OFFICIAL BBQ/Grilling Pictures Thread!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
BBQ Season is in full swing! Let us view some scenes of BBQ goodness!
These BBQ Threads at this time of Year always lend themselve to BBQ Recipe Swaps and a general sense of delicious BBQ Food, so let the Fun begin!!!:pop:

Last edited:
They're best with the fur still on, that way you know they are pre-stuffed ;)

I'll fire up the old Hibachi tomorrow night. I can't find the grill that belongs to it but I have a substitute grill I'm using until I can find one that fits better. But I have a nice steak that will sit just fine right in the middle of what I have :)

Last edited:
I think when I get home my older one is going in for overhaul. Mrs bought me a nice 1/2 stainless steel one from Sears about 6 yrs ago. Most of the internal, non-stanless steel parts need replaced. I should have done it last year but I decided that the $150 was better spent on a fully functional one from Lowes. This years budget will go for new parts while I use the one from Lowes.

Infact I think the first night I'm home will be some dry rubbed chicken leg quarters.....
Mrs has been after me to make kabobs. Unfortunately daughter is not keen on veggies, except grilled mushrooms so kabobs become difficult. I guess I'll figure something out.

This thread has got my attention! I've just gotten in to slow smoking and pulling pork on the Weber, which tastes fantastic on home-made breadrolls. I've just finished making a new rub, using the following ingredients - the pork gets covered in mustard and the rub is applied 12 hours before I start cooking.

I'm still trying out various ingredients in the rubs to see what works best, but overall the result is typically spicey and smokey. I'm keen to see what you guys use.

Sumo's Rub:
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 cup Paprika
• 2 TBLSP coarse Salt (sea or kosher)
• 2 TBLSP Black Pepper
• 2 TBLSP Cajun spice
• 1 TBLSP Cayenne Pepper
• 2 TBLSP BBQ seasoning
• 2 tsp Cumin
• 2 tsp dry mustard
• 2 tsp Onion Powder
• 2 tsp Garlic Powder
• 1 tsp Thyme Powder
• 1 tsp Oregano
• 1 tsp celery powder

These are backed up with a really simple breadroll recipe I picked up from somewhere online:
• 4 1/2 cups (560g) plain flour
• 1/4 cup caster sugar
• 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1 1/2 tablespoons dried instant yeast
• 60g butter or margarine, melted
• 375ml (1 1/2 cups) cold water
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1. Mix together flour, sugar, salt and instant yeast. Mix in butter, then the water. 2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead by hand for 20 minutes. Cover dough with oil. Place dough in a bowl, cover and proof for 1 hour. 3. Form into 24 rolls, and place on a greased baking tray. Prove for 45 minutes. 4. Bake at 200 degrees C for 12 to 14 minutes until golden and firm.

Makingtherub.jpgFiringup.jpgReadyToPull.jpg

A couple of recent creations:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1401056531.337101.jpg

Loaded Bacon Loaf

IMG_0657.jpg

Five Cheese Chicken Alfredo Pizza

Here's my set up. Today I made a Sweet Italian Sausage stuffed with Cabot Pepperjack Cheese, on a Toasted Bun with Mustard.

Looking at the Pictures has made me hungry again, so I'm going to have the same thing for Supper too.:)

Always wanted a good southern Brunswick stew recipe. Anyone got one?

If you haven't been, you need to go to this:

https://www.stewbilee.com/

The Brunswick Chamber of Commerce has published a (what appears to be) decent recipe for Brunswick Stew and I think this is it:

https://www.officialguide.com/gistew.html

I don't have my (printed) copy immediately before me - but will check / compare and get back to you (altho I've never actually made any from the recipe -- planning to).

