What a great launch!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threemorewishes

Reaction score
Kudos to the MARS gang.
It was a very well run launch on a very nice field.
Thanks and see you all next year.
Greg

+3

Great weekend. The field conditions were not favorable Saturday morning, but got better as the weekend progressed.

I think the field conditions kept people away on Sunday and Monday.

The parachute of my WAC Corporal landed in a water puddle, but I let it air out on Sunday in the sun. Should be okay.

This was definitely a weekend to go high... and I know several people did.

I was there Saturday & Sunday. Had a great time, flew high and got huge blisters from my rubber boots retrieving my rockets. Great job MARS!:clap:

I was there Saturday. Never experienced a wet launch like that and I didn't get my rental car stuck. Was a lot of fun. Thanks MARS for the hospitality!

We always advocate bringing 'mud boots' ( you may have seen the fashion statement in full swing this weekend! ) to a MARS launch because if the grass is high, it holds morning dew very well... Then there is this past weekend...

Thanks for the comments on the WAC Corporal. Wish it wouldn't have tangled up on recovery, but the only damage was some cracked paint. I'll have to consider a drogue. Did you by chance get pics?

Padcam video of the drag race to 8k and the wac corporal. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNU3kXnSL_g

When we set the field up Friday morning it was no where near as wet as it turned out to be on Saturday with the standing water in certain areas of the field!
That was the case up until about 1pm that afternoon when we were just finishing setup when the HEAVY rains started.
We were surprised when we came back to the field early Saturday am.
It has been a unusually wet spring (and very wet May) this year, which is why the grass hadn't been mowed. This was the earliest in the season for NYPOWER, as the intent was to hold it before the soy and corn grew too tall.
One problem addressed, one new one encountered. Maybe a little later in the spring/early summer might have been a better choice in retrospect.
One advantage was the ground was soft, so partially deployed recovery systems caused less damage than they otherwise may have. :wink:

Back