Where to begin?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRosales

Reaction score
Hi,

I know this question has been asked a million times but I am looking for some personal opinions. I want to get into amateur rocketry and have wanted to for some time. I live in the Macon area of Georgia. Here is a little background about myself:

As a kid I flew a lot of the small Estes kits. I have flown some home built rockets using RCandy motors and I really enjoyed the satisfaction of building everything from scratch. It has been at least 6 years since I have flown any rockets. Being an engineer ( B.S. Aerospace Engineering), I know that I want to build everything from scratch but I understand there may be some resentment towards RCandy motors. I really want to steer away from buying motors but I understand that I may not be able to avoid that aspect. What do you guys think about this? I would really appreciate any suggestions on where I should start. I definitely want to get into at least MPR. I plan on attending the SoAR Lilly Launch on the 26th to get a feel for the hobby.

I have been looking around and it seems that there are very few if any people that are interested in this in my area. I find that very hard to believe. Maybe people just don't have a reliable outlet around middle Georgia. I would really like to find something that meets at least twice a month in my area. Any one have any experience setting up a section(NAR)?

If any of you guys need any resources I would be glad to provide you with them. I have literature on virtually any aerospace topic you can imagine.

Thanks in advance for any input,

William

William,

Welcome to the Forum and welcome back to amateur rocketry. If you're looking for opinions, you've come to the right place.

I think, though, you'll have to look at the Tripoli Rocketry Association if you're interested in making motors from scratch. NAR rules require the use of certified motors which is still fun but not exactly what you're looking for.

I'll let some others give you the benefit of their knowledge on your specific needs. Whatever you find out, try to get out to a few organized launches of both groups to see what the hobby is up to these days.

William- Greetings from a former Georgian (okay-I had a transient passport!) from Warner Robins. AFAIK- I started the first rocket club at Rumble Junior High back in the mid-sixties. I think the problem you may be having is trying to dance to two different types of music. You express interest in Rcandy, but you want to start a NAR section. I really believe you'd be more content and find like-minded folks in Tripoli. Posters like 'cwbullet' and 'blackjack2564' are regulars here who may have contacts in your area. You can try this chap in Hotlanta:
BURL FINKELSTEIN
1068 WITCHER RD
NEWNAN, GA 30263-4643
finkelstein[at]charter.net
https://www.tripoliatlanta.info/
You will note also we have an EX forum, but you must have certed thru L2 to join. While you can do that thru NAR, Tripoli supports EX at scheduled launches all over the country. As you noted, there is immense satisfaction knowing you built everything you are flying, but the EX route is it's own rabbit hole. Most EX'ers I know already have proofed out airframes and are experienced with extreme performance birds and treat the hobby from their perspective as more as chemistry experiments than say, making scale models. I've played with Ex and hold my opinions to myself as it can become really addictive-almost to the point you're giving away motors just to see them fly! At any rate- Welcome to the madness we fondly call TRF and keep posting. We play fast and furious with our opinions, support our rocket brothers with fact and fiction and generally celebrate any rocket flight from micromaxx to "O" birds. Welcome to the smoke, brother. You are doomed! Straight smoke and good chutes!

Thanks for all the great information. Thanks fyrwrxz I will definitely follow up with that contact information.

Back