L3 Build - Spikey

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remaining aft fins going into place. It will be fillet time very soon.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1402284373.371703.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Screen shots of the 1.2GHz OSD(camera currently off), the 900MHz mission control station and iPad field app.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1402285793.505620.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1402285859.164130.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1402285908.277653.jpg

What did you decide to do on the fillets?

Jim

Presanded and cleaned interfaces. I will inject epoxy with a fiber filler through access holes. Obviously the external fillets are no problem. The internal portion of the fin is completely trapped by the motor tube, two bulkhead and the body tube, so I will be able to inject internal fillets on all four internal corners on each side of each fin.

Tee nuts and Tee counter sink washers machined. After a short chemical treatment it will be time fasten all of the body tubes and couplers together.

Canard servos assembled, tested and ready to install in the forward AV bay.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1402458138.998595.jpg

This thread has warped my fragile mind. :jaw:

You think you have problems? I have to TAP this thing. I think I've figured out the rail buttons, though. The electronics, not so much (but I do hope to learn a few things). This is a first-rate project and I'm glad Chris is taking the time to document it for us.

Jim

You think you have problems? I have to TAP this thing. I think I've figured out the rail buttons, though. The electronics, not so much (but I do hope to learn a few things). This is a first-rate project and I'm glad Chris is taking the time to document it for us.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I am having a great time building this project and can't wait to see it fly at Airfest.

Would you mind explaining your choice on fin design?

Very interesting thread! I'll be following of course. I love the retractable rail buttons.

Alex

Would you mind explaining your choice on fin design?

Very interesting thread! I'll be following of course. I love the retractable rail buttons.

Alex

The fin design was a result of a compromise between several characteristics. I wanted a rocket that was stable on it's own but could still take flight input from canards without to much trouble. The rocket is also very long, almost 13', has its recovery section in the center and payload up front which pushes the Cg forward and increases the longitudinal moment of inertia. So to maintain good static stability the Cp had to move forward. I couldn't move all of the fin surface forward to accommodate and most other options would greatly increase the fin area, so I split them. I then worked through several scenarios of mass distribution and staging until I arrived at the current fin surface distribution and placement. So, what I have now is a rocket design that can fly safely in several configurations:

Standard: Any 75mm composite motor up to 60" long.
Hybrid: Any Hybrid motor up to 60" long(designed for the contrail, 59" long)
Heavy lift: Add 4' section forward of AV bay with up to a 22lb payload.
Staging: Add up to two more stages with up to 115mm x ~48" long

The above are directly correlated to my goals.

Standard, get my L3
Hybrid, because they are cool and I must have one.
Heavy lift, lifting school projects for local schools.
Staging, a reason to go to Blackrock.

Retractable rail buttons.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Got it. Maybe so. Probably as a system, it needs the pneumatic support components to function. I have also been working on another design that pops off and doesn't require a strap completely around the rocket, we will see where that goes.

I have had some interest in the tee nut/washer pairs that I make, might sell some of those. They sure are handy.

Wow. Just, wow. Have you decided on a motor for the first flight?

Did I say wow?

Thank you to Pam at B2 Rocketry for a wonderful set of custom chutes and bags, very happy with the product.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1402626956.905804.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1402627417.259042.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1402627432.656566.jpg

Thank you to Pam at B2 Rocketry for a wonderful set of custom chutes and bags, very happy with the product.

I am thoroughly impressed with their freebag system. I've deployed my 60" Skyangle out of their smallest bag at least 10 times now with great success. Great product!

Of course, I will experience my first failure now...

Treated 6-32 counter sink Tee nuts and washers going into place on the body and coupler tubes.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1402976908.135381.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1402976928.643974.jpg

Back