Streamer Material?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think what you are talking about is flagging tape. Lowes has it for about $4.flagtape.jpg
Presco 1-in x 600-ft Orange Flagging Tape
Item #: 158660 | Model #: TF1OG600-345

I am sure there are cheaper places to get it.

Some people use sheet plastic table covering from the party stores.
You can find shade that matches the color of your model.
Find the better, slightly more expensive plastic table cloths. The dollar store stuff is too thin.

Cutting a space blanket into strips.

Yes, I know you asked about orange stuff, but mylar still makes pretty good streamers.

Crepe paper is good streamer material; cheap, available in many colors, about the right width, light, comes already wrinkled for surface roughness and high drag, and usually chemically treated to be fire resistant. As an additional benefit, crepe paper color comes right off on your fingers----so the other folks at the launch can match up your rocket with your hands.

What is that res/orange nylon plasticy stuff that I see used for streamers?

The flagging tape works good but needs replacing every few flights because it melts easy. I have had decent success making streamers from strips cut from Mylar party balloons.

What is that res/orange nylon plasticy stuff that I see used for streamers?

I'm Sure the "Plastic Stuff" your thinking about is called "Surveyor's tape[/B]" comes on 1" wide rolls in a number of colors most common is orange but avaiable at most Home improvement and hardware stores in red,pink,blue and sometimes green. All are very inexpensive, a single roll would last a very long time. This stuff is great for 10.5 to about BT-50 size models. I really do not suggest this stuffs for use in Micro models as it is generally far to stiff and must be split into at least 1/4" or 3/8" wide strips.

Many Estes and other manufactures have used this stuff for years in Streamer recovery BT-5 and BT-20 model kits.

Another option is 2" wide Plastic "Caution tape" again available at Lowes and Home Depot in 200yd rolls for under 10 bucks. This material is basicly the same thickness as Surveyor's tape so it's great for standard size models and works great on larger diameter models. I've personally used this stuff on BT-60 and BT-70 models in lengths up to 12feet.

Because you ask this question in the micro maxx forum I'll assume you are looking for streamer material for use with our tiny models.
To that end I'll suggest a bunch of different materials but bear this in mind. Almost all these materials will melt badly if exposed to the ejection charge from our MMX motors. Flame Proof wadding is required.
For most Micro size models 1/4" to 1/2" wide strips 9" to 12" long is more then sufficent.
* Space Blankets: Usually 2mil thick. One blanket will make 100's of streamers & Chutes.
* Mylar GiftWrap: Generally 1 to 2mil thick. Party Store and Dollar stores have 2'x3'sheets and rolls.
*Real Fabric Ribbon: Fabric Store Small width 1/4" Ribbon works well with minimum dia. micor models....Needs protective wadding.
*Wide Fabric Ribbon: Fabric Store 3-6" wide ribbons, doesn't hold pleading but works ok in larger Standard Models..Needs wadding.

*Crepe Paper: This stuff is Special as it is already treated with flame retardant. Can tear fairly easily, Burning propellant bits will make holes but can be used AS wadding in addition to being the Streamer;)

** My Preferred Micro Maxx streamer matersial also serves as permanent wadding as well.**
* Plain old Plumbers Teflon Sealing tape: White Only, 1/2" or 3/4" wide, Very Cheap. must be Talc Baby Powdered to work well.
* Military Grade PTFE (teflon) Sealing Tape: Comes in muted Red,Orange,Yellow & Green colors. about twice as thick as Plumbers tape making it a bit easier to handle, must also be Talc Baby Powdered before the first fold/rolling and after every other flight.
I buy mine from McMaster-Carr in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and 1" wide rolls. Starting at around 2.57/43foot rolls. Cat #44945K11 - K17
I'm sure this material would be available from other sources and perhaps might even be cheaper?
Personally I've fallen in love with this stuff as it eliminates FPwadding completely and generally outlasts the model body.
Hope all this helps.

Streamers-c_Cheap materal_2in plastic Caution Tape_01-08-10.JPG

Streamers-a1_Mylar,Micafilm,Crepe materials_09-30-06.jpg

Teflon Streamer-a_.5in to 2in Streamer tapes_06-02-04.jpg

Teflon Streamer-b_ Attachment_Cut to length_04-17-11.JPG

Teflon Streamer-c_ Attachment_Stretch & curl 2 edges_04-17-11.JPG

Teflon Streamer-d Attachment_Square knot to shockline_04-17-11.JPG

Last edited:
For light weight streamer duration rockets I use crepe paper. For contests in particular I replace the streamer once it has been used.
I also use a 10:1 length/width ratio.
That being said there are lots of materials that can successfully be used.

For light weight streamer duration rockets I use crepe paper. For contests in particular I replace the streamer once it has been used.
I also use a 10:1 length/width ratio.
That being said there are lots of materials that can successfully be used.

Good point and something that does need just a little elabortation: The 10:1 Length/width ratio formula was specifically determined for Crepe Paper and Accordian folded Tracing vellum through extensive drop test at MIT back in the 1970's. It works extremely well for these two matierals (crepe until the pleating is crushed by repeated rolling) but should not be considered a "Law" for other streamer materials such as accordian folded Mylars, Mica Film, Robin Blue mylar or several other Pleat holding stream material. With other materials additional length can and does further retard sink rates. In competitions we often see 4" x 80" or 6" x 100" 1mil mylar accordian folded streamers thermal away regularly. Limiting these materials to a strict 10:1 ratio can cost places in comptition.

For Sport flying Streamers Longer lengths can also be a bonus. In fact the Old Estes Goblin Streamer model is Kitted with a 2" x 120" Crepe Streamer, helping a great deal in spotting the very high flying model on the way back down.
Surveryers tape and Caution tapes do not hold pleats so longer lengths help slow our models by simple Air Drag. Same holds true for Wrapping paper type mylars, table cloths and sheets. With these materails a 2" x 90 to 110" streamer can work better both visually and stoage wise in the model then a 4" x 40" by increasing the area and drag distrubution with greater length.
For the most part I use the 10:1 length/wide ratio as a starting point for area when deciding on what size streamer to use in a model then adjust to available space in the model acording to the intended sink rate:)

Last edited:
Back