NEW Kit The PAINKILLER 3! by Gary T. Designs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can get some scrap 3" FG anywhere, a vent band will get you another inch of room too. I was considering a nosecone bay and a cutter, a NC bay and running wires down for the two charges, and using another coupler and 4-6" of tube to extend it.

I've decided to keep it simple and just fly it on 54/1706 motors and the like.

I recall you considering trying to accommodate the 54/2800 hardware for this build, and was wondering what you might try. I am leaning towards keeping it as close to stock by simply getting a 12" coupler and insetting the aft bulkhead forward enough to give me 4 or so inches between the motor and the charge caps. I am going with a traditional split rocket design, a small drogue aft of the altimeter bay and the payload bay (main) held in place forward of the altimeter bay by self clinching or some people call them by the brand "PEM" nuts and counter sinking the screws, see my post for my Madcow Tomach https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-you-do-rocket-wise-today&p=768853#post768853. The rocket will split aft of the couple as normally and forward the payload bay at the nosecone. Then I will use the nosecone for my trackers.

should work, only issue I see is getting to the charge wells to fill/seal them up 4" into the coupler. If you can get a smaller ID tube or cut a bit out of some coupler and glue that band at the 4" line, you'd be able to remove the rear bulkhead for all that. (if that's your plan sorry for repeating it, just not sure if you're planning to fix the rear bulkhead in)

should work, only issue I see is getting to the charge wells to fill/seal them up 4" into the coupler. If you can get a smaller ID tube or cut a bit out of some coupler and glue that band at the 4" line, you'd be able to remove the rear bulkhead for all that. (if that's your plan sorry for repeating it, just not sure if you're planning to fix the rear bulkhead in)

Sounds good. I have a bunch of stuff I need to get some measurements over to Nat to CNC for me and I will add the band.

Here is a rough 2D RockSim image using a 12" coupler instead of the stock 7". If the coupler is inset 4" into the booster and the aft altimeter bay bulkhead is inset 7" in the coupler, it gives me approximately 4 and a bit inches for the altimeter bay electronics, 5 inches for the main/shock cord and 4 and a bit for the drogue/shock cord, give or take. I can likely play with it a bit, as an example. The coupler could be higher up in the booster say 3" or even 3.5" and there is always the nosecone shoulder where I can inset the nosecone mounting point and pull the bulkhead up and in, just so long as my AT-2B tracker antenna fits.

Bottom line, I think it's doable, without too much effort. Simulations put the PK3 12 plus K @ Mach 1 with the Loki 54/2800 K350 whihc makes for two of my goals, break Mach and hit the two mile mark. It's just too tempting to pass up. Only if the this booster was a few inches longer.

Now I just need to get a 12" coupler, I see the 7" and 9" on the ProLine site but no 12"

PK3.png

Mike, As for the chute a 48 or 52 will work fine. A 12" coupler for a 3" kit would have to be cut custom as no 3" kits have that long a coupler. A 12" G12 coupler would be 28.00 plus shipping. If interested shoot me an email and I can send you an invoice. Thanks

Just ordered one. Looking forward to the build!

I will hopefully get my Level 1 and maybe my Level 2 with this bird! :D

Its a great kit! Gary will sell out on these at this price, I almost bought another.

Here's some build photos from mine. I changed the stock kit to use my modular 54mm ebay (2 Ravens), and added a 38mm tube to the nose cone to hold a tracker:
DSC_0309.jpgDSC_0406.jpgDSC_0415.jpgDSC_0424.jpgDSC_0429.jpgDSC_0721.jpgDSC_0830.jpgDSC_0834.jpgDSC_0826.jpgDSC_0836.jpg

Still need to mount rail buttons, apply the decal and set up the laundry. First flight will be some sort of EX J motor next weekend, and may fly it again at Red Glare on a 5 grain K.

Last edited:
Launches 11/8/14 on 2 different white EX J motors:
DSC_0840.jpgDSC_0916.jpg

Great flier ! Thanks G!

Sold out? :( will you be doing more for $99. If anyone has a spare let me know ....

Egads, I missed this thread and the announcement on facebook. That was a good deal. So is that it for the line or just the sale?

I am Sold Out of the Painkiller 3 right now so that's the end of the sale too (sorry guys) But! there will be more but at the regular price. I may be doing a sale on the Painkiller Micro though so keep an eye out for that.

Also the Painkiller MAX a 4.5" kit will be coming out soon as well. 75mm MM, 3/16" fins, DD and ready to rock at 299.00

any thoughts of doing a painkiller 2? something between the micro and the 3 with a 29 or 38mm motor mount?

any thoughts of doing a painkiller 2? something between the micro and the 3 with a 29 or 38mm motor mount?

Seconded... Would be interested in a 38 mmt with 29 option

The backwards fins look pretty good, nice to see someone paint it as well.

Added a switch band and nose cone setup to hold a Garmin dog tracker too.

Every since Gary offered the kit I've been considering flipping the fins, we have lots of rocks at our launch sites and an aerotech retainer is a better bumper that a fin.

Got my level 1 cert on my Painkiller 3 this past weekend. Cert flight was on a CTI I-223 Skidmark. Flew really nice. Second flight was on an AeroTech I-280 Single Use Dark Matter. This one got a little unstable...flew to 2134'

[video=youtube_share;U7fRGaagqlQ]https://youtu.be/U7fRGaagqlQ[/video]

I flew my Painkiller 3 for the first time at our local club launch in Saint Alban’s Vermont on April 19th. I used a CTI J335 Redline motor. It was a picture perfect flight with straight boost, a 24” drogue chute at apogee and a 54” Spherachute at 500 feet. Rocksim estimated 3300’. The Stratologger reported 3222’. Pretty close! The rocket also landed about 200 feet from the pad. Nice kit! I'm going to bring it to LDRS 34 in June.

P1260681b (Large).jpg

Painkiller launch.jpg

Drogue.JPG

Main.JPG

Back