Forgive my ignorance...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size tube is minimum diameter? The 2, 2.5 or 3? https://www.fliskits.com/products/01prod_fs.htm And what are the fins typically made of?

Brian:
Minimum Motor size is T2+ (.281"OD). Over time and experimenting I've come to believe T3 (.375"OD) is a great Outer airframe size giving a little bit larger model without adding to much mass. T2 (.246"OD) telescopes into T2+ tubes If cut to 3/16"long make excellant Motor stops, Nosecone shoulders, and Upper stage extensions.

Silly me forgot to mention fin materials. To be honest fins can be just about anything you want to use. I regularly use Balsa .020", .032", Basswood in 1/32" (.032") sometimes 1/16" (.063") though rather Thick & Heavy. Very useful are 1/64" and 3/64" 3ply aircraft Plywood. Some heavy cardstock, Shocard and slightly thicker pressed cardboards, file folders and the like,
If your looking for Plastics .010" to .032" White Styrene Plastic sheet. On lots of models I use .005", .010" & .015" G10 "Waferglass" sheeting. Most important for finless Scale model Clear fins are .010" to .030" Clear Polycarbonate. just stay away for clear Acrylic and modified acrylics for fins as the stuff is just to brittle for flight use.\

If your really interested in getting started in MMX models I Strongly recommend Fliskits Do-Hickey, Tiny Triskelion, Tog, Dead Ringer, Ulysses, & Buck-Shot. After a couple simple kits you might want to try the Tiddlewink HD, Nanite RG and MACME Shrew;)

MM 329a-sm_TOG_04-04-07.jpg

MM 366p01_MM Flis Dead Ringer_03-30-10.jpg

MM 382p01-Lg_Ulysses X-Metal Silv & Red_09-15-11.jpg

MM 383p01-Lg_Buck Shot Decal & Futured_10-10-11.jpg

MM 215c1d1b-sm_Tiddlewink RotorsUp colored_04-24-09.JPG

Last edited:
What size tube is minimum diameter? The 2, 2.5 or 3? https://www.fliskits.com/products/01prod_fs.htm And what are the fins typically made of?
The minimum diameter tube is the Fliskits BT-2.5. I have used 1/16" balsa, 1/32" basswood, and thin cardboard (about the thickness of the 60s -70s Estes centering rings before they switched to 0.050" stock) for fins. If you are interested in some MicroMaxx kits, try the Petite Praetor, Doo-Hickey, and Buckshot from Fliskits. The major difference from building standard LPRs is dealing with all of the tiny, tiny parts and not using too much glue. IF you don't have any tweezers, you really should get a set.

That reminds me - I have a Buckshot that I haven't flown yet.....I should bring it out next launch. My main MMX models are a Fliskits Teeny Triskelion (quite a revelation after flying Quest's plastic bricks), a Crayon (silly me, I got it in green) and a downscale I did of an old Design of the Month called Mitosis.

That reminds me - I have a Buckshot that I haven't flown yet.....I should bring it out next launch. My main MMX models are a Fliskits Teeny Triskelion (quite a revelation after flying Quest's plastic bricks), a Crayon (silly me, I got it in green) and a downscale I did of an old Design of the Month called Mitosis.

Bernard you really should get your Buckshot in the air it's a Hoot.

Brian:
Almost forgot one of Jim's favorite Creations (Fliskits that is). The Diminutive Deuce 2 motor canted cluster. She's on the large side with a BT-5 (.544") OD body but does OK on two MMX-II motors.

I mentoned the M.A.C.M.E. Shrew in my earlier post. While it is a bit more challenging it is a really fun knockoff of the Old Larson Cartoon. While I "Steam-punked" mine its a fun build just straight once you've gotten used to working with the smaller size parts.

MM 328lp01d-sm_D-Deuce 1st Flt 3pic_03-24-07.jpg

MM 401a_SteamPunk MACME Shrew accent left_03-18-14.jpg

The details in some of these rockets are incredible! Very nice!

I'm thinking I may have to stick my toe in the water to test it out!

Same... I haven't seen anyone in the club here fly MMX.

I have a dear friend and former NAR Competition team member who moved to NM for his Health. I seem to recall he mentioned Albuquerque as being very close? He is now having a great time out there volunteering at one of the parks and flying with some MR club. His name is Paul Miller if you run across him, He and I did a lot with micro's presenting an R&D report on them for NARAM. I'm sure he would have some squirreled away somewhere.

I have a dear friend and former NAR Competition team member who moved to NM for his Health. I seem to recall he mentioned Albuquerque as being very close? He is now having a great time out there volunteering at one of the parks and flying with some MR club. His name is Paul Miller if you run across him, He and I did a lot with micro's presenting an R&D report on them for NARAM. I'm sure he would have some squirreled away somewhere.
Thanks for the info... don't think I've seen him at launches though.

