Necessities of Life...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Hence I have named my newest project (other name I considered was Frankenstein).

Basically, this rocket originated from 2 things.

1. I ordered the box-o-parts from Rocketry Warehouse last Black Friday, and I realized that I still have not used all but 2 of the parts. I want to clean up my shop. This will help.

2. Mista Jimmy Scarpiny (our very own Jimzcatz)... Ahh... Umm... offered me a free 54mm motor to participate in a drag race at Freedom launch this labor day. I don't have a 54mm rocket. But who am I to pass up the offer...

So it begins. Basically, the strategy is to do a buttload of transitions (gets rid of a lot of tubes).

Basic jist of the rocket (for those who don't want to read this whole thing).

Rocket has many fiberglass tubes, transitions to each are simply glassed or kevlared or both'ed foam. Fins are same (glassed or kevlar'd foam). It has a 54mm motor mount. Altimeter deployment by both adept 22 and RRC3, and eggfinder because I want to find the blasted thing.

Long(er) version:

TUBES

The tubes I have (all about 12 inches long):
  • 7.5 inch
  • 6.5 inch
  • 5.5 inch
  • 3.5 inch
  • 3 inch

Alright, so I confess, the 3 inch tube wasn't in there. I am only using it because my biggest nose cone is only 3 inches. So I used the 3 inch tube to take advantage of that. Also, a 54mm motor mount (LOC/Precision tubing).

FINS

The fins will be cut out of foam, and then fiberglassed with 6oz cloth. A strip of kevlar will run down the middle for additional strength.
I am also considering cutting a frame of basswood or plywood, and then lining it with glassed foam.

CENTERING RINGS
These will be basically the same as the fins. They will be 'glassed foam, epoxied in place. Not much else. :p

ELECTRONICS
RRC3 and Adept 22 will control all deployment (I will have a buttload of backup charges... :p). It will most likely be a cable cutter controlling the main parachute. I will also have my eggfinder in there (mostly just to test it).

RECOVERY
Main parachute will have to be probably 10 ft or so. (I estimate final weight at 10-12 pounds, and want to bring this down pretty slowly). Anyone got one I can borrow for freedom launch?

I am working on an Openrocket File at the moment. I have some pics that I am uploading.

So, here is some popcorn:

:pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop:

Let' get started!!!

So, the collection of tubes...

IMG_0444.jpg

And the stack of tubes (ignore all foam, it is just there to demonstrate size).
IMG_0448.jpg

You can see the motor tube on the right side of the picture.

And a mock fin to demonstrate approximate size and shape of the fins:

IMG_0449.jpg

This is going to be interesting:):)

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Yep. It will be.

Turns out, gluing all these tubes will be a royal pain in the @ss.

:cry:

Started on the lowest 2 tonight. I also drilled holes for the 1515 rail buttons.

Lower hole drilled and barrel nut installed:
IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

Then I cut a piece of dowel for the standoff on the upper button:
IMG_0452.jpg

To get the hole in straight, I drill a hole in another piece of wood and use that to hold it straight:

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

I then rounded off the edge hitting the body tube:

IMG_0455.jpg

Then I epoxied it on:
IMG_0459.jpg

Test fit of centering ring:

IMG_0461.jpg

Epoxied in:
IMG_0460.jpg

Another pic:

IMG_0462.jpg

I had played around with something like this idea before settling on what will become Area Rule. Very interesting that you aren't doing transitions, though.

And yes, I will eventually start on Area Rule.

I actually am doing transitions (they will be cosmetic rather than structural). Basically it will be foam and epoxy slurry, which sands really easily. I will slop it in the gaps, and form it to shape (like a fillet).

Also, the @#$%^&* computer died last night right before I saved the OR file, so I have to recreate it.

Foxtrot niner niner, please standby... :p

Build will continue in a week or so. I need to pick up foam from lowes, but I am never by Lowes in a truck (the normal car I ride in won't fit a 4 x 8 sheet of foam), and all next week I will be up in the Appalachian Mountains doing Appalachian service project, a volunteer service project where I go up into the Appalachian mountains with my church and fix up houses. No Wi-Fi and new workshop means no posting about my build... :(

Last edited:
Build will continue in a week or so. I need to pick up foam from lowes, but I am never by Lowes in a truck (the normal car I ride in won't fit a 4 x 8 sheet of foam), and all next week I will be up in the Appalachian Mountains doing Appalachian service project, a volunteer service project where I go up into the Appalachian mountains with my church and fix up houses. No Wi-Fi and new workshop means no rocket building... :(

Why does rocket building require Wi-Fi?

As soon as I get more foam.

Maybe a little large... I can trim them down according to the sim...

Pretty neat concept. I have a bunch of grab box tubes to use up. Was thinking a 4" Tube fin since I got a bunch of 4" air frame that isn't long enough to use for much.

The 10' chute seems extreme. I'd be shocked if something that big fit inside. Speaking of which, where / how will it separate (what size tubes for recover storage? Seems like the largest tubes will have the motor mount in them.

Good luck!

According to the EMRR calculator, with an estimated weight of 12+ pounds, and aiming for a 15 FPS descent, I need about a 10 foot chute. I am planning on the chute coming out in the 5.5 inch tube.

According to the EMRR calculator, with an estimated weight of 12+ pounds, and aiming for a 15 FPS descent, I need about a 10 foot chute. I am planning on the chute coming out in the 5.5 inch tube.

I must drop mine a lot faster LOL. That 5.5 may work.

I get 105" for 15fps, which is a little under 9 ft.

chute_calc.jpg

I would prefer to bring it down a little slower because of the fins. I don't want to drop this like I normally do (normally my rockets are built where they can survive a 50fps fall, like my Darkstar Jr did at last freedom lauch).

Well, I got some progress. My dad ran by Lowes and picked up a sheet of insulating foam for $14. This will give me some stuff to play with... :p
photo 1 (23).jpg
I cut out some more rings as couplers, and then I cut the engine mount.
photo 2 (21).jpg

photo 3 (16).jpg

This will be fiberglassed and epoxied to the tube. More later!!!

And the stack so far...

photo 4 (11).jpg

Oh, definitely good. I can't figure out the CP either. Really weird.

Matt , I used to build alot of tetrahedrons . Your rocket is kinda similar shaped minus the fins . Your CP will be roughly 2 /3 rd 's from. The tiop . Since your using foam structualy you wont be able to use alot of nose weight . I would recomend alpha 3 style fins . Also desing them to break on landing , because they will . Or another idea would be to find a short 4 inch long section of say 12 inch diameter tube and use it as a ring fin and use your foam as pylons to center the tube .

Eric

Back