Micro Geo-Sat LV...Something in the works.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Helping out another BAR recently with his quest to produce a clone of the Styrene plastic parts for the Old Estes Geo-Sat LV #1977. It came to me that I have overlooked this very interesting model in my Downscale Micro Collection. My Still flying 3-C6 Clustered standard model gave me all the needed dimensions and having saved the Instructions, FS Fin Pattern, Scanned decal sheet and bag Panel from back in 1989 gave me everything needed to look at doing an approximate 3X downscale which will make the Satellite & Nosecone BT-5 (.544" dia) with the Core Airframe T4 (.448") and the Twin Boosters T3 (.375"). Ho Heck Yes It'll be a 3-MMX-II Cluster.

Looking this weekend to see what clear Polyethylene Payload section material I have but got side tracked repairing the Back Stairs.

Will Update as I get further into this project as it will involve just a little wood carving on parts of the Satellite payload.
Should be a fun downscale.

Working on the Payload bay Satellite, Transition & Nosecone turning. Decided to work with Basswood for these base parts. After I get the Transition, Payload nozzle & Main Nosecone turned I'll leave a central "core" dowel of wood between the Satellite nozzle and forward "pin". This will give me a base on which to construct the boxed .020" Styrene features of the Satellite.
Found an almost perfect BT-5 size Clear Polyethylene mailing tube for the clear section. Once I get some photos taken I'll give the dimensions of the various pieces and parts.
Still have to turn the Booster Nosecones and nozzles these will be later in the build as this weekend is going to be my Grandsons High School Graduation so we'll be very little time for Hobby stuff but a great time is expected to be had by all:)

Finished turning the 3part Satellite, Nose and Transition pieces last night. Actually came out a little better then I was expecting. Still need to turn the T3 Booster nozzles and Nose cones but will not have any time to work on this model over the weekend. Grandson Graduation and Party will keep Grandma better 2/3rds and I busy LOL!
Should be a great weekend anyway.
Did get around to taking a couple photos before putting everything away last night. Have the T4 and T3 body tubes cut to size. Test fitting the Clear Polyethylene Satellite cover with Transition and BT-5 Nosecone look really good together. If I get a chance this evening before things start getting crazy I'll try to add the photos to this post.

Edit: Photos attached.

MM 4xxuc01a_Geo-Sat Dwg & Mainbody_06-12-14.JPG

MM 4xxuc01b_T5-T4 Geo-Sat Fwd Payload&NC_06-12-14.JPG

Last edited:
Got back late Saturday night after a simply perfect day with the family at Kyle's Senior High Graduation & Party.

As it turned out Sunday being Father's Day. I had a change to spend a couple hours in the Rocket Dungeon turning a couple sets of T3 Basswood Booster Nosecones & nozzles. Turning them as a unit was probably not the best idea but did help ensure the Shoulders were both the correct ID. I think I screwed up two or three early attempts trying to get the NC tip top close before cutting the Nozzle bevel and interior cup which help center the drilling operation to pass our T2+(.281") OD motor tubes.
One other construction note I should pass long to any of you who decide to try turning your own pieces for this model. Be Very sure to keep the "throat" end of the Booster nozzles the Same OD as the shoulders (.349"). Being the wise guy I am I decided while doing the turning that I wanted to make these nozzles have a bit more angle. In doing so took another couple thousandth which as it turned out is Just enough to cause the Nozzle throat to separate for the stop ring during final file fitting to the motor tube. After a lot and I mean a lot of extremely delicate fussing with that first nozzle I did manage to get it seated on the motor tube and CA'ed in place.
I'm still messing around with ideas on how to vent the booster motor burn thru gases. I'd really prefer to NOT eject both booster casings during flight as my Standard size Geo-Sat HV cluster does. (PS: Save those empty motor casings...they make GREAT 3/16" wide Cut motor blocks).

