iam so excited

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket_Man

Reaction score
i wanted to fly my E power paper rockets at the club meet last saturday but the wind wouldnt co-operate. so this saturday the club is having a hi power launch at a big field that iam going to go to. at first i thought i would be laughed at for having estes mid-power at a high power launch but now i dont care if they laugh or not.

iam going to enjoy the 30 mile drive, enjoy watching someones hi-power birds fly, enjoy meeting others, and enjoy launching my own rockets. it has been about 6 months or more since my last flights and i really am ready to have some fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :handshake: :smile:

You will NOT be laughed at for having an estes mid power at a high power launch. They/We have far more things going on to laugh at. :)

Seriously, take it, talk to the people, fly it (and other rockets), hang out, have fun. I see everything from Micro-Max through N flown at my HPR launch. Some of the best are the low and mid power rockets coz we can SEE them....

There is only ONE problem with attending an HPR launch. MOTOR ENVY!!!

Welcome to HPR... you are taking your first step right now! :):):)

S-1

Last edited:
Can you just not hide it?
Are you about to lose control, and do you think you like it?

s6

at first i thought i would be laughed at for having estes mid-power at a high power launch but now i dont care if they laugh or not.

I know what you mean. I had the same thoughts many years ago, but the people are all so friendly and helpful. I am glad though, that I had a few years of rocket tinkering before I saw all the power that could be used. I had the basics down. Just don't forget to get the basics mastered before you get addicted to bigger and better.

Nah, all rocket flights are cool. Talk to the fliers as one the things we enjoy is showing off our projects. Launch rockets, chase rockets, watch rockets, talk rockets.

i wanted to fly my E power paper rockets at the club meet last saturday but the wind wouldnt co-operate. so this saturday the club is having a hi power launch at a big field that iam going to go to. at first i thought i would be laughed at for having estes mid-power at a high power launch but now i dont care if they laugh or not.

iam going to enjoy the 30 mile drive, enjoy watching someones hi-power birds fly, enjoy meeting others, and enjoy launching my own rockets. it has been about 6 months or more since my last flights and i really am ready to have some fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :handshake: :smile:

Are you talking about the DARS launch in Gunter this Sat?
Don't worry a bit about flying mid power. If you go to this launch, you will find the majority of the flights are mid power.
I fly HPR, but most of my flights this weekend will be MPR, including my Estes Leviathon on F motors.

If Gunter is the place you are going, there is all sorts of room for recovery, even with wind. Great field for flying!

JW

s6

Tomorrow he is gonna make it happen
That day he'll put all other things aside
Give in this time and launch him some rockets
He's goin' for the pleasures of the flight

Actually you will find the small rockets welcome if for nothing but time fillers. I bet you will find a low power line as well as high power. We launch the small stuff as the high power rockets are being readied with many flyers doing both during the day. There's no attitude of "this is a high power launch, go away." It just doesn't happen like that except for Experimental launches.

Go, enjoy, launch the little ones and watch the big ones. If your like most you will soon be flying the big ones, too :)

Little adendum; I don't know what song you guys are refering to but I got this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpnmzFIf21c

:)

Last edited:

Worry not - even the most dedicated HPR folks I know love low power, too. If it's a rocket, and it's safe, it's all good.

Go out and have some fun!

-Kevin

yea iam talking about the DARS launch at Gunter this saturday. i didnt mean to sound so excited but all i have doing is work sleep work sleep. its way past time to go out and have fun.

yea iam talking about the DARS launch at Gunter this saturday. i didnt mean to sound so excited but all i have doing is work sleep work sleep. its way past time to go out and have fun.

See you there! Also, don't worry about being looked at weird for flying low and mid power. Last Gunter launch I flew this array of motors: A, C, F, G(3), I. This launch I'm only planning for a D-C 2 stage, an H, and a few A/B/C flights for the kiddos. I too, am so excited.

Last edited:
I recently went to a high power EX launch where I was the only person not flying high power. When I got there, I saw the away pads then the low power pads. They had everything from a 1/8" rod to a 1010 rail for the low and mid powered stuff. Being an EX launch the only requirement was that I was a member of NAR or Tripoli. I flew around 6 flights on F and G motors, and watched some awesome L, M, and N flights. Everyone commented on the nice flights and rockets I had. Remember, everyone there started with the low power stuff.

