newb Mosquito ??????'s

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
So I got a Mosquito with my mega Mosquito during the Estes sale- but it has zero instructions- can anyone point me in the right direction and any tips are greatly appreciated in advance-

Thanks fella's

Andy

EDIT -Okay Im and idiot- I found the highly complicated build sheet :wink:

Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Had planned on A10-3t MM first flight. Unless suggested otherwise ?

Paint it fluorescent orange. Cant the fins a bit to make it spin. Have many sets of good eyes at launch.

I have some neon green - lol .
Just go ahead and glue the nose cone on then ? and do I need that little plug for the rear of the nose cone or no ?

There is no such thing as an "A10-3t MM"

The A10-3T motor is a "mini" motor and is MUCH more powerful than a MicroMaxx motor.

The MicroMaxx II-1 motor is a 1/8A equivalent total power, so it is about 1/8 the total power of an A motor.

Had planned on A10-3t MM first flight. Unless suggested otherwise ?

There is no such thing as an "A10-3t MM"

The A10-3T motor is a "mini" motor and is MUCH more powerful than a MicroMaxx motor.

The MicroMaxx II-1 motor is a 1/8A equivalent total power, so it is about 1/8 the total power of an A motor.

Thanks for explaining - its all new to me,sorry.
So that said- the A10-3 mini is gonna be a bunch for it huh ?
Expected altitude ?

The Estes (free) iPhone app altitude predictor says 975 feet. You will never see it again.

If you used the more sane 1/4A3-3T it would go 336.73 feet and you might see it again.

Thanks for explaining - its all new to me,sorry.
So that said- the A10-3 mini is gonna be a bunch for it huh ?
Expected altitude ?

By the way, in the early 1970's MPC introduced the first "mini" motors (1/2 inch or 13mm diameter) and they used the suffix "m" for "mini".

Estes followed with their own mini motors, but they used "T" which we all assume stood for "Tiny".

Centuri then used "M" for their mini motors.

Quest has had some Chinese mini motors certified, but they never were sold on the open market. They used the "T" suffix as well:
https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Quest/A3T_cn.pdf

The Estes (free) iPhone app altitude predictor says 975 feet. You will never see it again.

If you used the more sane 1/4A3-3T it would go 336.73 feet and you might see it again.

I couldnt help but LOL at " If you used the more sane " -
Thanks for the help and the app :wink:
Somehow between my first post and gluing on the fins I have managed to loose the nose cone- cats-grrrrrrrr.
So it saved me from myself :facepalm:

Andy

Last edited:
I couldnt help but LOL at " If you used the more sane " -
Thanks for the help and the app :wink:
Somehow between my first post and gluing on the fins I have managed to loose the nose cone- cats-grrrrrrrr.
So it saved me from myself :facepalm:

Andy
Adding the weight of a Micro-Maxx engine mount, the predicted altitude on a Micro-Maxx II is 197 feet, but the delay is too short to ever get to that height.

So maybe 100 feet

Build two of the little Mosquitoes - one to fly and a second to secretly pull out of your pocket after the first one's flight as you proclaim "Here it is. I found it!" :)

-- Roger

Build two of the little Mosquitoes - one to fly and a second to secretly pull out of your pocket after the first one's flight as you proclaim "Here it is. I found it!" :)

-- Roger

LMAO Roger thats good stuff :roll:
You going out to TTRA this month ?
I'm thinking its time the Madcow Hawk flew and could use a few good shots ;)

LMAO Roger thats good stuff :roll:
You going out to TTRA this month ?
I'm thinking its time the Madcow Hawk flew and could use a few good shots ;)

I haven't thought about TTRA yet. I have survive the first two Saturdays in June first.

-- Roger

So I got a Mosquito with my mega Mosquito during the Estes sale- but it has zero instructions- can anyone point me in the right direction and any tips are greatly appreciated in advance-
Thanks fella's
Andy
EDIT -Okay Im and idiot- I found the highly complicated build sheet :wink:
Any suggestions are welcome.

Hi Andy,
I just finished the Mini Mosquito build on my blog at:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.mx/search/label/E Mini Mosquito

It's in reversed order from finish to start.
I did a couple posts about the lack of instructions and where to find answers to most questions.

The Mega Mosquito is being built now.
Stop by the blog when you have the chance.

A BT-5 to MMX Motor mount Rear Ejection pod is the easiest way to ensure you get to fly your mosquito a second time LOL!
1.0" of T2+ (.281") body tube and two T5-T2+ centering rings, about 30" of 70-100lb braided Kevlar and 9" to 12" of 1/2" or 3/4" wide Streamer material or Teflon plumber tape as the streamer is all that's needed. Epoxy the overhand knotted Kevlar directly into the NC, and attach the pod as shown. My various mosquitos fly to about 100feet almost teleporting off the pad. If it weren't for the Streamer I'd have lost several of them as I never saw them until they were on the way back down:)

Flying a Stock mosquito on an A10-3T is an almost certain way to loose the model on the first flight. Mosquitos actually fly very nicely on 1/4A3-3T, 1/2A3-4T and occasionally recovery flight on A3-4T's;)
Hope you have fun with you model no matter which way you fly it.

MM 294c-a_Mosquito rearEject MMX X-Metal Red_03-14-14.jpg

MM 294c-b_Mosquito show RearEject Pod & Streamer_03-14-14.jpg

MM 294a_Mosquito-a rear streamer eject_03-27-04.jpg

MM 294a-Lp08b_Mosquito-a After recovery_06-16-07.JPG

Thanks John, I was looking at your thread for that today- good way to live to fly another day - lol .

Andy

Threads like this one and Posts like Micromeisters are why I just ordered a Mosquito.:)
I have not done any 1/4A Builds in Years, and I just gotta' have one!

Here's mine I just finished today. I epoxied the Nose Cone in, then matched it to the BT with Bondo. Then I papered the fins, and used the "Double Glueing" method to attach them with Titebond II, followed by two layers of Fillets of Titebond Trim and Molding Glue. Then, I treated the Fins with Super Thin CA for added stiffness and durability. The finishing touch was to use regular CA, Crazy Glue Brand, on a Q-Tip to coat the inside of the Body Tube to prevent any erosion or degradation to the insides of the BT from the countless Ejecting Motors that this little Monster will see.
If it is nice out tomorrow I'll get some Paint on there.

-- Roger

Wish I had thought of that..... I finally launched the mini today, and promptly lost it. We had a dozen pair of eyes on it as well...
Nuts...

Anyway, the Mega Mosquito launched twice on D12-3s and did just fine....straight, high fine! Got one D motor left, as time ran out.

Starting my pair of mosquitos in a few days too. Going to try a 3d printed micromaxx mount with the rear streamer. Should be a good counterpoint to stuffing a 3-grain cti motor in the mega mossie.

-Hans

Starting my pair of mosquitos in a few days too. Going to try a 3d printed micromaxx mount with the rear streamer. Should be a good counterpoint to stuffing a 3-grain cti motor in the mega mossie.

-Hans
I don't think ABS (and definitely not PLA) can withstand the heat of a motor mount...

I think you'll be surprised. Apparently people are regularly printing complete minimum dimension rockets to fly on 18mm motors. The only real problems I'm seeing are the same as traditional rocketeers, which is recovery problems. But I haven't seen any mention of problems with melting being mentioned anywhere. Some REALLY cool fin designs I'm seeing too.

[video=youtube;mmyPmC10HU8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmyPmC10HU8[/video]

Worst case I'm out 10 minutes of CAD time and a couple meters of ABS.

Back