In the next day or two I should have the other two motor mounts completed and in place. I'll add a few photos of the booster turnings, ejection heat and fire internal coating, and installation at that time. Hope to start building the .010" styrene Satellite shortly also. Once that minor operation is complete the rest of the model construction as they say should be almost automatic.

Hey John- this is looking really great, can't wait to see the final product! I'm curious about how you'll build the satellite- can you please take lots of "in process" pictures?

Cheers!

Dave

Hey John- this is looking really great, can't wait to see the final product! I'm curious about how you'll build the satellite- can you please take lots of "in process" pictures?

Cheers!

Dave

I'll try Dave but it may be difficult to see much difference from one to another as I'll be cutting, scoring, folding and Solvent Welding various pieces of .010" white styrene that will fit around the Basswood core.
We have a contest scheduled for this weekend so I doubt There will be much work on this part of the project until sometime next week. May have some of the other assembly photos to post a bit later this week.

A few Photos of the twin boosters for the Geo-Sat and finished up all three motor mounts.
the Main Motor mount features a 49strand 30lb stainless steel Shockline Anchor crimped below the forward MMT centering ring with 30" of 70lb braided Kevlar hitched to the small crimped eye in the forward end of the 4" long Anchor. This option ensure the Kevlar will likely out last the entire model. Something New to this Micro will be a permanent Teflon Pom-pom wadding as I think I'm going to go with an 8" Silver Mylar chute for recovery.

Still have not found an elegant way to vent the Booster motor gases so I'm thinking now of cutting down the motor tube extending beyond the Turned bells to allow simple easy friction fitting for the booster motors and just let them eject at burn thru. I've already coated the inside if each booster tube with a light coat of epoxy and added two layers of Stainless Steel tape to the underside of both booster nosecones.
That's will be about all I can get accomplished until early next week. with ECRM-41 coming up Saturday I'll simply have no time to devote to anything else. If the Scattered Rains Hold off it should be a fairly nice flying weekend for a change. Hope to fly 5 out of 6 events at the annual East Coast Regional. Sadly all the events save one will be A impulse for PD,SD,HD & RG but I may be able to slip in a Micro to fly Open Spot landing;)

MM 4xxuc02a_Geo-Sat Booster Turnings_06-15-14.jpg

MM 4xxuc02b_Geo-Sat Booster Tubes&Turnings_06-15-14.jpg

MM 4xxuc03a_Booster Motor Mounts & turnings_06-16-14.jpg

MM 4xxuc03b_Boosters & Motor Mounts_06-16-14.jpg

Last edited:
Over the weekend had some time to work on parts for the Geo-Sat Downscaled .010" Styrene fabricated Satellite. I found that getting the satellite to fit the slightly thicker walled Clear cover tube I found required the unit to be reduced about 2%. Hopefully it will not be noticeable in the finished product:)

OBTW those looking for a BT-5 size clear payload tube McMaster-Carr #2044T42 is about as close as we'll come with an ID of .530" OD of .574" and a .022" wall. these Clear Polyethylene Mailing tubes come in 48" lengths.

My Plan it to drill the Basswood lower transition to accept a 2-56 Stainless nut and threaded rod with a second nut in the top tapered portion at the very top of the satellite. If this works out OK the entire satellite assembly will be removable leaving the 2-56 Rod as a micro altimeter sled mount or unscrew the rod for an Open clear payload bay.
Tried to remember to take close-up photos of the Satellite construction as it is progressing. below are the basic shapes and how they are made. In the next few days I'll be adding surface features show on the full size unit. Sand the rough surfaces with 320 grit and epoxy mount the satellite to the now two piece turned basswood core with mounting hardware. Sure it would be easier to just mount the Satellite and be done with it but that wouldn't give me any payload options and I REALLY want to fly this Clustered Micro with an Altimeter at least once:)

