24MM Avbay in coupler for 29MM rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warnerr

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Building small this time: Ordered a 29mm, carbon fiber, minimum diameter rocket kit from Wildman. Thought I would see just how much weight I could lose and how much I could simplify my original machined aluminum integrated and sealed av-bay design. (see my profiles album)
Ordered a 24mm Featherweight Av-bay kit for the magnetic switch and compact size. Tossed the end disk but am using everything included. The objective is to have two new ends with O ring seals with integrated charge wells. I chose plastic this time- it machines well and doesn't conduct power as I plan to use original studs as Featherweight AV Bay Kit was designed. First order of business- chucked a hunk into lath and trued it to desired diameter. Turned down charge well area and added groove for O ring. Bored out charge well. Pretty straight forward to here.

attachment.php

Bored hole for pin to hold assembly in coupler and milled a slot for cord - slots offset.

Two holes are drilled through each end so a kevlar loop can be passed through.
attachment.php
[/IMG]

Here is one end made and a comparison to a battery- its is small!
attachment.php

Both ends in place:
attachment.php

Makes that Quarter look large!

Looking good !

Wow, you could get some real altitude even with our waiverless 125g/3.3lb limit launches - you could rock an Aerotech H135W DMS or a CTI 220H160-14A Skidmark and still stay under the limit.

Or come with us to Lucerne and take it to the limit . . .

Kenny

That sounds great Ken- I feel the need to get HIGH! Ha HA ! Thanks for the comments guys. This has been a real challenge trying to simplify and lose that weight. The AV Bay electronics from featherweight are amazing! I felt a need to take it to the next level. Will post a bit more. I have second loop installed now- tied and not sewn for moment. These Book Binding Rivets are the coolest trick- this is how I am fastening the assembly into place through the rocket. They are SOO useful! A million uses for them in rockets!
alum-screwposts.jpg

Looking good!
How are you sealing the charge well? Also I don't see the hole for the e-match.

wired from two of the studs and inserting match into open face. Featherweights use of the studs as electrical carriers was a cool idea! I add BP wadding to fill, electrical tape wrapped as cap.

Epoxied a rod offset into nose cone, foamed, and inserted tracker to nose cone. Had to bore inside to create room for tracker and add 3/4 inch length. One Binding Rivet holds Av Bay/Coupler/Upper together.
attachment.php

Proof tested av bay with one gram BP. Passed but revealed an unexpected problem- a spot (upper left corner of photo) was burned in the Kevlar harness! I suspect this may be a reaction from some expanding foam residues that got on the lines. Your thoughts?
attachment.php

Here is the nosecone tracker as requested.
attachment.php

The trick was extending tube, boring out, and losing the tracker plastic cover.

Epoxied all-thread into tip leaning it against side. Wrapped harness around all-thread and passed it through lid. Lid has stops to keep it centered. Will need to secure that nut with adhesive or something before launch to prevent loosening.
attachment.php

Back