What will RED cover

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently getting ready to paint my SUMO and I figure I'll just do the stock paint scheme with the decals. Before I paint the top coat I like to wet sand the primer and I always use two colors of primer, Red and gray. The reason for this is because when I sand the second color acts as a depth gauge and lets me know how much I have sanded, I usually try to sand just enough to keep the primer smooth and like glass and use very little water, but in some cases I sand through the gray primer.

So the main color of the SUMO is red and my question is would it cover the areas I sanded through without much notice? I just don't want any dark spots because of the red primer. As far as the fins I'm going to hit those with white base coat and then a bright yellow. Also the inside of the aft body tube I'm spraying with some high heat paint.

My other option would be a tricked out paint job of black, white and bright orange with a cool pattern.

Looking at the pictures I doubt I should have any issues.

2014-05-18 13.50.05.jpg2014-05-18 13.50.14.jpg2014-05-18 13.50.29.jpg2014-05-18 13.50.41.jpg2014-05-18 13.50.57.jpg2014-05-18 13.51.09.jpg2014-05-18 13.51.22.jpg

Thanks guys!:)

Dan-I think you're good to go with the red if all you have are the pinkish areas showing. Red usually contains enough solids that the drying time is noticeably longer, but that sometimes means you need two thin coats rather than one heavy one. You rock, brother and we'll fly together sometime soon!

red should cover just about anything it will come out darker over black. now trying to cover red with another color is a little harder

Hey Dan the bird looks great. No problem with red. It has lots of solids. Two coats should do the trick. Guide coating is the only way to go if your looking for a slick job--Yours always turn out perfect !!!

I'll just pipe in briefly: Which red?

Some reds cover great, others not so much. The specific paint you use will determine the results. I would recommend a test on a piece of white paper that has some marks on it (pencil, pen, whatever). If the red covers the marks, you're good to go. If not, you need another coat of white on the rocket to cover it consistently before doing the red.

I've had lots of variable results with red, so know the sting of inadequate surface uniformity.

Good luck.

Marc

I'll just pipe in briefly: Which red?

Some reds cover great, others not so much. The specific paint you use will determine the results. I would recommend a test on a piece of white paper that has some marks on it (pencil, pen, whatever). If the red covers the marks, you're good to go. If not, you need another coat of white on the rocket to cover it consistently before doing the red.

I've had lots of variable results with red, so know the sting of inadequate surface uniformity.

Good luck.

Marc

Duplicolor Cherry Red enamel

The launch lugs might get a quick spray of gray primer and a quick sand, but I think the rest will be fine.

Duplicolor Cherry Red enamel

The launch lugs might get a quick spray of gray primer and a quick sand, but I think the rest will be fine.
Hey buddy, What Marc_G said is a GOOD POINT. I was thinking in terms of fire engine red or something like that. Anything off color --like the color your looking at or a metalic--has a little less solids in it, or maybe a little more clear--depends on your point of veiw. Anyway, what he said makes sense and I would take his warning seriously.---pm me later , I need your opinion --and eyes---on a project. -Bill

Last edited:
If it were me - I would give the whole thing one more coat of grey primer and sand it smooth-but-not-thru to the red oxide. I prefer to put the color on top of a uniform "shade" of primer. - probably just my OCD kicking in - :)

Laid down the white paint for the first stage of my pattern. It turned out pretty nice. One small run and little dry on the fin can, but doubt it will matter mucg since it's just an under coat for the bright orange I plan on laying down over it.

I'll probably just wet sand the areas on the white that need it. So far so good.

Still wish I had a spray gun and spray booth. Painting would be so much easier.

2014-05-25 18.55.37.jpg2014-05-25 18.55.48.jpg2014-05-25 18.55.58.jpg2014-05-25 18.56.14.jpg2014-05-25 18.56.20.jpg2014-05-25 18.56.31.jpg

Back