TLP Indigo Build, (With Launch Video Now)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do suppose I could Friction Fit and Tape a E12. Hmmmm...

I guess I'll go consult the Thrust Curves on the NAR Site for a bit and do some Mindsims.

I don't want to weigh down the Tail with a heavy BP Motor and not have the CG far enough forward.

Last edited:
Also, I don't have a Launch Rod for this one yet. A trip to the Hardware Store is in order.
Should have used 1010 buttons.:facepalm:

That's funny. I seem to recall Post #66 of this Thread, where you tell me that it will fly on a D12 as long as it is under 14oz.:confused:

Also, I've seen some posts lately where heavier Birds fly on D12s. Even some with Video to prove it.

That said, I might put a Composite in there to be safe for the first Flight, then wait til' before the next Haying at my Friends Field to try a BP D12. Then if it lands hard it will be in tall Grass, so it won't damage it to bad.
I only want it to go up a few hundred Feet at the most.

The lift-off weight includes the motor! A D12-3 by itself weighs 1.57 oz.

It would probably lift it... but not very high and one little tiny gust of wind and you got problems. I personally wouldn't risk it with such a pretty bird.

Jerome

The lift-off weight includes the motor! A D12-3 by itself weighs 1.57 oz.

It would probably lift it... but not very high and one little tiny gust of wind and you got problems. I personally wouldn't risk it with such a pretty bird.

Jerome

You're right. I was'nt thinking Loaded Weight when I posted that. Loaded with the D12 it's 15.5oz.
I looked at some Thrust Curves on the NAR Site and could'nt help but notice that a E12 is nearly Identical to a D12.
Also, though I was figuring based on Liftoff Weights that I've seen others accomplish with D12s, I was not accounting for the fact that their Rockets had no Canard Fins, meaning ofcourse as you say that the slightest Wind could ruin a Flight.

Thanks for your Feedback. I'm going to go have a look at some Composite Single Use Aerotech stuff.

E20-4W is what I will use. Have to wait til' I can afford some, so first Launch will be next Month.:)

That's a Beauty TR!
I really hate I bashed mine now!
D12-3 should be fine, with little to no wind.

JP

The E20-4W comes in a 2 Pack, so I'll be able to fly my TLP Alarm that I built last year on the same Day as I launch this.:)

I usually buy my E20s from https://www.hobbylinc.com. They are priced at $15.19 right now. Best price around. You also get bonus points for purchase, reviews and photos. Get on their mailing list fr weekly specials too!

Jerome :)

E20-4 is on its way.
Oh, and I got the Two-Pack off off Amazon for $13.31+$4 S&H.
So like $17 and Change total.:)
One for the Indigo and one for the Martel.
I need to get rid off the Lugs on the Indigo first though and screw in a set of Rail Buttons.
Not only is it near impossible to find a decent Launch Rod in this size, but even if I did, it would be all "Whippy".
This Bird and all my others from now on will enjoy the 1010 Rail.

Last edited:
The E20-4W comes in a 2 Pack, so I'll be able to fly my TLP Alarm that I built last year on the same Day as I launch this.:)

My TLP Alarm is a Total Joke inside, and will need quite a bit of re-working if it is ever going to fly, so disregard this post of mine that I quoted.

I got rid of the ridiculous Launch Lugs and installed Buttons. Now I'll be able to actually fly it.

RailButtonsForIndigo 001.jpg

Just waiting on the Weather.
It would be nice to fly this on the same day as my AMRAAM, which is also only waiting for nice Weather.

Hey TR, where did your CG/CP end up? I just finished up mine and I did change a few things like moving the motor mount back about an inch and adding an Estes retainer.
I also lengthened the MMT to 6". In the nose cone I added about 7-10g of lead shot and with an Estes BP E 12 the CG is directly behind the front fins.

Hey TR, where did your CG/CP end up? I just finished up mine and I did change a few things like moving the motor mount back about an inch and adding an Estes retainer.
I also lengthened the MMT to 6". In the nose cone I added about 7-10g of lead shot and with an Estes BP E 12 the CG is directly behind the front fins.

I'll take it down from where it is hanging on the Cieling and go check. Back in a few.

I had to put the Chute' and a little Wadding in it, and weighed and balanced it with and without an E20-4W Motor.
Gave me a chance to use the CG Stickers I made awhile back.

Nose Cone 83g.:

TLP Indigo CG Weights 007.jpg

CG sans Motor:

TLP Indigo CG Weights 005.jpg

CG with Motor:

TLP Indigo CG Weights 004.jpg

Oh, almost forgot, unloaded the overall weight is 14.35oz, and with Motor it's 16.05oz.

Thanks a lot Top Ramen. My loaded and unloaded CG are exactly in the same place as yours.
I don't have access to a scale right now (I use the one at work) so I'm not sure of the weight.
Thanks again.

Launch video?

Of course, when it gets launched. I'm in Vermont, and it is Winter here right now. I like to fly in the Winter, but it requires perfect conditions, my Son not being in school so he can help set up and push the button, and feeling like flying.
I'm anxious too, trust me!

I know you are impatient for my launch videos, as you've left the exact same reply in my other threads, so to hold you over you can watch my TLP Martel Video.
The Indigo will be flying on an E20-4 too.

[video=youtube;FHFeGZLoORE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHFeGZLoORE[/video]

You keep blue-ballin us like that with all your awesome build threads and no launch videos! Nice boost on the Martel! What's on the list for your next build thread?

You keep blue-ballin us like that with all your awesome build threads and no launch videos! Nice boost on the Martel! What's on the list for your next build thread?

I have no place to build, as I'm trying to fix up and sell my house so I can buy a different one.
I can't have my livingroom all cluttered up with being my workshop, so I won't be building anything til' I move.:(

Sorry to have left ya'll hangin' like that.
Trust me, I'd rather be building!!!!

She actually flies a lot better than I hoped for, and nearly made it to the edge of the field. Scary landing!!!

[video=youtube;n_4PixwVYug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_4PixwVYug[/video]

Landed in the Sumacs. No damage, but the motor case was nowhere to be found. It did not bend the metal clip, but it did disappear. :confused2:
50 feet more and it would have been "Houston, we have a problem.".

Rocketwise Today, May 10th 2016 2016-05-10 010.jpg

For me, it was worth the wait, as if there were any different conditions, it would not have been more dangerous as it already was, and might have ended in disaster.

"Good things come to those who wait."

And I wait, in my sunken city beneath the sea.

Patience is a Virtue.

Back