Painkiller 3 Build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update

Ordered parachutes, aeropack retainer, av bay stuff...
I decided it's time to buy a rotary tool my dremel broke a few years back so I bought a black and Decker RTX now fins will fit perfectly...

I use THIS push button switch, it mounts right through the Av-Bay sled. With countless flights I have never! had to replace one. Some may prefer the switch band and thats fine, this is just how I like to do it.

Gary,

Where are you mounting the switch? On the bulkplate? I've be using switch bands because they make it easy to mount switches and drill the altimeter ports. I've ordered one of the Painkiller kits and I think I need to visualize how you see the a-bay working without the switch band.

BillG

Bill, they go on the Av-Bay Sled. This is my 5" Av-Bay, I use a Quick Disconnect that attaches the bottom Av-Bay lid to the Av-Bay. I slide the upper section down the upper BT and connect the leads. Then I turn on the Altimeters by pushing the buttons with a rod through the hole.

VORLON 5 (20).jpg VORLON 5 (21).jpg

Last edited:
No in general like 22 guage or something else? I've got to run to home depot for threaded rods, nuts, washers, two eyebolts, and some of those 90° brackets for the sled.

Last edited:
Bill, they go on the Av-Bay Sled. This is my 5" Av-Bay, I use a Quick Disconnect that attaches the bottom Av-Bay lid to the Av-Bay. I slide the upper section down the upper BT and connect the leads. Then I turn on the Altimeters by pushing the buttons with a rod through the hole.

Thanks Gary. I actually was just looking at that Vorlon build. I like the a-bay layout. I hope you didn't patent it :)

So got my recovery harness in today from Onebadhawk... He'll definitely be getting my business a number of times more... I'm going to be uploading pictures (a lot) tomorrow...

So far big huge thanks to...

BlastCapRocketry (creator of kit)

Black Jack for taking his time to help (about three hours of phone time alone)
Onebadhawk for his badass harnesses and the special very tiny and welded eybolt
DogHouseRocketry for cheap rail buttons and Electronics bay stuff
My father for getting me into rocketry 15 years ago...

John, Thank you for purchasing the kit, glad you like it.

PK3-1_zpsdfebd88d.jpg

I put an eye bolt through all the ebay bulk plates drilled my holes for the rods and for some reason the holes go uneven so I had to sand the larger bulk plates down a little now they are almost perfect

So I haven't been updating the thread as I got really busy... I am now doing fin fillets with rocketpoxy... I'm looking for an altimeter now... RRC2 is what I'll get but shopping for a used or cheap one

So I haven't been updating the thread as I got really busy... I am now doing fin fillets with rocketpoxy... I'm looking for an altimeter now... RRC2 is what I'll get but shopping for a used or cheap one

$45.00 for a new RRC2+ is pretty darn good. I got two already and am thinking of getting two more. Cheap enough to just put it in the rocket and leave it. No programming either.

Adrian

$45.00 for a new RRC2+ is pretty darn good. I got two already and am thinking of getting two more. Cheap enough to just put it in the rocket and leave it. No programming either.

Adrian

What wire do you use for the terminal blocks?

I have 2 of the RRC2s now they work very well. Like Adrian said just keep them in a rocket and no need to move from one to the other.

Man this aeropack retainer is hard to put on I must keep sanding ghee mmt I guess!

Man this aeropack retainer is hard to put on I must keep sanding ghee mmt I guess!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404067474.195029.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404067488.920005.jpg
I know it's late but the Aeropack 54 mm motor retainer with the flange would have been a better option. It fits perfectly on the CR. I used a 6-32 tap and die for the bolt holes
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404067743.132061.jpg

Yeah I loved the it... Flew it on an I280 Metalstorm drogueless... The wind blew it upside down so when shock cord came out on first ejection it never was able to stabilize at 500ft main deployed but it was too late lost a fin cracked the epoxy fillets and the cone is ruined... It was an amazing flight just the wind and taking the going droguless advice today against my gut... Other than that I'll definitely buy another one!

Noooooooooooo! Sorry to hear that, got any flight photos or video?
How much BP did you use for the drouge and main separation? I still have to ground test mine and would like a starting point on the separation charge, thanks

1.5G... I do have a video but I'd have to email it to you or pm because my dad is filming and he seems to really enjoy watching HPR so he says Holy $#!+ hahaha.

Latest posts

Back