LiPo education?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopirV

Reaction score
Hi everyone- can someone point to a resource that would provide an education to a non-RC hobbyist on spec'ing and buying LiPo cells and chargers for powering rocket electronics? I've googled around, and have not had much luck- the hobby shop sites assume too much prior knowledge.
I want to power an eggtimer and dual deploy, and an eggfinder (separately). I know Cris recommends 2S cells, but that's greek to me! Have found some online, but they are all over the map in price, and the chargers aren't seemingly packaged together.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I would avoid the ultra cheap ones. lipos had (and the cheap ones still do) have a habit of going up in flames. There are places that sell flame proof bags to recharge lipos for that reason. The more established companys that make them have got the flambey issues taken care of. the 2 cell indicates the size which also indicate the power.. As say 2 D batteries produce twice the power of one 1S, 2S and 3S, can make the same voltage but the 2S and 3S makes more amps and run longer. When looking at chargers with more then one cell you will need a balancing charger (all types will need to be lipo chargers). As if the 2 or more cells charge at different rates that could cause more problems.I could go alot more in depth but in a nut shell this is what you need to look at.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN

Thanks guys, very helpful! I don't fly as often as I'd like, so the storage rules for LiPos is a bit intimidating. I would hate to lose a battery before flying it twice! Am I being too cautious or should I stick with alkaline batteries?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

If you are not going to need it very often I would go alkaline. When you figure the cost of battery and charger, disposable is in my opinion the way to go.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
Countyline Hobbies

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back