[obligatory recipe:]

Southern Pit-Cooked pork:

First, THE PIT:
==================
* Level out a spot of ground - say 2'x3' to bare (packed) dirt;
* 'Pave' the area with solid (not cored) brick - laid flat (dry laid, i.e. no mortar)
(There is no mortar used in this construction - everything is 'dry stacked' - simpler and also allows the pit to 'breathe');
* Establish your size - based on a ceramic coated replacement grill grate (for those fancy gas-fired jobs)
(Mine is based on a 16x20 grill - enough for 2 pork shoulders);
* Start by 'dry-stacking' brick (these can be cored - more common) approx 1" bigger in both dimensions
(i.e. 17x21) INSIDE dimension - to fit the grill grate above
(lay these brick in 'running bond' - i.e. offset the next course up by half a brick - this will 'knit' the brick together...
... stacking the brick one on top of the other will guarantee the pit will fall over... eventually);
* Leave the front side open (for the first 3 courses of brick) (this for a place to 'charge' the pit with coals)
(you'll need to procure a 'lintel' - small piece of flat steel etc - to support the brick above this front opening...
and secure some scrap tin to serve as a 'door' for the front opening (simply hold in place with a brick));
* On the 3rd course, turn the corner brick at 45 deg - to provide a 'ledge' to support the grill grate
(this will allow the grate to be removed for cleaning)
(this thing is going be 'ugly' - inside relatively square, but outside is... well,you know)
(this is important for flavor -- pork cooked on 'pretty' pits tastes horrible :) );
(ALT: if you find 8" (3 courses) places the coals too close to your meat, raise it up to 4 courses)
* Lay your lintel across the front opening on (top of) the 3rd course;
(you will want the top of your 45 corner ledges to be approx 8 inches above the 'floor' - which will be 3 courses of brick);
* Continue dry-stacking brick for another 3 (or 4) courses - this time all the way around (i.e. including front - on top of your steel lintel);
* Secure a piece of 1/4" plywood for the top and drill a small hole (for the thermometer) in the center;
(alt: you can also find a scrap piece of 3/4" urethane insulation - lay of top of plywood to minimize heat loss)

COOKING:
============

The principle of cooking here is to build a fire (of whatever hardwood of your choice) off to the side - typically on a piece of metal roofing - and, as the wood burns down to coals, you place a shovelful or 2 in the base of the pit periodically to maintain your cooking temperature (250-300 - put a dial thermometer in the hole in your cover - 500deg range). This will be an all-day job (I typically start right before lunch and have 'good food' for the evening meal). I generally pre-heat the pit prior to putting the meat on - maybe 20-30 minutes. DO NOT place burning (or unburned) wood in the pit -- actual flames will damage the meat - the meat is cooked by radiant heat from the coals (and vaporized fat dripping off the meat - which is where a lot of your flavor comes from).

You will need to 're-charge' the coals about every 1/2 hour (which is also how often you turn the meat) - use your shovel and *gingerly* add the coals thru the door - so as to not get (too much) ash on the meat. This works for most any meat - but the 'classic' down here in the south is the pork shoulder ('boston butt'). Start your meat 'fat side up' to benefit from the melted fat basting your meat. Keep the 'door' closed to the coals except when charging.

You can apply any rub or other treatment to your liking - but I've never done so -- just 'plain jane' here. You should cook your meat a minimum of 5 hours - up to about 7 (when it literally falls apart is about the best). Again, keep your temperature below 300 for best results.

NOTE: There are those who believe in the 'smoke' of burning wood is what bar-b-que really is and there are pits around here constructed that way - a separate fire-box for burning the wood that is then 'vented' under and then OVER the meat (a drip pan keeps the fat from starting a fire and routed back to a chimney over the fire (it just re-routes the smoke over the pit). This also somewhat mimics those 'smoker grills'. While I agree that these cooking aproaches are nice ideas (those kinds of pits - constructed of masonry - are a rather serious undertaking), the approach here (above) is a considerably simpler approach and, over the years, I can't find any fault with it -- the result is as flavorful as any I've tasted anywhere (including Corky's in Memphis). Since this is such a simple little pit, it takes the most minimal effort to try it out and see for yourself.

-- john.

Fresh off the grill, my take on Beef Wellington, dubbed Sportsman's Wellington.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1402260316.435650.jpg

Smoked Scotch Eggs hot off the grill...

IMG_0962.jpg

And the first plate ready for serving with Honey Dijon dip--YUM!!! (and fairly healthy too)

IMG_0964.jpg

This is too good a thread to leave dormant. I am going to be ambitious today and smoke a pork butt in the Weber Performer Charcoal Grill I got for Christmas. I have done the usual grilling and have smoked ribs but this is longest I have attempted at 8 to 10 hours (with Kingford charcoal and apple wood chunks). I love the control this grill gives you and am amazed at how long you can get the charcoal to last. Definitely in the mood for pulled pork today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back