MM 405uc04a_working Styrene Satellite_06-26-14.JPG

MM 405uc04b_base Sat layout_06-26-14.JPG

MM 405uc04c_layout upper Sat_06-28-14.JPG

MM 405uc04d_Base & Upper bodies_06-28-14.jpg

MM 405uc04e_Base & Upper Sat pieces_06-28-14.jpg

MM 405uc04f_Body parts stacked_06-29-14.jpg

MM 405uc04g_Bulkhead Discs & Parts_06-29-14.jpg

MM 405uc04h_Bulkheads fixed & Trimed_06-29-14.jpg

Last edited:
learning a lot from this! Wonderful craftsmanship! what kind of lathe do you use/recommend? I have decided i must get one to do this hobby properly...

learning a lot from this! Wonderful craftsmanship! what kind of lathe do you use/recommend? I have decided i must get one to do this hobby properly...

Actually it really depends on what material and Size you intend to turn. If we were just doing Micro turnings I'd recommend a Dremel Micro Lathe but I believe that particular machine has been discontinued:(

To turn most Micro & Model rocket size transitions and Nosecones in just about any wood including Balsa (somewhat hard to turn in small diameters) I highly recommend a Jarmac Mini Lathe. The Jarmac will handle turnings up to 4" in diameter and about 11" long. This table top lathe gets the most use of the three different size wood turning lathes I own. If your going to be getting into really large diameter Wood, Foam or other soft material I've been very happy with the Central Machine 12" x 40" I purchased from Harbor Freight a decade ago. For metals one really has to have a precision mini lathe (on the expensive side).

For the money I'd really recommend the Jarmac Mini Lathe. When I purchased mine in 2004 it was 130.00. I've used the heck out of it and she still purrs like a kitten. Last weekend I used it turning Delrin Vacuum forming mandrels between turning Bass and Balsa Transitions and Nose cones. Once you get yourself set up having the ability to fashion any size cone or transition you need is a real blessing.

2a-sm_Jarmac Mini Lathe_4in x 11in max_01-04-04.jpg

2b-sm_Jarmac Mini Lathe_Close belt drive_01-04-04.jpg

1a-sm_Dremel Micro Lathe_2in x 6in max lathe_01-04-04.jpg

yeah that jarmac looks to be about the perfect size! i will look into one of them. THANKS! mostly just need it for balsa and bass. maybe the occasional foam nose cone.

Build Update: Sorry No photos with this post...still in the camera.

As of last evening I am very pleased to announce the 3X downscale Geo-Sat HV satellite and mountings are in and functional. I just love it when a Plan comes together LOL!!!
With the slight misalignment while drilling the core retainer hole... It worked! I may simply enlarge the forward end of this hole to allow the top retainer to be centered a bit better but it works just fine as is.
Have to say I was a bit skeptical as I began the Drill Press drilling process starting with a 1/16" bit and increasing to 3/32" through the core & nozzle shaft. Compounding the difficulty with counter sinking two 2-56 Stainless Steel Hex nuts in the lower Payload Transition and tiny Satellite Cap with a 3/16" bit and hand mounted 1/8" mill end in my dremel. Both Hex nuts are set flush with the basswood epoxied in place. Our sled/core 2-56 Allthread rod is about 1.75" long allowing about 1/2" to thread down into the transition. Both Satellite Cap and Rod are removable which should give all the payload options I was looking for:)
While I was at it I found two tiny round plastic beads just about the right size for the satellite fuel cell domes. Sanded them down to a dome and CA'ed to our satellite body. Just a few more minor surface details remain but after fitting the styrene satellite body over and epoxied to the Basswood core slid on the center rod in the base transition and installed in the clear payload tube cover & NC... we are for sure in business:) I hope to add a few pictures to this post or another in the next day or so. I also printed a half sheet (4 sets ) of waterslide decal for this bird. They are waiting for a second coat of UV clear to be complete.

