L3 Build - Spikey

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, finally got it done. The flight went well and have received my L3.

However, I did have a bit of a vertical issue when prepping on the pad. I will be purchasing a ladder...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412531102.015589.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412531119.222986.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412531128.067725.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412531140.030228.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Congrats on your L3! If I'd seen this thread before the launch on Saturday I would've paid more attention to you when you were prepping for flight! It was a great launch though, I'm glad I stuck around long enough to see it fly! I was surprised by how quick the motor burn seemed. (I did my L3 in West Texas the previous weekend, so at least two new L3's from Texas this quarter!) Any chance you want to bring it to West Texas Thunder at the end of the month? I'm sure everyone there would love to see some of the gadgets you've created. Plus you can watch Liz (San Antonio Rocket Society) fly her full-sized coffin rocket! :) Friday will be a day and night launch. And, it's worth the drive if you want to fly high. 21,000' waiver IIRC.

-Andrew

Congrats on your L3! If I'd seen this thread before the launch on Saturday I would've paid more attention to you when you were prepping for flight! It was a great launch though, I'm glad I stuck around long enough to see it fly! I was surprised by how quick the motor burn seemed. (I did my L3 in West Texas the previous weekend, so at least two new L3's from Texas this quarter!) Any chance you want to bring it to West Texas Thunder at the end of the month? I'm sure everyone there would love to see some of the gadgets you've created. Plus you can watch Liz (San Antonio Rocket Society) fly her full-sized coffin rocket! :) Friday will be a day and night launch. And, it's worth the drive if you want to fly high. 21,000' waiver IIRC.

-Andrew

Probably won't make it out to West Texas. I still need to mix up some motors and get them tested before flying Spikey again.

Personally, I like the pic of you standing on your truck. Gives a better idea of the size of the rocket. And just plain looks cool!

Yes, the rocket is quite large, and with all of the stuff in it, it is also quite heavy .... yes, quite heavy.

Just giving you some grief, Chris. It was a great flight and I can't wait to see what you do with this rocket.

Jim

Yes, the rocket is quite large, and with all of the stuff in it, it is also quite heavy .... yes, quite heavy.

Just giving you some grief, Chris. It was a great flight and I can't wait to see what you do with this rocket.

Jim

Hey Jim, a certain Andy (aka Road Flare) was suppose to be my ground support help for that flight. However a few days before he mumbled something about work and kids, needless he wasn't able to make it. So, it seems that Andy now owes you for that debt. :) Two trips out to the pad and back, that's almost 200lb worth of hauling.

You were an immense amount of help and I appreciate it!

"Building rockets" is our code word for "sanding rockets".

Hah! Signature material there, if I have ever seen it before.

Random Flying Object, I am not sure how much more praise is needed at this point, but let me say that this is a fascinating and beautiful build. Congratulations on that and the flight, and I have definitely taken away quite a bit of inspiration as well as specific ideas.

Hah! Signature material there, if I have ever seen it before.

Random Flying Object, I am not sure how much more praise is needed at this point, but let me say that this is a fascinating and beautiful build. Congratulations on that and the flight, and I have definitely taken away quite a bit of inspiration as well as specific ideas.

Thanks! I am currently working on the pneumatic system and getting the additional 48" payload bay put on. I am also working on an "N" EX motor, but, well, aaahhhhhhh, it doesn't work yet.

At some point I will also be redesigning the primary AV bay. The 3D printed supports are functional and look really cool, but it is total pain in &@@ to work on. I have had some good results experimenting with carbon fiber vacuumed over 3D printed objects. I think I will use that technique to rebuild the AV bay structure to be a bit more maintenance friendly.

Good luck with your builds.

Finally getting around to building up the pneumatic supply system and upgrading the main deployment system.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1421531562.568658.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Now that is some "Real Rocket Science. Good luck with the project. You have my attention. (And I'm quite sure many others)

Been sitting while I build a scaled down version of it. I have an M3700 to put it up on at Airfest. Will probably launch it again at Balls.

I was going back and forth on BALLS attendance, this definitely being another reason for going. Keep an eye out for me! If there I will be doing attempting L3 on my Mega Nuke, up scale of the LOC model.

The current plan is to do Airfest and Balls, busy Sept... I have a buddy that will most likely be doing his L3 at Balls also.

You will definitely be able to find us, look for a yellow ATV and a rocket trailer with way too many antennas.

Good luck with you L3 project.

Back