Is the " iphone launcher" a reality or just vaporware?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketMike

Reaction score
So I keep seeing this iphone commercial where they launch model rockets with an iphone. I did a little research on the web and came upon a kickstarter campaign for one where the goal amount had been raised and some various "kits" for it looked to be for sale but wasn't too sure about trusting the site. The I found a thread on here about it and people were questioning how safe it was and it seemed to get pretty contentious.
So is there such a thing and is it available for sale from a reputable source? I'm not in the market for anything like that at present but my curiosity has been aroused and I might like something like it in the future. Just wondering if they actually exist.

Not sure... But hope its true

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

I'm calling vaporware on the "Launcher" app - at least for now.

The Apple ad you are referring to is called "Powerful".

You can view the add on Youtube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODmfmUWqlSA#t=75

You can learn more about the apps showcased in the ad (with the exception of the launcher) here https://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/powerful/

Why vaporware? Well lets get real. :eyeroll:

You don't think the phone actually launches the rockets by itself do you??? Of course not! :shock: -they make it seem that way, don't they?

The phone just sends a signal (Bluetooth maybe or wifi ?) to the controller which launches the rockets. Could the controller be that large case on the left side of the screen???

At the very least you need HARDWARE to receive the Bluetooth/wifi signal, and at least a car-battery size power source to launch those rockets.

The phone - be it iPhone or Android - (hint - ANY smart phone with Bluetooth/wifi could do this) is acting as nothing more than a wireless switch. Sending a signal no more than a few feet. To really pull this off requires a lot more than just an "App". :)

Is this something you can purchase from a rocketry vendor (who else would sell something like this?) - no, not that I know of.

At least not yet...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
Well yeah, I knew the hardware to launch the rocket was a separate deal being controlled from the phone. Thought that much was obvious. Anyway, here is the website I found when researching it....
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...cket-launcher-bluenose-mobile-mission-control Like I said, looks like they reached their goal. Of course, there is nothing saying this is what was used in the ad and knowing commercials, the whole thing might have been staged anyway.

Last edited:
You could have electronics in an avbay get the signal and kick off an ignitor.

Safety would be questionable, but it's possible.

Well yeah, I knew the hardware to launch the rocket was a separate deal being controlled from the phone. Thought that much was obvious. Anyway, here is the website I found when researching it....
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...cket-launcher-bluenose-mobile-mission-control Like I said, looks like they reached their goal. Of course, there is nothing saying this is what was used in the ad and knowing commercials, the whole thing might have been staged anyway.

They - Bluenose MMC - apparently made less than 20 of their MMC launch controllers after raising more than $5200. I guess there isn't enough interest or profit for them to continue. At least that is the message on this website. https://mobilemissioncontrol.com/ :(

OK, I guess I should have dug a little further. Looks like to me this could be a pretty simple DIY project for someone with the necessary skills. The electronics are no big deal for me, I build stuff all the time and it doesn't look very complex and looks to use an off the shelf bluetooth controller module. Would love to have access to the schematic. The app itself would be a whole nother can of worms though. I would not even know where to start with writing/ programing that.

I'm going to say that the rocket launch in the ad is bs. I'm sure they did write an app with a big red button labeled "LAUNCH" that turns black when you push it, but the actual launching of the rockets was done by one or more guys pressing buttons on real launch controllers off screen.

Apple is welcome to prove me wrong.

I like the idea, but it seems to me you'd be exchanging one set of potential delays (current hardware/analog systems with weak batteries, loose wiring connections, igniter plugs pulling out) with a whole new group (inadvertent ignition, signal encryption and security, etc etc.).

What I'd love to see somebody invent would be a kind of "smart payload" which would include a vid cam and multi-function altimeter (accelerometer, g-force) which could send telemetry in real time to a smartphone, tablet or laptop -- telemetry just like the Cape.

I'm sure they did write an app with a big red button labeled "LAUNCH" that turns black when you push it...
I think you're right. After all, that app would only be a few thousand lines of Objective C. :)

I think it's just the "cool factor" to me. I mean when you get right down to it a model rocket launch control system is about as basic electric/electronic technology as it gets, unless we are talking HPR and even that's not super complex. BTW there is another company out there making "smart phone controlled relays" that shows a model rocket being launched via phone in some of their video.

I like the idea, but it seems to me you'd be exchanging one set of potential delays (current hardware/analog systems with weak batteries, loose wiring connections, igniter plugs pulling out) with a whole new group (inadvertent ignition, signal encryption and security, etc etc.).

