Pledge substitue?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to coat my latest rockets with Pledge Future. I've already damaged one decal slightly :facepalm:

I tried 3 stores and I cannot find it. I looked through the forum so I think I know what the latest incarnation looks like.
They have a "cleaner" and a "finish" (and wood versions versus vinyl floor versions)

I found 2 stores had the cleaner but not the finish.
Both appeared to have this as a finish instead of the pledge finish

pledge 2.jpg

Has anyone used this before?

Thanks
Les

I'm not so sure about the bottle with the green label. It needs to be a clear acrylic. Maybe it will work. To be honest, another substitute that is about half the price is Acrylic Floor Finish at most any dollar store (Dollar General or Family Dollar are in my area). Example below.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1401416929.626957.jpg

I find that the real Future seems to flow better with less beading, but the above will work in a pinch (or if you just want to save money).

Last edited:
Hey les, I know this post is a few months old, but I'm curious if you tried it and what your results were. I bought a bottle of the quick shine today while out.

Your timing in posting this thread is absolutely perfect. Tonight, when I get home, I am going to be taking a wack at using Future or acrylic floor finish on my Saki rocket....

That is, if I can figure out how to flatten and reattach the one decal that was accidently lifted right off the wing this morning!

I found we had a bottle of the future floor polish/acrylic with the blue nozzle, but the damn thing is stuck! So I just unscrewed the cap, poured a little into the cap from a bottle of Pepsi we were about to throw out, and then dipped a foam brush into it. I stroked it onto every surface, except for the new decals that I had just applied (including the one with left-over glue from the eyeballs) and set it aside to dry. I might do a second coat over the decals again tomorrow, especially the two or three left over.

Your timing in posting this thread is absolutely perfect. Tonight, when I get home, I am going to be taking a wack at using Future or acrylic floor finish on my Saki rocket....

That is, if I can figure out how to flatten and reattach the one decal that was accidently lifted right off the wing this morning!

Kirk G:
Are you working on a Rocket or a rocket Glider? You have referred a couple times to a decal that has lifted off the "WING". If Your Saki is a rocket it has Fins that do not provide or introduce Lift to the vehicle, If the model is a Glider or airplane then it will have Wings that have an airfoiled profile that produce lift to help keep the vehicle in the air. Wings and Fins are Not interchangeable terms.
Hope this helps

Kirk G:
Are you working on a Rocket or a rocket Glider? You have referred a couple times to a decal that has lifted off the "WING". If Your Saki is a rocket it has Fins that do not provide or introduce Lift to the vehicle, If the model is a Glider or airplane then it will have Wings that have an airfoiled profile that produce lift to help keep the vehicle in the air. Wings and Fins are Not interchangeable terms.
Hope this helps

As the Saki is a parody of a very real piloted bomb (with wings), I think that describing the fin as a wing is a fair way to attempt to identify which one of the fins lost its decal without including a photograph.

21WuHGYZ4vL.jpg

I just wish that my Aunt would scan the image of my Grandfather standing with his buddies around a captured baka bomb on one of the islands that he fought on in WWII.

Last edited:
Walmart #: 001330910

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pledge-Floor-Care-27-fl-oz/15136693#about

About this item

Keep your floor clean and smooth with Pledge Floor Finish with Future Shine. For a transparent, lasting shine, Pledge Finish, 27 fl oz does the job with ease. Even with heavy traffic and daily wear and tear, Pledge Future Shine stays on, working well with virtually all types of flooring, from vinyl to linoleum, ceramic, stone and tile. Pledge Future Shine has no wax and is enhanced with acrylic protection.

ACE and wallyworld are the only places that I have been able to find it. I hate the lines at wallyworld and ACE usually marks it up 100%.

Oh my...new Shimmer was from the very first season of SNL, as I recall. It was immortalized on their comedy LP too!

Oh, I appear to have missed Micromeister's comment about the difference between a wing and a fin.

I stand corrected. As K'Tesh commented, I thought it pretty clear that the decal that pulled off was the red sun dot which looks like it's on a "Wing", but it is not bevelled, not airfoiled, and so technically is probably a "fin".

As the Saki is decorated to look like it flies horizontal, I think it's only natural to describe this as a "wing"... even though it is not.

This is a goonie rocket. I have not flown it yet.
I have seen only one fly before.
I'll let you know how it goes.

About to finish a couple of rockets and thought I'd try this method of clear coating them. I've always used clear rattle can paint but that's becoming so problematic with all the changes. I discovered several of these threads and went about trying to find the Pledge/Future but wasn't sure what was what. I found this at Menards so I picked it up. https://www.pledge.com/en-US/Products/Pages/default.aspx

It does say in the description that is is acrylic. Hopefully this is the right stuff to use, it seems to be the only product they sell that is a finish and not also a cleaner.

Mike

20150601_190933.jpg

About to finish a couple of rockets and thought I'd try this method of clear coating them. I've always used clear rattle can paint but that's becoming so problematic with all the changes. I discovered several of these threads and went about trying to find the Pledge/Future but wasn't sure what was what. I found this at Menards so I picked it up. https://www.pledge.com/en-US/Products/Pages/default.aspx

It does say in the description that is is acrylic. Hopefully this is the right stuff to use, it seems to be the only product they sell that is a finish and not also a cleaner.

Mike

That's the right stuff Mike.

That's the right stuff Mike.
Thanks for the reply. I thought it was the correct stuff from what I read. I've got a Semroc Cherokee D and Trident that I'm painting and hoping to finish them in time for a launch this weekend. And I'll have a bunch more to do in the coming month.

Mike

Back