before or during the boiling step, the dye is sealed into the part and you get a colored anodized finish.

Bob

Thanks Guys,,, I was just asking so I could have all my pieces match. My wife tells me I don't match all the time.:eyeroll:

Ed

Anybody know where I can get a 2 foot piece of 1010 rail?
I don't need anything longer, I have a 6 ft piece and I want to make it 8 Ft.

Thanks
Ed

Hi, Ed. Not sure where you live (you may have mentioned in the thread but I missed it), but if you make it to any midwest launches (Thunderstruck in IN, Midwest Power in IL, TWA or WOOSH launches at Bong in WI), with some prior coordination I could pick you up a piece from McMaster Carr and deliver to a launch. Their warehouse is a short detour on my way to work. They have a "Will Call", IL sales tax much less than shipping, especially on oversize objects.

Also, I personally would recommend investing in an 8' section vs splicing together shorter pieces. In my limited experience, I have noted on a few occasions the joint doesn't always line up perfectly and can catch a button or bend its screw on its way by.

Hi, Ed. Not sure where you live (you may have mentioned in the thread but I missed it), but if you make it to any midwest launches (Thunderstruck in IN, Midwest Power in IL, TWA or WOOSH launches at Bong in WI), with some prior coordination I could pick you up a piece from McMaster Carr and deliver to a launch. Their warehouse is a short detour on my way to work. They have a "Will Call", IL sales tax much less than shipping, especially on oversize objects.

Also, I personally would recommend investing in an 8' section vs splicing together shorter pieces. In my limited experience, I have noted on a few occasions the joint doesn't always line up perfectly and can catch a button or bend its screw on its way by.

Sorry I haven't answered this earlier,, guess I just missed seeing it.

The shorter pieces will be better for me in transporting. I dis it with the "Mini" rail and yes the was a few points that would catch the button but a little filing fixed that.
I plan on getting 2 of the black anodized 36" pieces.
As far as picking it up for me I appreciate it but since it looks like we live close (I'm in Huntley) it's not necessary.. but thanks.

One other note... We also seem to belong to the same club. FVR is one of the clubs I belong to as well so we might actually know each other.. Small world.

Ed

One other note... We also seem to belong to the same club. FVR is one of the clubs I belong to as well so we might actually know each other.. Small world.

Ed

Indeed, it IS a small world. I am actually quite poor at connecting people's faces with their real names, let alone their online user names. Let's chat at a future launch. Sather

Back