What I'd love to see somebody invent would be a kind of "smart payload" which would include a vid cam and multi-function altimeter (accelerometer, g-force) which could send telemetry in real time to a smartphone, tablet or laptop -- telemetry just like the Cape.
Isn't there some HPR technology out there that sends telemetry to a PC? Seems to me I saw a video of an HPR launch where the guy was having telemetry being delivered to a laptop he had right there on site. Doesn't seem like it would be a giant leap to have such technology with a smartphone.

Somewhere here on TRF is a video - the guy has the telemetry coming out of his iPhone in "Siri's" voice, in real time... "Launch Detected", "Acceleration 20g's", "Peak Altitude 3487 ft" ... etc.
Very cool, very one-of-a-kind custom.

Actually, this is the one I saw before...Same "Kate" - different video...

[YOUTUBE]LML5ggoFrrU[/YOUTUBE]

Getting the thread back to the smart phone launcher, I did register my e-mail at the site to be notified of updates so we shall see what comes of it. Also, on the TRF thread itself that I posted the link to, I inquired and someone posted that something in ios7 had "broken" the bluetooth tech they were using so that apparently has to be worked out. I wonder, if it appears they can't really make any profit from it, if they will eventually release a schematic and the app involved. My be wishful thinking on my part though.....

Isn't there some HPR technology out there that sends telemetry to a PC? Seems to me I saw a video of an HPR launch where the guy was having telemetry being delivered to a laptop he had right there on site. Doesn't seem like it would be a giant leap to have such technology with a smartphone.

Yeah, obviously it can be done, the question is, can it be done in a size usable by most LPR fliers (say, BT-50 size or smaller and a couple ounces mass) and retailed at a price accesssible to the average rocketeer (under $100??). Five years ago onboard video cameras commonly ran over $100, then somebody found a cheaper way to do it.

If you want 'cool' surely you build a controller with switches, knobs, flashing lights.....iPhone is starting to look like something kids use or mums. Everyone has one so its about as cool as baked beans.

Whatever geek chic iPhone had has definitely been lost...I saw that as soon as the uncoolest people on the planet starting using them.

Super cool would be voice activation with the system having a voice like Zen in Blakes 7...not ORAC he would be too argumentative and definitely not HAL as he would launch you and steal the rocket :)

Last edited:
If you want 'cool' surely you build a controller with switches, knobs, flashing lights.....iPhone is starting to look like something kids use or mums. Everyone has one so its about as cool as baked beans.

Whatever geek chic iPhone had has definitely been lost...I saw that as soon as the uncoolest people on the planet starting using them.

Super cool would be voice activation with the system having a voice like Zen in Blakes 7...not ORAC he would be too argumentative and definitely not HAL as he would launch you and steal the rocket :)

I don't know, I still think the idea of launching a rocket via the touchcsreen on my phone is pretty cool. To each their own I guess....

I don't know, I still think the idea of launching a rocket via the touchcsreen on my phone is pretty cool. To each their own I guess....

And having just done a couple of flights today this way, I can say it IS cool.

Unless you had the application open and the countdown set to zero, as well as a rocket on the pad and armed, I don't know how you would "butt launch" with this setup.

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

Last edited:
Ok BEC, where do I buy this at?

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Nevermind, I found the website, and downloaded the free App, however it does me no good since I don't have the gear.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

iPhone is starting to look like something kids use or mums. Everyone has one so its about as cool as baked beans. Whatever geek chic iPhone had has definitely been lost...I saw that as soon as the uncoolest people on the planet starting using them.

That means it's about time for me to get one.... :eyeroll: :bangpan:
I just don't want to pay the extra data fee (I'm cheap that way)

Adrian

It runs on 6 AA cells....they are in the right end of the box (under the label in the picture). I hope to do more than two flights off of it this coming weekend, but I'm also madly building competition models for NARAM and so have limited time to go fly before I start the drive east on the 23rd.

Now that I have it in hand I'm still trying to figure out a way to make it explicitly safety code-compliant (some kind of removable safety key) that would be any more convenient and effective than disconnecting the output cable from the box (which is their suggested method) but I haven't figured it out yet. The cable is actually an Ethernet cable with some conductors used in parallel and the connector between the box and the 10 foot clip cable is just a female-female RJ45 coupler.

Last edited:
Back