GeoSat LV clone opportunity - and other custom recreations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes... The guy had 100% feedback so I took a shot at it. Turned out he deserves his feedback rating as he refunded me about 25% for the damaged tubes. Everything else is pristine.

I really like that Micro your built!!

Ed

Thanks Ed!

They look great! Any chance you could indicate how wide that is? (since it's apparently too long to fit on your scanner's bed. (Helps for scaling later).

Good Luck w/your build!
Jim

Thanks Ed!

They look great! Any chance you could indicate how wide that is? (since it's apparently too long to fit on your scanner's bed. (Helps for scaling later).

Good Luck w/your build!
Jim

What are you some kind of CIA spook? How did you know it was too long for my scanner bed?

I'll get you the measurements when I get back in the garage/man cave

What are you some kind of CIA spook? How did you know it was too long for my scanner bed?

I'll get you the measurements when I get back in the garage/man cave

Simple deduction...

The entire left hand side is cropped off.

What you see is the entire set of decals I have. It didn't fit top and bottom (looking at it with the US straight up) so I cut a 1/4 off the bottom and the top but none of the decals were touched.
I do notice that the left "United States" and the rest below that are somewhat lighter (the actual color) while the rest is grayish so I will put them in the center of the scanner and see if that makes a difference. They were scanned at 600dpi BTW.

Stay tuned.

Gary,

Do you have measurements for the PNC-60MX? I've drawn up the parts for the MX Missile but don't have a sample of the nose cone to take measurements from. Ideally I'd like to get z heights to each inflection point as well as the diameters at these points. If you have an open SCAD file that would be even better!

Rob

Jim,,

Here are the decal measurements you asked for. Sorry for the delay.

The exact measurement of the decal sheet as scanned (the last one) is 4" x 11 13/16"

The NC measurements and photo will be posted later today,, hopefully.

Hope this helps

Ed

Last edited:
Gary,

Do you have measurements for the PNC-60MX? I've drawn up the parts for the MX Missile but don't have a sample of the nose cone to take measurements from. Ideally I'd like to get z heights to each inflection point as well as the diameters at these points. If you have an open SCAD file that would be even better!

Rob

Believe me Rob I'm no where near that technical or precise. I just build kits, do mods or scratch build and fly
All I can offer are measurements taken with a ruler in cm, inch fractions or mm. I don't have a caliper but I think it's time to get one so I will.
I don't even know what "z heights","Inflection points" or SCAD files are :facepalm: ....so I guess a little studying is in order.

I have taken a closeup picture with my IPhone and did some measuring.

Let me know if that will help .
Ed

Ed, mm would be best...

Many of my nosecones are done by eye against the part and the ruler. My later designs have an element of Digital calipers involved ($20 from Harbor Freight). However eyeballing it, and knowing what the body tube is still works a lot better than going with the current "defaults".

Sorry to be so cryptic! Yikes. Z heights are the vertical dimensions measured from the base to each feature staying perpendicular to the base. The inflection points are what I call the features where the nose cone angle changes. There appear to be two or maybe three of these (I can't tell if there is a small one near the base). Millimeters would be great. I also need the diameters at each inflection point but if you don't have calipers this is tricky. I practically sleep with mine, so many uses in rocketry so if you're looking for a reason to get a set... :)

Scad files are open scad files used to create the 3d models for 3d printing.

Thanks for any help you can give and sorry for the cryptic post before!

I had some time this evening so I thought I'd start drawing up the satellite portion of this kit. I managed to end up with one of these via an Estes Designer Special I got a long time ago. The nose isn't accurate because the measurements are just guesses and I have yet to add the detail to the satellite. When I'm done I'll post to Thingiverse and here.

Rob
GeoSatLV.jpgGeoSatLV2.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the finished part. I need to split it up (to make the parts easier to print), do some test prints and the put it up on Thingiverse for download.

GeoSat2.jpg

Dude, that is awesome! Thank you for doing this, you advanced me about a dozen steps without any effort on my part!

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Dude, that is awesome! Thank you for doing this, you advanced me about a dozen steps without any effort on my part!

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Not to rub it in too much but while you guys are still Talking about cloning our beloved Geo-Sat HV... My Micro Version has been completed, and Cluster Flown twice now:)
SoopirV: Hope you get your model built and flying soon. it's a great models static and flying:)

MM 405a1_MM Geo-Sat HV Tri-Motor Cluster 3X DownScale_07-18-14.jpg

MM 405Lp01a_Clustered 3X Geo-Sat HV on Pad 1stFlt_07-19-14.jpg

MM 405Lp01b_Clustered Geo-Sat HV 120ft 1st Flt_07-19-14.jpg

MM 405Lp01c_Clustered Geo-Sat HV after Recovery 1St Flt_07-19-14.JPG

Rob , Jim and others that need/want the measurements if the nosecone.

I finally acquired a caliper, sorry for the delay.
Here are the measurements as best that I could do them. I also have some HiRes photos but not sure how to post them here as they are real BIG.
I can send the link to Flickr if anybody wants them.

Hope this helps and is what was requested by Robnee.

