My Commercial Build... The Rocket Fizz (Stretched Leviathan)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Until I land the contract to handle the other stores, I will not divulge who I am making this for... However, I wanted to show what I did.

The rocket on the left is an unfinished Estes Leviathan, the one in the right is my prototype.

comercial build.jpg

comercial build suspension point.jpg comercial build suspension point II.jpg

As this is intended as an advertisement, I added suspension points (read: paperclips) to prevent damage to the paint.

Decals by Stickershock. Image has been edited to conceal the company it is being built for.

Last edited:
how did you get the job for this???????????

I'd love to build rockets and get payed for it:):):)

looks great.

Dog is a Schnoodle, his name is Murray.

Rocket is a stretched Leviathan with papered fins, a 15" stuffer tube (plus the 9" motor mount tube), a variation on the 1/2 moon baffle. No idea on weight yet. Internal and external fillets (this was the rocket that I figured out how to tack fins on with, and my new papering method). I'm using Rusto's paint for the finishing.

how did you get the job for this???????????

I'd love to build rockets and get payed for it:):):)

looks great.

Full story will be told later... After I land the contract.

Actually, it's a trade, I got a Leviathan out of the deal (and then two more because of UPS damaging parts). I'm now trying to land a contract to build 5 more just like this and get my Velociraptor out of it.

Last edited:
That's a Beauty!
Good job.
Nifty idea with the paper clips too!

JP

So you know when we get an update to wachyadoin?

I'm letting the company look over the rocket I built for 'em and hopefully independent operators will chime in and buy one from me.

It's really nice work! Did you do the stripes on the fins and rings around the BT with paint and masking tape? Or are they decals? They look really good and very straight. Nice external fillets too. I hope you get the work.

It's really nice work! Did you do the stripes on the fins and rings around the BT with paint and masking tape? Or are they decals? They look really good and very straight. Nice external fillets too. I hope you get the work.

Thanks Thirsty,

Stickershock did all the markings. I was able to match the red with Rusto's Sunrise Red (not a painters touch paint).

Fillets are BSI's 30 min Slow Cure Epoxy.

Ok... The mystery has been going on for too long (Actually, there's zero chance I can try to do the extended deal now). So, I'll let you all into it. I made this rocket:

attachment.php

For a company that's franchisees should be offered the chance to have one built for each of their own stores...

And that franchise is:

rocketfizznew.jpg

My sister, Rachel, spotted it in the downtown Portland Rocket Fizz store a few months ago (my own photos of the unveiling of it were lost with my cell phone).

Now you all have a chance to work your own deal with them.

Here's a few more photos for you... (Decals by Stickershock):

Rather than trying to have Mark alter the logo to keep both sides pointed forward (and upright when hung from the ceiling), I put one of the logo decals on pointing backwards. This way no matter what, it will be upright from either side. We hung it using a heavy duty (non-monofilament) fishing line that I colored black with a Sharpie (makes it nearly invisible in photos). It was hung from one of the wires hanging down from the ceiling, and protected from abrasion by using a split-ring from a keychain (I'd hate to think it would someday fall because the line wore out). To keep it from swinging around, it was also secured in the back.

The rocket was built fully ready to fly, save the parachute, which was the stock Leviathan 24" chute.

Now you all, get out there, and make Rocket Fizz an honest "Rocket" company. For those of you who want to know how did I land the gig? I walked into the store and asked "Where's your rocket? Oh? You don't have one? You need a rocket... and I know just the guy to build it for you..."

Oh, and the 2nd rocket (mine) got build up to the primer stage, then I got distracted (school, other builds, moving to China), and didn't finish it. It will be a clone of the first, except that I've built it with rail buttons instead of launch lugs. One of the other Leviathans (I had 7 in all) was sold off, and another became my Scion. I'm planning on building one into a Standard Missile, the rest... Hmmm...

Last edited:
Nice build. Looks a lot like my kitbash of two Ester Stormcasters. I built it with a 24mm mount, and launched it on a G55. It was a somewhat old-ish engine. It chuffed twice on the pad, lit off, then paused about 30 feet in the air. This allowed it to lay over, before the motor caught again - this time in full force. It left, going away from us. I lost it somewhere in a stand of trees, way off of our allowed flight property.

