NEW Kit The PAINKILLER 3! by Gary T. Designs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree completely Bill....
I never use a switch band
and I do have the way to cut airframe square...
I'd just rather everything be internal
and accessed through a vent hole.....
I think it's a cleaner build that way.......

Teddy

I switched to the featherweight magnetic switch for this very reason and have one set aside for my Painkiller.

PK3 on a CTI J355RL to 5589' photo by David McCann

14536142421_7d8069d4e3_o_zps4758e424.jpg

No kiddin Gary.....
The look and shape of the Shape Shifter is one of my all time favorites.........
It truly is a tough call,,,,,,,,,,
But I think you beat it..............

Teddy

Flew it on an I280 Metalstorm drogueless... The wind blew it upside down so when shock cord came out on first ejection it never was able to stabilize at 500ft main deployed but it was too late lost a fin cracked the epoxy fillets and the cone is ruined... It was an amazing flight just the wind and taking the going droguless advice today against my gut... Other than that I'll definitely buy another one!

Great kit Gary. Been enjoying building mine slowly. Almost done, except for the fiddely bits: my modular ebay (54mm tube) won't fit easily, so need to make something new for 3" rockets.

Awesome Andy.

As for the Av-Bay just take the 2 bulk plates you got with the kit and glue them together, then take a hole saw and drill out the center so your 54mm Av-Bay seats right in it. That's what I did for my PK3.

Awesome Andy.

As for the Av-Bay just take the 2 bulk plates you got with the kit and glue them together, then take a hole saw and drill out the center so your 54mm Av-Bay seats right in it. That's what I did for my PK3.

That,,,, Gary,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Is a severely ,,,, insanely,,,,, superb,,,,,, idea.............
I'm gonna remember that one................

Teddy

Awesome Andy.

Thats essentially what I do for rockets. Here's photos of a 4" coupler, with the modular ebay not installed, and the ebay itself (dual Ravens inside).
4in ebay.jpg54mm bay.jpg

If I do this with a 3" coupler, there isn't much room left for an attachment point, let alone charge wells. I guess I could just epoxy a Kevlar tether through the coupler, and attach recovery to each end rather than having ubolts (which I prefer). The charges would be probably need to be just hanging on ematch wires in baggies (I don't have the patience to make up charges in the plastic centrifuge vials). The 54mm ebay itself has no attachment points or charge wells, as it gets put into some large 6" and 7.5" rockets where they'd be useless. I'll have to draw something up and see if I like it. Might be some room for 1/2" OD wells - might whip 4 up in the shop.

Do you have a photo of yours?

Last edited:
That's pretty slick Andy,,,
You put the charge wells on the larger bulkhead that stays with the rocket....

Teddy

The charges would be probably need to be just hanging on ematch wires in baggies (I don't have the patience to make up charges in the plastic centrifuge vials).

All I do for the vials is fill with BP, stuff in an ematch, pack in wadding and close the cap over the wire. no need to get fancy.

ALL BLACK PAINKILLER 3 Special!

I have One! all BLACK PAINKILLER 3 with Neon Green Vinyl that's up for grabs. The kit "including shipping" (US ONLY) is only 159.00! and will ship on Monday.

First one to post here! Gets it.

Payment accepted via Paypay to [email protected]

Great kit Gary. Been enjoying building mine slowly. Almost done, except for the fiddely bits: my modular ebay (54mm tube) won't fit easily, so need to make something new for 3" rockets.

Andy any finished pics yet? Or any other PK3 owners finish theirs?? I wanna see pics!

Not done yet G. Fincan complete - looks very nice. Dragging my heels on the ebay still, and life has been too busy. I'll post something when I get it done.

Hi Gary,

What size chute did you use on your PK3? I have a 48" Iris Ultra Fruity Chute, which would be nice to use, I just don't have a final weigh in on my build so I am not sure if it will be too small and have to move up to the 60". My concern is around where the trailing edge and tip chord meet on the fins, I see it as a possible source of pain on a hard landing.

my darkstar was 13 pounds on the pad, about 11 after burnout. I used a 48" iris and it came down nicely.

The PK3 should come out lighter than that, and I'd be very comfortable using the 48' in it.... landing surface dependent of course, I land on a plowed farm.

my darkstar was 13 pounds on the pad, about 11 after burnout. I used a 48" iris and it came down nicely.

The PK3 should come out lighter than that, and I'd be very comfortable using the 48' in it.... landing surface dependent of course, I land on a plowed farm.

I Dave,

Thanks that sounds perfect. Were you able to build your PK3 to fit the Loki 54/2800 case?

I Dave,

Thanks that sounds perfect. Were you able to build your PK3 to fit the Loki 54/2800 case?

Sheepishly, I haven't built it yet. Didn't want to pay shipping for just an aeropack, so I picked one up at last weekends launch. Build should start soon.

It'd be possible, but too much work (to me) to fit a 54/2800. I'm going to build it basically stock, and make the NC screw to the coupler to put a tracker on there.

Sheepishly, I haven't built it yet. Didn't want to pay shipping for just an aeropack, so I picked one up at last weekends launch. Build should start soon.

It'd be possible, but too much work (to me) to fit a 54/2800. I'm going to build it basically stock, and make the NC screw to the coupler to put a tracker on there.

I went with the GLR slimline which fits the 54/2800 hardware but with 1" from the top of the motor to the top of the booster section. I am considering moving the aft bulkhead of the altimeter bay up into the coupler to give me 4", which should be enough for the charge cups, a small drogue and the harness. The harness will actually fit in between the motor and BT assuming the heat is not an issue. I don't believe it would be as the harness is kevlar so I should be good if it was up against the motor, or I could always use a layer of Nomex.

All still an idea as I am still working on the booster which I just need to finish the fillets.

If you can get some scrap 3" FG anywhere, a vent band will get you another inch of room too. I was considering a nosecone bay and a cutter, a NC bay and running wires down for the two charges, and using another coupler and 4-6" of tube to extend it.

I've decided to keep it simple and just fly it on 54/1706 motors and the like.

Last edited:
Back