MEGA Mosquito Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
After the Estes sales, everybody must have has one (or three) of these in their build pile -

MEGA MOSQUITO

MegaMosquito 36.jpg

www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

Yesterdays first post was a redraw of the MiniBrute "Bug" art in both the
Mini and Mega sizes. Scroll down few to see the decals.
Check the blog on how to request the free PDF decal art.

Last edited:
I grabbed a couple also- lol . I was gonna toss the Mosquito together and hit the back yard today. Suggestions on the little one welcome ???
I was just tooling around the MMX threads , good info.

I grabbed a couple also- lol . I was gonna toss the Mosquito together and hit the back yard today. Suggestions on the little one welcome ???

I just finished the Mini Mosquito, here's all the blog posts on that one:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.mx/search/label/E Mini Mosquito
I didn't spend much time on it, it'll probably be lost anyway.

Suggestions?
Paint it a bright color and do your Mini Mosquito first launches with the 1/4A engine.
That's my plan anyway.

Hans I Just got my Mega out of the bag and getting ready to build it- very nice kit for the money- sandwiched fins and thru body fit, very smooth body tube- NICE
Has me almost wanting to take it 29 mm right off the bat - lol

Andy

On the Mega M I did a "Flying Tiger Mega Mosquito." It is the one in back that didn't crash. It is a good old man tester because only the old dudes seen to know the AVG scheme and the Chinese roundels.

Argent crash 5.jpg

The neighbor boy built one with a florescent Green, Yellow and Pink crackel over white scheme that looked "SCHWAG" from a youthful standpoint.

I was actually surprised at how well mine flew on its maiden outing a couple of weeks ago! I modded mine to 3x 24mm motors and flew it on 3x C11-7's (pretty windy that day!).

Mosquito-C11.jpg

you mean everyone doesn't know the AVG scheme??? I can't even tell you how many P-40's I built in that scheme....its just classic. that is a sweet looking bird Daddy!

On the Mega M I did a "Flying Tiger Mega Mosquito." It is the one in back that didn't crash. It is a good old man tester because only the old dudes seen to know the AVG scheme and the Chinese roundels.

View attachment 173908

The neighbor boy built one with a florescent Green, Yellow and Pink crackel over white scheme that looked "SCHWAG" from a youthful standpoint.

you mean everyone doesn't know the AVG scheme??? I can't even tell you how many P-40's I built in that scheme....its just classic. that is a sweet looking bird Daddy!

I concur,, he keeps giving me ideas.:)

Yep. Kinda surprised everyone did not immediately recognize the scheme. Made me feel old. One young hipster did recognize the roundel as Taiwan! So many shark teeth out there and they had not seen the Duke in The Flying Tigers. I was showing the Beech Staggerwing rocket to a group of college students and said I thought Clark Gable owned one, the name Clark Gable did not ring a bell with them. I then said he also owned an Auburn Boat Tail Speedster, more blank looks. Then they got back to their computer simulations to guarantee a good flight having never really launched a rocket. I am so obsolete and old fashioned, having built plastic models. How boring when compared to action packed virtual reality and social networking.

Dad are you TEAM EDWARD or TEAM JACOB? Are you Abnegation, Amity, Candor, Dauntless, or Erudite? UUMMM. . . I would like to build a Mosquito with the cute retro mini brute bug decal and I think the Citation Patriot and bell bottom pants are cool.

Have one in the works as a (4)C11 or D12 cluster. I've already eliminated the outside Balsa sheeting, using 3/64 Light ply to make the thing a little lighter and give the fins a bit more stiffness. Should be a fun model "if I ever get it finished".

attachment.php

I’m done assembling mine and am in the process of sealing and sanding the fins, and sealing and sanding and sealing and sanding and sel. . .Well you get the point.

Now for a couple of questions, first; what shade/brand Yellow did you use?

And how is it that this short little rocket with all that fin weight hanging off the back can even be stable?

The CP of this model must be just south of the motor retainer.

Yep. Kinda surprised everyone did not immediately recognize the scheme. Made me feel old. One young hipster did recognize the roundel as Taiwan! So many shark teeth out there and they had not seen the Duke in The Flying Tigers. I was showing the Beech Staggerwing rocket to a group of college students and said I thought Clark Gable owned one, the name Clark Gable did not ring a bell with them. I then said he also owned an Auburn Boat Tail Speedster, more blank looks. Then they got back to their computer simulations to guarantee a good flight having never really launched a rocket. I am so obsolete and old fashioned, having built plastic models. How boring when compared to action packed virtual reality and social networking.

Dad are you TEAM EDWARD or TEAM JACOB? Are you Abnegation, Amity, Candor, Dauntless, or Erudite? UUMMM. . . I would like to build a Mosquito with the cute retro mini brute bug decal and I think the Citation Patriot and bell bottom pants are cool.