Ha ha! There's nothing wrong with being excited! Have a great time. Sounds like you are overdue for some fun.

Hi Rocket_Man. I plan to be at Gunter tomorrow. I will fly an H and maybe get an I DMS from BuyRocketMotors, but I will be flying a lot of black powder motors, too. Might as well take advantage of the field and hopefully winds below the gusty ones we have had lately.

You can fly many LPR compared to the time it takes to prep some of the larger models.

If the weather cooperates, it should be a blast.

Chas

Every HPR flyer started with LPR and MPR like everyone else. Laughing at you would be like a neurosurgeon laughing at an intern for not being able to do brain surgery. All in good time!

Exactly the same thing came to my mind when I saw the thread title, the opening music to that old song. I can't get it outta' my head... :)

at first i thought i would be laughed at for having estes mid-power at a high power launch but now i dont care if they laugh or not.
No one is going to laugh. No one will even think about laughing. You will be welcome.

I didn't launch a single high power rocket at any of my club's events this year; too windy. Other people did though; and they had to walk over hill and dale to get 'em back.

once walked by a couple working on prepping a hpr rocket, while carrying a recovered bird...5 minutes later I was walking back to the line and they asked 'what'cha flying, I held up my stealth, to which I heard 'drat, we left ours on the kitchen table'. launches are a mix of flying and a social event.
Rex

I have rail buttons on a baby birtha and the club has a cute short rail I use. I chose to make them laugh :)

8665583937_92b021ccef.jpg

I have rail buttons on a baby birtha and the club has a cute short rail I use. I chose to make them laugh :)
Now build one that looks like an exact replica, but modded for a 29mm motor mount. See how many people catch on before you push the button :D

well i went to the hi power launch on Saturday and had a blast. Thanks to Jack for some good advice!!!!!!! there were many paper rockets out flying and i felt great. i was flying D12's and had difficulty finding my rockets. maybe the field was too big !!!!!! because i couldnt get a good visual on where the rockets landed. i had 3 D12's and 4 E9's, but since i had problems finding my rockets on D power i decided to save the E9's for another day. i guess i will have to go to walmart and get some kind of glasses or something.

but anyways if you have a club launch in your area GO TO IT!!!!!!!!!! go and have some fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!

So glad you had fun and were welcomed with your rockets.

Best bet is to watch your rocket fly and see where it lands. Find an object out in the horizon that is close to where it lands and then use where you stood for the launch to get a line on it. The screeching rape alarm keychains are a worthy investment as well. I incorporate the alarms with GPS and line of sight to get rockets back.

So glad you had fun and were welcomed with your rockets.

Best bet is to watch your rocket fly and see where it lands. Find an object out in the horizon that is close to where it lands and then use where you stood for the launch to get a line on it. The screeching rape alarm keychains are a worthy investment as well. I incorporate the alarms with GPS and line of sight to get rockets back.

I can vouch for the "rape alarms" on each flight I used mine it worked flawlessly. As it turned out, on many I didn't end up needing it, but on the one I really did, it helped so much. It led me right to it, when it otherwise would have taken me quite a while to find. Unfortunately, mine met its end when it was crushed and destroyed in a ballistic "recovery"

Nate

It was a good time! Glad you enjoyed the day, and a D flight certainly wasn't out of place. Besides many of us flying high power were using paper rockets too.

Beerorkid gives good advice on the keychain alarm. The thing that makes that field so great, 2 miles of uninterupted landing zone is what makes it difficult...there are only three landmarks, a tower 4 miles away, a barn 1/2 mile away, and cows (which move and are thereby not very useful).

It was a good time! Glad you enjoyed the day, and a D flight certainly wasn't out of place. Besides many of us flying high power were using paper rockets too.

Beerorkid gives good advice on the keychain alarm. The thing that makes that field so great, 2 miles of uninterupted landing zone is what makes it difficult...there are only three landmarks, a tower 4 miles away, a barn 1/2 mile away, and cows (which move and are thereby not very useful).

Be glad you have those landmarks. We have no real landmarks just sage brush and empty field for miles, on miles, on miles.

ok. I was just curious if you know who made them. Neat design.

Back