GeoSat LV clone opportunity - and other custom recreations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopirV

Reaction score
Hi everyone- I've been admiring the work of Kevin, who produces cloned pieces from classic kits (and other designs) out of 3D modeled and printed plastic. His page is here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Cespedesign-Multimedia

I reached out to him to see if he happened to have the data necessary to clone the plastic pieces from the Estes kit GeoSAT LV. He said he didn't, but if he could get his hands on a set (to borrow), or if someone could provide detailed drawings (he can even produce it from photos, apparently!), he would be able to fabricate them.

This kit is special to me since it was the last one I built before retiring from the hobby as a doddering-old 16 year old. I never did get to fly it. Now that I'm a BA-BAR (had a short stint in my 20's), I want to recreate it. Yes, I know they're occasionally available on EBay, but that's a lot of scratch! :eyepop:

Can anyone help us out?:blush:

Cheers!

Dave

Hi everyone- I've been admiring the work of Kevin, who produces cloned pieces from classic kits (and other designs) out of 3D modeled and printed plastic. His page is here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Cespedesign-Multimedia

I reached out to him to see if he happened to have the data necessary to clone the plastic pieces from the Estes kit GeoSAT LV. He said he didn't, but if he could get his hands on a set (to borrow), or if someone could provide detailed drawings (he can even produce it from photos, apparently!), he would be able to fabricate them.

This kit is special to me since it was the last one I built before retiring from the hobby as a doddering-old 16 year old. I never did get to fly it. Now that I'm a BA-BAR (had a short stint in my 20's), I want to recreate it. Yes, I know they're occasionally available on EBay, but that's a lot of scratch! :eyepop:

Can anyone help us out?:blush:

Cheers!

Dave

Hi Dave:
Well I'm another GeoSat-HLV enthusiast. I've been flying mine as a 3-C6 cluster since I first found the model. My first cluster attempt with it was in 1989, I've been flying it that way ever since. Think she has 35-40 flights to date.
I do have photos of the model...See Below.
I'll have to look this evening but I seem to recall having at least the forward (NC-Satellite-Transition) white styrene piece or Pieces? in my Nosecone collection. I may have the twin booster Nosecones but really don't recall. Not at all sure if I have the Clear "Payload Cover Section" but I do have the instructions and kit face-card. Sorry but I don't recall if I noted all the sizes on the instruction sheets which has become a habit over time.
If I get a chance this evening I'll try to look the stuff Up. If not, perhaps I'll have some time over the long Memorial Day weekend to check it out.
For now there are some photos that may help?

021a-sm_Geo-Sat HLV 3C_03-21-89.jpg

021b_Geo-Sat 3C cluster motor end_01-21-09.jpg

021c_Geo-Sat Nosewt clay_01-21-09.jpg

021-b1b-sm_Geo-Sat 3 C6 LiftOff_07-21-90.jpg

021-b1c-sm_Geo-Sat under Chute_07-21-90.jpg

Wow!! What a great looking specimen! Makes me want it back even more! Thanks for taking the time to share it, and to perhaps help bring her back!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

This is one of those kits I missed out on during my first few years of rocketry... I'd love a chance to build one with repro parts.

Also, I might know a guy who has a completed one collecting dust. I'll do some asking around.

I'm surprised I have the entire set of Styrene Plastic parts including the clear BT-60 x 5.0" satellite cover. Did a full size scan attached below. Still looking for the Fin pattern, Body tube lengths and instructions sheet.... I know I have it just haven't put my hands on it. Hope to dig them out over the weekend. Till then hope this scan will help you out.

Geo-Sat HLV Plastic Parts Scan-a_05-21-14.jpg

Amazing! I got the plans for tube length and fins from Jim-z or ye olde rocket plans. That's the easy part!

Well Since I've gone this far I think I see another Micro-Maxx 3 motor cluster model coming in the very near future LOL!

For now I can turn and carve the Payload, NC's, Transition and nozzles so the only question is what size bodies to make them fit? I'll have to do a little thinking about that...or not perhaps T4 (10.5mm) main to BT-5 payload with T3(.375") dia boosters? Sounds like a fun 3X Downscale.

sometime around Feb. of next year I should have a 3-D printer in place that I'm hoping will make some of the more complex modeling parts a good bit less of a hassle. At least for my Micro Maxx modeling parts anyway:)

Last edited:
The Geo Sat LV is one of the OP kits I've wanted to get hold of. Usually when they show up on ebay they go for a pretty good sum.

I built one in the ninties during my first incarnation as a BAR. My favorite rocket from that period. Broke a fin on every flight and it got fixed every time. It drifted into the Cooper River one day and then continued to drift out into the Delaware. That was the last I saw of it.

If this plastic parts thing gets done—I'd be in for a set.

Micro has the right idea—cluster. It was a heavy rocket for a single 18 mm.

Cool (not about your geosat's watery demise, that sucks!), but I love that this has some real interest- anyone else? Not sure of cost right now, don't think we'll know until 3D scans are performed or a model is generated.

I had one of these back in the day..even installed a big red LED into the satellite .

Would love to pick up some pieces to clone also .

Kenny

Well Since I've gone this far I think I see another Micro-Maxx 3 motor cluster model coming in the very near future LOL!