Perhaps if the Club Picnic/Launch goes well over the 4th 3 day weekend I'll have time to add the boosters and fins? We're getting close guys:)

MM 405uc05a_MicroSaw seperating Sat Core & Cap_07-02-14_.jpg

MM 405uc05b_Sat Body Cover fitting & Core_07-02-14.jpg

MM 405uc05c_Drilling Satellite shaft_07-02-14.jpg

MM 405uc06a_Drilling Transition_07-02-14.jpg

MM 405uc06b_Test 2-56 Rod with Sat Core_07-02-14.jpg

MM 405uc06c_install 2-56 St-Stl Nut in Transition_07-02-14.JPG

MM 405uc06d_2-56 Hex Nut & Sat Cap_07-02-14.JPG

MM 405uc06e_install 2-56 nut in Sat Cap_07-02-14_.JPG

MM 405uc07_2-56 St.Stl Nut epoxy in_07-02-14.JPG

MM 405uc08a_Beads Sanded into Sat Domes_07-02-14.JPG

Last edited:
What a great 4th of July! got all the day's prep work done early in the morning which gave me all afternoon & evening to work on and complete the construction phase of our 3x downscale Geo-Sat HV.
While watching the National Mall 4th TV special and the fireworks I cropped and labled the days photos showing the last couple steps to making the HEAVY little model a reality. Good thing shes a 3 motor cluster! after adding the booster pods, fins and fillets she tips the scale at 15.8g Primer, Paints and decals will add at least another 3.5g so she's gonna be a little piggy LOL!
The plan is to fly this model with an 8" mylar chute. It would still work on a streamer but I want to make this downscale as close to the full size as I can.

Finishing for this model will take some time. will update as we go.

MM 405uc08b_Satellite in Cover on T4 body_07-02-14.JPG

MM 405uc09_Printed waterslide Decals Coated_07-02-14.JPG

MM 405uc10_Micro LL on Standoffs_07-03-14.jpg

MM 405uc11a_Boosters on Standoffs & Lugs_07-03-14.jpg

MM 405uc11b_model with Booster& Payload_07-03-14.jpg

MM 405uc12a_Fin Layout on .032in Bass_07-04-14.JPG

MM 405uc12d_4- Measured Basswood Fins_07-04-14.jpg

MM 405uc12e_Rounded Lead&Trailing Edges_07-04-14.JPG

MM 405uc12f_1st Fin applied_07-04-14.jpg

Construction complete photo.

Thought I'd also upload page-1 of the plan used to produce the model. Page-2 & 3 are currently the 4 view resized Satellite and 4 set Half page decals. I'll likely combine these two pages into a single second page before uploading it to the Files section of the MicroMacRockets Yahoo group.

Will add photos as the priming and finishing progress.

MM 405uc13_Construction Complete_07-04-14.jpg

View attachment MM 405c1_Geo-Sat Dwg_05-14.pdf

i just love that you took the time to put all thread through the middle of the sat. And i bet the finishing process on this Lil fella is going to be a blast! i am really enjoying this build!

Looks terrific- with no indicator to prove otherwise, this looks like the authentic article! Can't wait to see the finished product!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

We got a lot done over the weekend!
Spent what seemed like a week sanding the primered parts. took everything apart set them up a shot the lot Gloss White. Last evening I sprayed the Transition base Gold and the Satellite, Satellite top nut and Nose-Cone Rustoleum Metallic Silver and Metallic Gold.

Still have a bunch of Gold, and Gloss Black Hand Brush painting of details on the Booster nozzles, Satellite, Transition and Nose-Cone to do either tonight or over the next day or two.

Here are the latest Photos

MM 405uc14_Geo-Sat & Conestoga primed Parts Sanded_07-12-14.jpg

MM 405uc15a_Geo-Sat Body BaseCoat White_07-12-14.JPG

MM 405uc15b_Transition&Satellite basecoated_07-13-14.JPG

MM 405uc15c_Transition&Satellite Basecoat Gold&Silver_07-13-14.JPG

Over the weekend had some time to work on parts for the Geo-Sat Downscaled .010" Styrene fabricated Satellite. I found that getting the satellite to fit the slightly thicker walled Clear cover tube I found required the unit to be reduced about 2%. Hopefully it will not be noticeable in the finished product:)

OBTW those looking for a BT-5 size clear payload tube McMaster-Carr #2044T42 is about as close as we'll come with an ID of .530" OD of .574" and a .022" wall. these Clear Polyethylene Mailing tubes come in 48" lengths.