Ask them if they know who the "Mercury 7" are or Werner Von Braun, being into rocketry they should. As for "Cool" I'll agree with you on the Patriot but the other,, well,, I guess we'll agree to disagree.:wink:

ROTFL!! DaddyisaBar... I know and understand you plight...been there many times on our flying field. My Father flew both P-40's and later P-51's I'm still founder of the Old P-40 Flying Tiger just love the eye's and Teeth nose art. Just a really KEWL fighter.

yes...Daddy...I guess we are old dinosaurs. Plastic models? I am building one right now...the ol F-8 Crusader! another sleek a cool looking bird. In all the models I have made in my life, I never made an F-8. After that, I am going to build F-102..the Deuce! My techno 18 year old son looks at me like a nut building these kits..I mean..you actually have to plan your work out and build them step by step! why do the work when you can get one already made? I try explaining that the fun is in the build...blank stare in return..:facepalm:

speaking of Ckark Gable....wasn't he a top turret gunner on a B-17 during the war? can you imagine our current stars in Hollywood doing that? they might break a finger nail! :shock: heck Jimmy Stewart not only flew B-24's...he went to become a group comander, earned Brg. general and flew B-52's over Vietnam.....different times I guess.

:
Ask them if they know who the "Mercury 7" are or Werner Von Braun, being into rocketry they should. As for "Cool" I'll agree with you on the Patriot but the other,, well,, I guess we'll agree to disagree.:wink:

Easy, the Mercury 7 were in the last Thor and XMen movies, They are super heroes who fly really fast in silver suits and shoot down the bad guys with big chrome hand cannons. I think Braun is an electric shaver dude.

I was so disappointed a while back when the wife said an Old Navy store was opening at the strip mall. I thought I could get a decent dixie cup hat, some bell bottoms and a pea coat, but there was nothing Old Navy about it!:)

Last edited:
speaking of Ckark Gable....wasn't he a top turret gunner on a B-17 during the war? can you imagine our current stars in Hollywood doing that? they might break a finger nail! :shock: heck Jimmy Stewart not only flew B-24's...he went to become a group comander, earned Brg. general and flew B-52's over Vietnam.....different times I guess.

You are correct. Wonder how many of the current actors have been in uniform.:eyeroll:
https://legendaryclarkgable.com/WWII.html

:

Easy, the Mercury 7 were in the last Thor and XMen movies, They are super heroes who fly really fast in silver suits and shoot down the bad guys with big chrome hand cannons. I think Braun is an electric shaver dude.

I was so disappointed a while back when the wife said an Old Navy store was opening at the strip mall. I thought I could get a decent dixie cup hat, some bell bottoms and a pea coat, but there was nothing Old Navy about it!:)

Please don't do that I spit my drink all over the place.:rofl:

attachment.php

I’m done assembling mine and am in the process of sealing and sanding the fins, and sealing and sanding and sealing and sanding and sel. . .Well you get the point.

Now for a couple of questions, first; what shade/brand Yellow did you use?

And how is it that this short little rocket with all that fin weight hanging off the back can even be stable?

The CP of this model must be just south of the motor retainer.

This style of Rocket is just "Magically Stable". I don't know how to explain the Physics of it because I'm not skilled in that regard, but what I can tell you is that this Design is just naturally stable. If you were going to fly a Motor with Fins glued to it and a Nose Cone on top, it would be pretty stable if it looked something like this.
It's like those Cone Style Oddrocs.

This style of Rocket is just "Magically Stable". I don't know how to explain the Physics of it because I'm not skilled in that regard, but what I can tell you is that this Design is just naturally stable. If you were going to fly a Motor with Fins glued to it and a Nose Cone on top, it would be pretty stable if it looked something like this.
It's like those Cone Style Oddrocs.

I agree. I've seem them fly a few times, and they are rock-solid super stable, even on very slow motors.

Nothing magic about it... the motor tends to be the heaviest point of the rocket, and here it's mounted significantly ahead of the fins, so the CP/CG will almost always be solid.

I just ordered a Mosquito.:) The regular small variety. I usually got more than a few good flights before loosing them back in the Day.
Now though, I'm a more skilled Rocketeer, and am fairly certain I can make a nice one with Shiny Stuff.

With the large triple layered fins with a big, blunt square leading edges, a low thrust long burn E9 4 motor, and paint job to please, the Mega Skeeter is a great low and slow rocket for the whole family.

Are you talking about Warner Von Brain?

With the large triple layered fins with a big, blunt square leading edges, a low thrust long burn E9 4 motor, and paint job to please, the Mega Skeeter is a great low and slow rocket for the whole family.

Just don't spray it with DEET.

I was walking across the living room with the finished mini mosquito in hand, and it was SO light, that it flipped out and fell onto the hardwood floor, snapping off a fin before ever being flown. ARRRGGGHHHH!

So, my suggestion is that you hit the fillets securing the fins to the tiny body tube extra firmly.... so you don't have the same result as me!

What? Are you SUPPOSED to leave the leading edges of the fins blunt and square? I got the palm orbital sander away from the wife and feathered my edges to a more knife's blade leading edge. Did I do wrong? I haven't found any D12-3 or D12-5 to give it a maiden voyage yet.

What? Are you SUPPOSED to leave the leading edges of the fins blunt and square? I got the palm orbital sander away from the wife and feathered my edges to a more knife's blade leading edge. Did I do wrong? I haven't found any D12-3 or D12-5 to give it a maiden voyage yet.

Kirk! You really need to stop thinking that there is a "Wrong" way to do Rocketry!
Do it your way, and learn from everything you do.

Back