GeoSat LV clone opportunity - and other custom recreations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob,,

Here are the measurements you needed for the booster nose and tail cones.
Got them the best I could. I sent the full size pic's to your email.

Hope it's what you need.

BTW.. How does that Thingiverse work?

geosat boosters 2 lengths.jpggeosat boosters diameters.jpg

Ed,

I need some clarifications. Can you please explain the dimensions from the tab portion? I'm not sure what you mean by top and bottom. Also, there are two diameters, 1.253" and 1.252" listed. It appears that one of them may be off just judging from the photo. Can you please confirm? thanks.

Rob

Rob ,,

The tab on the tailcone lines up with the dowel rod that is attached to the outside of the booster tubes. My top and bottom is confusing because in the picture the tailcone is upside down.
So the smaller part I labeled as top is actually the bottom and the part I labeled as bottom is actually the top ,, clear as mud now? Sorry :facepalm:
The dimensions are taken from the tailcone outward to measure the height of the tab for you.

The 1.252 & 1.253 you ask about are correct and are the diameters measured at the point of the arrows.

Sorry for the delay but I forgot to get back to it when I first saw your questions.

Hope this helps and let me know if you anything else.

I also asked a question about what Thingiverse is. Is it a database for those who have 3d printers of is it a place to buy pieces like the satellite you posted?

Ed

Ed,

I'm still mixed up. 0.079 is the thickness of the tab? 0.300 is the distance from the rear of the tail one to the bottom of the tab? The tab is 0.266 high? Please correct me if this is wrong.

Also, it must be an optical illusion because it looks like in the pictures that the diameter of the tail cone and the flange are different but that's why measurements are good because photos can be deceiving.

Thingiverse.com is a place where people post their designs to share with others. I don't think you can buy things off it like you can with shapeways. I'm more interested in sharing my designs freely than I am in trying to sell the parts. Especially because I am relying on the time of people like you to help me with measurements! I don't feel like I could ask for money in that case. Check out the site. There's some cool stuff on there.

Rob

Ed,

I'm still mixed up. 0.079 is the thickness of the tab? 0.300 is the distance from the rear of the tail one to the bottom of the tab? The tab is 0.266 high? Please correct me if this is wrong.

Also, it must be an optical illusion because it looks like in the pictures that the diameter of the tail cone and the flange are different but that's why measurements are good because photos can be deceiving.

Thingiverse.com is a place where people post their designs to share with others. I don't think you can buy things off it like you can with shapeways. I'm more interested in sharing my designs freely than I am in trying to sell the parts. Especially because I am relying on the time of people like you to help me with measurements! I don't feel like I could ask for money in that case. Check out the site. There's some cool stuff on there.

Rob

No,, 0.079 and 0.300 are measured from the side of the cone outward top and bottom respectively. If you need the thickness I can get it for you.
Yes the flange and the bottom of the cone don't look that close in the picture but they are almost the same in real life hence the close measurement.

It's great to see you sharing your designs and your right sone very cool stuff there,,but without a 3d printer I unfortunately cannot make use of them.

Ed,

I think I finally got it! Yes, if you could please measure the thickness of the tab I would really appreciate it.

3d printers are somewhat rare now but as they get better and cheaper I think you'll see them more and more. It's a great rocket toy :)

Rob

Ed,

It's a great rocket toy :)

Rob
Rob..
You got that right it sure would be but like many things in my long life so far like VCR's phones,transistor radios and computers just to name a few all strated off real expensive but later, well you know. Bought a 4head Panasonic VCR when the first came out for $1700 :y: and yes, I was young an stupid then, and now they're obsolete and today $50 buys you one. Don't even get me started on cameras then and now.:eyeroll:

The width of the tab is 2.25mm 0.088"

Ed

Here are some photos of the nose and tail cones for the boosters. Thanks again to Ed for providing the measurements and being so patient! The tail cone is printed in two pieces so as to avoid overhangs and uses a short piece of 1/2" dowel to align the halves. I will post the STL files to Thingiverse soon.

Rob

3.jpg2014-09-01 18.54.22.jpg2014-09-01 18.54.58.jpg2014-09-01 18.56.09.jpg

Thanks Ed! Based on your feedback I've updated the booster nose cone to be a little less blunt and reposted to Thingiverse.com

Sorry for the delay with comparison photos, other stuff got in the way.

Here they are and as you can see Rob did a great job with it. The original kit part is on top in both photos

Enjoy
Ed

Latest posts

Back