My Plan it to drill the Basswood lower transition to accept a 2-56 Stainless nut and threaded rod with a second nut in the top tapered portion at the very top of the satellite. If this works out OK the entire satellite assembly will be removable leaving the 2-56 Rod as a micro altimeter sled mount or unscrew the rod for an Open clear payload bay.
Tried to remember to take close-up photos of the Satellite construction as it is progressing. below are the basic shapes and how they are made. In the next few days I'll be adding surface features show on the full size unit. Sand the rough surfaces with 320 grit and epoxy mount the satellite to the now two piece turned basswood core with mounting hardware. Sure it would be easier to just mount the Satellite and be done with it but that wouldn't give me any payload options and I REALLY want to fly this Clustered Micro with an Altimeter at least once:)

Hey John,,

Been watching your progress with great interest and have a ?.

Where did you get the original drawing/diagram shown in your post of the satellite payload you are using to downsize? Also do you have the original dimensions of the payload?

I would like to do what you are but in the original size. I think I have most of the parts to build one.

Thanks
Ed

I have both a complete working Clustered Estes #1977 Geo-Sat HV model for the 80's, the complete instructions sheets (which is where the 4view satellite drawing came from) and a complete set of the styrene plastic parts for another full size kit that was kit bashed into something else as some point.
I'm fairly sure Jimz site has the old Estes #1977 plans available for download in pdf format.

Over in the LPR forum, Soopirv has a thread going on having the original Styrene parts reproduced by 3-D printing. I offered to scan the parts I had as well as allow the 3-D printer guy to borrow the full size parts to do his set-up work. So far that's as far as the project has gone.
I got to thinking about the model as it is one of my favorite currently flying LPR clusters and decided to do the 3X downscale.

View attachment MM 405c1_Geo-Sat Dwg_05-14.pdf

Z_Geo-Sat HV est1977_4view Satellite-b_06-20-14.jpg

021-sm_Geo-Sat HLV 3C_03-21-89.jpg

Geo-Sat LV Plastic Parts Scan-a_05-21-14.jpg

Last edited:
I have both a complete working Clustered Estes #1977 Geo-Sat HV model for the 80's, the complete instructions sheets (which is where the 4view satellite drawing came from) and a complete set of the styrene plastic parts for another full size kit that was kit bashed into something else as some point.
I'm fairly sure Jimz site has the old Estes #1977 plans available for download in pdf format.

Over in the LPR forum, Soopirv has a thread going on having the original Styrene parts reproduced my 3-D printing. I offered to scan the parts I had as well as allow the 3-D printer guy to borrow the full size parts to do his set-up work. So far that's as far as the project has gone.
I got to thinking about the model as it is one of my favorite currently flying LPR clusters and decided to do the 3X downscale.

Hi Guys- sorry for the radio-silence on this over the last few weeks, but I haven't been able to focus much on this. For anyone who is interested though, it sounds as if a set of parts (if we can make this work) will run about $40. To be clear, I'm not selling them, I'm just a match-maker (setting up the guy with the printer with the guy with the parts). The original thread mentioned by John above is here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?65934-GeoSat-LV-clone-opportunity-and-other-custom-recreations
Your micro creation is coming along great!

Over in the LPR forum, Soopirv has a thread going on having the original Styrene parts reproduced my 3-D printing. I offered to scan the parts I had as well as allow the 3-D printer guy to borrow the full size parts to do his set-up work. So far that's as far as the project has gone.

Thanks John... exactly what I was looking for. I'm thinking I could make the Sat out of styrene sheets similar to what your doing but in full scale.