Ed

GeoSat LV NoseCone Measurements.jpg

Terrific! I will compare the dimensions to my guesses and then be able to update the MX Missile parts I posted to Thingiverse. I'm really glad to be able to do them from actual measurements.

I'm still working on the model of the satellite. It's tricky and needs to be split up to make it print nicely without needing supports etc. still have some more work to do.

Thanks again Ed! This is great.

Rob

Terrific! I will compare the dimensions to my guesses and then be able to update the MX Missile parts I posted to Thingiverse. I'm really glad to be able to do them from actual measurements.

I'm still working on the model of the satellite. It's tricky and needs to be split up to make it print nicely without needing supports etc. still have some more work to do.

Thanks again Ed! This is great.

Rob

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the photo... I'm working on my sim of it in OR. One thing that I noticed is that its maximum diameter is listed as 1.634". Most BT-60 tubes I've seen listed are between 1.637" and 1.64" in diameter. I'm basing my sim on those numbers because of a possibility of shrinkage during the cooling of the original plastic part.

My eye leads me to believe that the first transition (behind the elliptical (blunt) point), and the second transition, are not conical, but curved slightly. So, if a straightedge was placed along them, there would be a slight convex curvature visible. Is this an accurate observation, or is it truly conical?

Thanks!
Jim

Rob , Jim and others that need/want the measurements if the nosecone.

I finally acquired a caliper, sorry for the delay.
Here are the measurements as best that I could do them. I also have some HiRes photos but not sure how to post them here as they are real BIG.
I can send the link to Flickr if anybody wants them.

Hope this helps and is what was requested by Robnee.

Ed

View attachment 182009

Ed,

Can you confirm the overall exposed length (not including the shoulder) of the cone? I am trying to determine if these measurements are made along the surface of the cone or if they are z heights. Is the overall exposed length of the cone precisely 2.84" or closer to 2.5"? Sorry to be a pain!

Rob

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the photo... I'm working on my sim of it in OR. One thing that I noticed is that its maximum diameter is listed as 1.634". Most BT-60 tubes I've seen listed are between 1.637" and 1.64" in diameter. I'm basing my sim on those numbers because of a possibility of shrinkage during the cooling of the original plastic part.

My eye leads me to believe that the first transition (behind the elliptical (blunt) point), and the second transition, are not conical, but curved slightly. So, if a straightedge was placed along them, there would be a slight convex curvature visible. Is this an accurate observation, or is it truly conical?

Thanks!
Jim

Based on your statement Jim I went back and re-measured and what I posted was wrong mainly because it looks as if I measured over the flashing that still exists.
It is actually 1.585 and confirmed by measuring the ID of the clear payload was the same at 1.585" (40.26mm)
You are correct that a BT60 tube is as you state 1.637 but that is the OD of the tube and the ID is 1.595.

As far as your eyesight, yes the top two transitions curve the top less than the second,, the third and bottom portion of the exposed NC is straight.

Ed,

Can you confirm the overall exposed length (not including the shoulder) of the cone? I am trying to determine if these measurements are made along the surface of the cone or if they are z heights. Is the overall exposed length of the cone precisely 2.84" or closer to 2.5"? Sorry to be a pain!

Rob

It is closer to 2.8 than 2.5.. it is hard to make it exact because of the angle but that it the best and closest I can get. Wish I could be more precise sorry.

Ed

Last edited:
It is closer to 2.8 than 2.5.. it is hard to make it exact because of the angle but that it the best and closest I can get. Wish I could be more precise sorry.
Ed

Ed,

Thanks for the confirmation. Just wanted to double check.

Rob

I did some test prints of the satellite model. Right is the original and left is the 3d printed part in white PLA. There's a couple of goofs. The 2 spherical protrusions are mirrored, the transition section is a bit too long and the length of the top third is off. Test prints are useful! I remeasured and fixed the models. All in all I think it came out pretty good.

I broke it up into three parts for printing and added alignment pins/hole. This way you can print it without supports. You need a bit of 1/2" dowel to mate the top two pieces.

2014-08-23 21.18.20.jpg2014-08-23 21.18.40.jpg2014-08-23 21.19.19.jpg

Just want to go over everything again and I will post everything to Thingaverse tomorrow.

Rob

Last edited:
I did some test prints of the satellite model. Right is the original and left is the 3d printed part in white PLA. There's a couple of goofs. The 2 spherical protrusions are mirrored, the transition section is a bit too long and the length of the top third is off. Test prints are useful! I remeasured and fixed the models. All in all I think it came out pretty good.

I broke it up into three parts for printing and added alignment pins/hole. This way you can print it without supports. You need a bit of 1/2" dowel to made the top two pieces.

View attachment 182284View attachment 182285View attachment 182286

Just want to go over everything again and I will post everything to Thingaverse tomorrow.

Rob

Hey that looks Great!! As far as which which don't be so hard on yourself..nobody could tell them apart on the launch pad or further up.

Hey that looks Great!! As far as which which don't be so hard on yourself..nobody could tell them apart on the launch pad or further up.

Thanks Ed! I suppose I could draw up the booster nose and tail cones if you're up for measuring those as well.

Rob

Back