I like the design...I think I'll try to find the parts for another. 29mm this time.

PICT0002a.jpg

I had to google Rocket Fizz to see what it is (a Seattle-area soda and candy shop). Wonder if they have these:

drink1.jpg

This rocket makes certain list members stomp their little feet and pull their hair...

I had to google Rocket Fizz to see what it is (a Seattle-area soda and candy shop).

More like a national soda and candy shop franchise (based out of Camirillo California).

Wonder if they have these:

View attachment 279090

This rocket makes certain list members stomp their little feet and pull their hair...

Dunno, with with over 450 different offerings, they might. Now as to the rocket... Doubtful (but you can always try).

Last edited:
More like a national soda and candy shop franchise (based out of Camirillo California).

Dang! They're all over the place. I guess google got it a >little< wrong. Wonder if they have Pommac? I drank this as a kid, and never saw it again. I wonder, too, if the taste now matches my memory...

Weird,

Just saw this thread and looked them up. Found out there is a store right near where the GF lives!!??
So, I'll have to check it out this weekend... Maybe I'll see if they need a rocket :wink:

Adrian

Assuming this is a photo you took, I very much like your book collection, it mirrors a segment of my own!

Yes, I took it. For better or worse, I've got something over 2000 paperbacks in my collection (mostly sci-fi). Plus a bunch more hardbacks (mostly textbooks and research materiel).

I looked at the rocksim files for the Leviathan (the basis for K'Tesh's rocket), and compared them with the Stormcaster. The Leviathan is 2.6" dia,. while the Stormcaster is 1.6" dia. (BT80 vs. BT60). I did an OR sim of a "stretched" Stormcaster, with a G55 (like the one I flew) and again with a G80. They both reach about the same altitude (~3000 feet), but the G80 drives it to 0.97 mach. I wonder if cardboard and balsa would stand up to that?

I saw the Portland one tonight! I'm in town for CiderCon, walked past, and thought 'I know I've seen that rocket before.'

Ok... The mystery has been going on for too long (Actually, there's zero chance I can try to do the extended deal now). So, I'll let you all into it. I made this rocket:

attachment.php

For a company that's franchisees should be offered the chance to have one built for each of their own stores...

And that franchise is:

rocketfizznew.jpg

My sister, Rachel, spotted it in the downtown Portland Rocket Fizz store a few months ago (my own photos of the unveiling of it were lost with my cell phone).

Now you all have a chance to work your own deal with them.

Here's a few more photos for you... (Decals by Stickershock):

Rather than trying to have Mark alter the logo to keep both sides pointed forward (and upright when hung from the ceiling), I put one of the logo decals on pointing backwards. This way no matter what, it will be upright from either side. We hung it using a heavy duty (non-monofilament) fishing line that I colored black with a Sharpie (makes it nearly invisible in photos). It was hung from one of the wires hanging down from the ceiling, and protected from abrasion by using a split-ring from a keychain (I'd hate to think it would someday fall because the line wore out). To keep it from swinging around, it was also secured in the back.

The rocket was built fully ready to fly, save the parachute, which was the stock Leviathan 24" chute.

Now you all, get out there, and make Rocket Fizz an honest "Rocket" company. For those of you who want to know how did I land the gig? I walked into the store and asked "Where's your rocket? Oh? You don't have one? You need a rocket... and I know just the guy to build it for you..."

Oh, and the 2nd rocket (mine) got build up to the primer stage, then I got distracted (school, other builds, moving to China), and didn't finish it. It will be a clone of the first, except that I've built it with rail buttons instead of launch lugs. One of the other Leviathans (I had 7 in all) was sold off, and another became my Scion. I'm planning on building one into a Standard Missile, the rest... Hmmm...

I saw the Portland one tonight! I'm in town for CiderCon, walked past, and thought 'I know I've seen that rocket before.'

Thanks for letting me know it's still there. I'm sure it'll be there for years, but accidents can happen.

K'Tesh - that's an awesome looking rocket and a great approach to getting paid for what you love to do! Very smart!

Bracha and I watched an episode of "Undercover Boss" which featured "Rocket Fizz." For some reason, I remembered the name of the chain (and their logo). :)

-- Roger

Back