Found this pdf at Jimz's site. https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/est1977.pdf

I will also keep and eye out on Soopirv's thread for any development.

Ed

Decaled the model last night. Man those little bitty fin Letter & roman numerals were a bear:)

Took a quick pic to show off the freshly applied decals.

She still has a coat of Pledge w/ future to receive and a 8 or 10" mylar chute with Teflon Pom-pom permanent wadding to be considered finished but she is very close.

After these last finishing touches are applied I'll get her finished mass and other vital stats next to a standard Mosquito and post it here, Hopefully before Saturdays Club sport launch. with any luck at all I might even have a or some flight pics by Monday?

Added a photo of my 1989 Standard #1377 Geo-Sat HV just for fun.
This has been a very enjoyable and slightly challenging build.

Edit: Model complete! Wasn't as heavy as expected so went with Teflon Streamer/Wadding rather when Chute requiring wadding.
Didn't get the model downstairs to take a pic with mosquitos but updated the existing finished photo with all the model stats.

MM 405uc16a_Geo-Sat HV Decaled_07-16-14.jpg

MM 405uc16b_Geo-Sat HV Complete_07-18-14.jpg

Attachments

• 021a-sm_Geo-Sat HLV 3C_03-21-89.jpg
    021a-sm_Geo-Sat HLV 3C_03-21-89.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
WOW John. That's great! I'm not surprised though as I have watched over the years many of your creations.
Working small like that is getting harder and harder for me (I also have "N" scale trains.) Think I'll stick with the bigger/regular sizes or even upscales.

You are defiantly the Micro King.
hail.gif

Ed

WOW John. That's great! I'm not surprised though as I have watched over the years many of your creations.
Working small like that is getting harder and harder for me (I also have "N" scale trains.) Think I'll stick with the bigger/regular sizes or even upscales.

hail.gif

LOL!! Oh Now that is sort of funny. Thanks much for the Kudo's.
I "HAD" HO and N gauge trains until about 10years ago, when a friend introduced me to the world of Z gauge trains. Now they are the other "hobby".

Concerning getting older and finding it harder to work with smaller things: I've found that working with smaller stuff really doesn't take all the much more then "Standard" size, you just add a few helper tools...Loops, magnifier, small part holders etc. Sure hope you all will keep on trying micro's. Actually the Geo-Sat Hv is on the Large side for a micro:)

Have to say it really was a lot of fun figuring out how to construct the micro Satellite. That experience alone has given raise to a couple other Potential micro Downscales to come.

hail.gif

LOL!! Oh Now that is sort of funny. Thanks much for the Kudo's.
I "HAD" HO and N gauge trains until about 10years ago, when a friend introduced me to the world of Z gauge trains. Now they are the other "hobby".

Concerning getting older and finding it harder to work with smaller things: I've found that working with smaller stuff really doesn't take all the much more then "Standard" size, you just add a few helper tools...Loops, magnifier, small part holders etc. Sure hope you all will keep on trying micro's. Actually the Geo-Sat Hv is on the Large side for a micro:)

Have to say it really was a lot of fun figuring out how to construct the micro Satellite. That experience alone has given raise to a couple other Potential micro Downscales to come.

"Z":surprised:

Your work on the sat is what inspired me to do the same as I too like creating/building... it's always the best part.. well except for flying them.

Flight was a complete Success!
Guy's this little model took off like a scalded Goose Teleporting the model to an estimated 120-140 feet. Ejected the 3/8" x 18" Red Telfon PTFE tape streamer recovering within 40 feet of the launcher. Missed the Ignition pic with just smoke trail, but managed to get a very poor photo of the Geo-Sat HV at about 100-120feet. Boost was straight as an arrow. many of the folks watching mentioned how super quick it was off the pad with no roll at all. That I think is the worst part of trying to take photos of micro models....I rarely get to see much of the powered flight.