Like a man told me out of site is out of site and with these little rockets 75 to 125 feet is out of site. Several things that make these rockets so enjoyable is one they are very cheap to build and launch. Then you only need a field of about 50 feet in diameter so my grandchildren and I can launch in the front yard. No loading having to drive to a location. They are all so a good starter rocket for small ones. There are several Quest rockets ready to fly that do well like the No Mercy and Critical Mass go as high as some of my kit models. Our Micro Maxx fleet.

Last edited:
Those look like the Quest "plastic brick" Saturn V models. They made some with larger fins that flew stable and some with tiny fins that only "sometimes" flew stable.

You can't see the fins in his photo, but his are the Quest Saturn V models with the tiny fins. I showed him how to use clear plastic to "beef" them up.

It Only takes a very small amount of clear package material added above the existing fins to make the small fin versions completely stable without adding much in the way of mass to the already hefty LPB LOL!

Fliskits now makes a scale Saturn V that flies like a dream. It currently shows out of stock so keep an eye out for the next run.

Here's the two MMX Saturn Vs side by side:

FK Saturn V 42.jpg

The FlisKit Saturn is on the left, the Quest RTF MMX Saturn on the right.
I've flown them both side by side and the FlisKits Saturn V gets better altitude and is more stable than the stock Quest version.

The blog has more info:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2013/08/mmx-saturn-v-comparison.html

There was a discussion about MMX pad adapters about a year ago. I posted pics of my cheap-and-dirty low-tech adapter here

I had tried the other style of pad adapter that used the existing standard lauch rod, but I found the proximity of the standard rod kind of interfered with hookup. So I created this other version that didn't need to be steadied by the existing rod.

Since I never fly rockets except during club launches, I wanted something that could simply sit on the blast deflector plate and take advantage of the tilting functionality built into the club pad. The tiny clothes pin holds the MMX motor starter and the motor simply slides down on top of the starter tip. I use the clips from the club pad and since the PVC is non-conductive, I can even rest the clips on it.

How do the motors stay in place? Friction fit with masking tape or is that too thick?

Yes gererally Frictrion fit with masking tape I use 1/4" wide, a little harder to find the 1/2" but easier to mess with on the field.
I've also learned over the years to extend the motor tube about 3/16" out the rear of my micro models to allow both friction and external taping. Since starting this practice I have yet to kick a motor at ejection.

or using 20-22 ga stainless or plain steel music wire we can fashion micro motor hooks similar to the old style "estes" wire retainer hooks. An extra little bend on the forward end keeps them stationary and provides a place to tie our beading wire or Kevlar shock-lines even in minimum diameter models.

11_8pic Wadding Ball install Pg_03-26-06.jpg

MM 226b6a2_1st motor friction fit_09-18-09.JPG

MM 226b6b1_apply 1st motor external .25in tape_09-18-09.JPG

MM 226b6b3_1st motor external tape complete_09-18-09.JPG

Too funny. I suppose that there is a market for anything... but if I can shoot a spitball out of a straw and be more exited, then MicroMaxx's aren't for me!

There way more fun than spitballs. The Kraken gets up and goes pretty good.

DSCN0646.jpg

Last edited:
I just got my first MMX Kit today. It was given to me by Rocketry Forum Member Cavecentral.
It's the Fliskits Teeny Triskelion, the one I've wanted for quite some time now!
So far I have the Fins on, and next is to insert the Motor Mount/Shock Cord.
I'm lovin' it so far. The tiny parts only require the slightest of sanding with 220 Grit, and I'm using Titebond II to assemble it, using "Doublegluing" on the Fins.
I used a Q-tip dipped in Super Thin CA to seal the tiny Balsa Nose Cone, save for the Shoulder/Base of it, since I still have to attach the Shock Cord.
This is my first MMX, but I like working at this Scale, and think I will have to get more of these.
Now I have to get some Motors and a tiny Launch Rod.

Last edited:
I just got my first MMX Kit today. It was given to me by Rocketry Forum Member Cavecentral.
It's the Fliskits Teeny Triskelion, the one I've wanted for quite some time now!
So far I have the Fins on, and next is to insert the Motor Mount/Shock Cord.
I'm lovin' it so far. The tiny parts only require the slightest of sanding with 220 Grit, and I'm using Titebond II to assemble it, using "Doublegluing" on the Fins.
I used a Q-tip dipped in Super Thin CA to seal the tiny Balsa Nose Cone, save for the Shoulder/Base of it, since I still have to attach the Shock Cord.
This is my first MMX, but I like working at this Scale, and think I will have to get more of these.
Now I have to get some Motors and a tiny Launch Rod.

Wait til you get the Tiny Triskelion in the air! it's a Great flying Micro. One of my very favorite "Kit" Micro's a like to fly at demonstrations. super quick off the pad to impressive altitude and great recovery on Streamer. She almost always get plenty of "WOW!" from the crowd at ignition even from 50+ feet away.

Back