For now I can turn and carve the Payload, NC's, Transition and nozzles so the only question is what size bodies to make them fit? I'll have to do a little thinking about that...or not perhaps T4 (10.5mm) main to BT-5 payload with T3(.375") dia boosters? Sounds like a fun 3X Downscale.

sometime around Feb. of next year I should have a 3-D printer in place that I'm hoping will make some of the more complex modeling parts a good bit less of a hassle. At least for my Micro Maxx modeling parts anyway:)

Haven't heard anything more about the 3-D printed option the OP was talking about but I did decide to build a 3X downscale of this very interesting model.
Have not Paint or decal finished it yet but the build is done. Built thread in the Micro Maxx forum. I've made the satellite a 3 piece removable insert so I can switch it out for a Micro Altimeter or leave the Payload Clear section completely open.
My little 3 motor clustered Micro Geo-Sat HV will fly on a MMX-II and two ejectable MMX-II NE's in the boosters. Should be a hoot!

Attachments

• MM 405uc13_Construction Complete_07-04-14.jpg
    MM 405uc13_Construction Complete_07-04-14.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 29
  • MM 405uc08b_Satellite in Cover on T4 body_07-02-14.JPG
    MM 405uc08b_Satellite in Cover on T4 body_07-02-14.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 29
  • MM 405uc06c_install 2-56 St-Stl Nut in Transition_07-02-14.JPG
    MM 405uc06c_install 2-56 St-Stl Nut in Transition_07-02-14.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 29
I built one of these many years ago but have never actually launched it. That will change very soon!

This would be a popular item if it becomes available. I would love to build a new one.

Until this thread I had never seen this rocket...I love it! So much so that Im going to try and build a mini clone. Gonna Have to wing the satellite but Ill give it a shot. If the parts or a full kit ever become available Ill buy one in a nano second!

Yeah but in the description the both of the bag is open and part of the balsa is sticking out. The seller states sold "as is" " so you realy never know if all the parts are there.
My luck "Murphys Law" the satellite pieces fell out.

It would be hard to loose only the satellite pieces as it is molded onto the main Transition. I'd be more concerned the Clear Payload cover might be missing as it is all but impossible to replace. The triple tapered nose cone is also unique to this kit so if it's missing it would be a problem.

Looking at the photo of the bottom of the bag: That hole wasn't made by age as stated. Curly, lettuce-like tears are what happens when a bag is pulled apart. Something was definitely taken out and/or examined by someone.

I bid on it at any rate. Got to fourty bucks and thats where I drew the line. It's not a fifty-sixty dollar (with shipping) rocket to me. Sure would like one—but not at that price. And it would be my luck that one or more of the important pieces were missing.

So Gary.... Stop teasing us..:wink:

Are you going to make/offer the parts for this Geo Sat? If so how much??

What I see so far is great. I am also getting ready to order your Sat 1B parts as well.

Ed

Yup, teasing. Unfortunately those aren't print-ready models, but close. I also have to do some maintenance on my printer before I can do some trial prints on them, so it might be a couple of weeks. The 55-60 transition is no problem, but it'll take a bit more work to come up with the satellite.

Gary

If the clear body tube segment is BT-60 sized. You can cut a fresh one out of the Fluorescent Tube Protecter from Lithonia (less than $4 USD for a 4' length, and about $5 USD for an 8' length from Home Depot). The tube will be a tad larger in the diameter, but I've been able to overcome the fit difference by using scraps of BT-60 to shim it to the nosecones (both plastic and balsa) I'm using on my builds.

Cutting it is a breeze if you use the back of an Xacto blade to scrape it, rather than trying to cut it with the front edge. Once you get through it, flexing it usually will tear the material along the seam you've created.

Yup, teasing. Unfortunately those aren't print-ready models, but close. I also have to do some maintenance on my printer before I can do some trial prints on them, so it might be a couple of weeks. The 55-60 transition is no problem, but it'll take a bit more work to come up with the satellite.

Gary

Thanks it's good to see there is progress. Any idea (Ballpark) how much all of the parts will be when they're available?

If the clear body tube segment is BT-60 sized. You can cut a fresh one out of the Fluorescent Tube Protecter from Lithonia (less than $4 USD for a 4' length, and about $5 USD for an 8' length from Home Depot). The tube will be a tad larger in the diameter, but I've been able to overcome the fit difference by using scraps of BT-60 to shim it to the nosecones (both plastic and balsa) I'm using on my builds.

Cutting it is a breeze if you use the back of an Xacto blade to scrape it, rather than trying to cut it with the front edge. Once you get through it, flexing it usually will tear the material along the seam you've created.

Thanks,, From what I have researched it is indeed BT60 based....you always come up with great ideas for rebuilding some of these great kits.

Soon we have to talk about the Omega and the Cineroc and Camroc which I already have some parts for.:wink:

Ed

Thanks,, From what I have researched it is indeed BT60 based....you always come up with great ideas for rebuilding some of these great kits.

Soon we have to talk about the Omega and the Cineroc and Camroc which I already have some parts for.:wink:

Ed

Thanks!

I'd love to chat about the Cineroc/Omega, and the Camroc... I'm almost at a stage where I think I can do them justice (If I could only get the missing parts).

All the Best!
Jim

Lookee here what I was able to acquire....
The body tubes are somewhat crushed but that's an easy fix. All the other parts are there and in perfect shape except for the motor hook which again is no problem.

Ed

Back