Got the Stat's static pic with the swarm of Mosquitos.
This Cover Shot will be added to the Plans page as soon as I combine the 4 sheets into 3. the Plan will be page #1, the Decal and Satellite 4-view on #2 and the decal placement sheet will be #3. Hopefully I'll get the Geo-Sat HV Tri-Motor 3X down-Scale posted to the MicroMaxRockets Yahoo group files section a bit later this week.

One thing I think should be mentioned here. When I fly clustered motors over two regardless of impulse I ALWAYS use a relay Ignition system with a 7amp/hr Gel-Cell at the Pad to ensure plenty of Amps are delivered to the igniters super fast. I also ALWAYS use pyrogen tipped igniters. Quests micro bare Nichrome Q2's work really well when hand dipped in Nitrocellulose Lacquer mixed with powered Pyrodex. Single dip is all that is needed. these tipped igniters are installed using the old FP wadding ball and 1/4" masking tape method from the 60-70's. Stuffing the tiny wadding ball between the igniter leads with the tips of needle point tweezers or a large needle taking care not to damage the nozzle.
If you want to make your own igniters starting from scratch the only other thing needed it 30ga (.0100" dia.) Nichrome wire.
Hope this stuff Helps.

Plans for a very inexpensive "Range Box Relay" can be found in the library section of www.narhams.org in the Tech-Tip files #012.

MM 405a1_MM Geo-Sat HV Tri-Motor Cluster 3X DownScale_07-18-14.jpg

MM 405Lp01a_Clustered 3X Geo-Sat HV on Pad 1stFlt_07-19-14.jpg

MM 405Lp01b_Clustered Geo-Sat HV 120ft 1st Flt_07-19-14.jpg

MM 405Lp01c_Clustered Geo-Sat HV after Recovery 1St Flt_07-19-14.JPG

Range Box Relay-c1_5pic photos. dwg & parts_06-23-10.jpg

MM Igniters-a3-sm_MM igniters &Q2-type a&b_00-06.jpg

MM Q2 pyrogen tipped Igniters-h3_09-18-09.JPG

Last edited:
Fantastic John and congrats on the highly successful maiden.

I was able to acquire a full size OOP kit for less than $40. The body tubes are somewhat crushed but that's an easy fix. All the other parts are there and in perfect shape except for the motor hook which again is no problem. I'm a happy camper now but I think I will also try and scratch build another which will be easier now that I have all the original parts in front of me.

Ed

beautiful work! not sure how i missed the updates i was subscribed but didnt get an email and i am just blown away at how amazing it looks! So sorry i missed seeing it fly. family emergencies kept me from flying.

Three years later:
Still have only flown this model once. Decided for ECRM-44 (East Coast Regional Meet) that I'd enter the Geo-Sat LV downscale cluster in "Classic Model" craftsmanship competition.
"Classic Model" means the entry has to have been a model rocket kit available on or before 1990. and be documented to show the model as it was portrayed in the kit or catalog.
As this 2.93 down-scale is in perfect condition I decided to make a Styrofoam protective case and create a documentation packet to go along with it. The model is to be Static Judged from 3 feet away with closer craftsmanship inspection.
ECRM-44 will be flown June 17/18 2017 in Mt. Airy, Md. Classic Model turn in is by 12:00noon on the 17th for static judging and will be flown on Sunday June 18th.
I'm hoping the weather gives us a break on Sunday the 18th as Saturday doesn't look like anyone will get much flown due to rain and thunder storms. As least on Sunday it looks like we'll have a short window between about 9:30am and 1:00pm where there is only a slight chance of rain. We'll see if anything gets flown at this "Early Cold & Rainy Meet" LOL!
A couple photos of the Geo-Sat LV Package just for fun

MM 405Lp02a1_Classic Model package(Ecrm-44)_06-18-17.JPG

MM 405Lp02a2_Inside Classic Model Pk(Ecrm-44)_06-18-17.JPG

Back