Ejection Baffle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scode68

Reaction score
I see that there are quite a few different kinds, what has worked best for you?

Can I install them anywhere in the tube?

I use the "half moon" design similar to the ones Jim Flis sells at Flis Kits. It consists of 3 alternating semi-circle plates inside of a tube coupler. I have also used the Centuri style ones a few times. They work just as well as the half moon ones. They are just take more time to make from scratch.

Can I install them anywhere in the tube?

Yes. However, you should try and place it as far away from the motor mount as possible and still have room for your recovery device(s). The closer it is to the motor, the more wear and tear it will receive, which will lead to it blowing out faster.

I use the "half moon" design similar to the ones Jim Flis sells at Flis Kits. It consists of 3 alternating semi-circle plates inside of a tube coupler. I have also used the Centuri style ones a few times. They work just as well as the half moon ones. They are just take more time to make from scratch.

Yes. However, you should try and place it as far away from the motor mount as possible and still have room for your recovery device(s). The closer it is to the motor, the more wear and tear it will receive, which will lead to it blowing out faster.

The other advantage to having the baffle as far forward as possible is that the extra weight forward increases stability AND the baffle keeps the laundry (parachute) forward, also aiding in maintaining good stability.

jim

I prefer bafles that make it impossible for hot ejection charge particles to get to your chute. For that, you need something that allows the gas to escape but makes it impossible for burning particles to do so - 90 or 180 degree turns are no problem for gas, but burning particles don't make "U" turns very well, which is what you want.

Here's a thread I started a while ago on my favorite baffle design. It's scalable to everything from very small rockets to very large rockets. It also has the advantage of making your booster zipper-proof. Perhaps it'll give you some ideas for your rocket.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=1901

Back